RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Please forgive me if i've missed something insanely obvious here. I saw four R3207 models listed on eBay on Saturday @ £130.00 including the post and alerted other members to it. Also, there was one for £135.00 which had already sold. There are SIX (yes SIX!) listed on there now for £115.95, see here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Loco-R3207-LNER-Cock-O-The-North-Class-P2-/390932866950?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5b056a2786

My question is how on earth are they available on eBay when big name shops don't have them yet (and can't even guarantee orders)? I saw one on this morning for £115.00 all in which I snapped up right away as i'd got a £20 voucher to spend :-).

Hello 84A, Not to answer your question but as one who responded to your alert on Saturday and ordered an R3207 for £120+£5 p&p from Chester Model Centre, I am happy to report that the model was dispatched Monday and arrived Tuesday in good health. I trust the other three customers had no issues with their purchases.

I suppose @ £130 all in, it was bit more than I might have paid but I didn't pre-order this time. A bit of a surprise really as a P2 is "up-my-street" but so many other things were expected during this models gestation that I had to make a choice. Still all's well that ends well and thanks once again to 84A for the alert. It is appreciated.

As for the model itself? I think all has been said regarding it's merit compared to the same company's best efforts. It can sit on the same layout as the A3s and A4s. maybe not at the front. 

RP

Hmnn. Mine, on pre-order with Hattons since July 2013, is apparently in the second batch which they expect "very shortly"... Disappointed as this was for Dad's 70th which was 2 months ago and still counting.

Hate to spoil the arrival party but mine was pre-ordered 17th December 2012 and I have, as yet, had no confirmation from Hattons when it will be available. In other words it will arrive when it arrives provided Hornby supply enough to cover even the ealiest of Hattons pre orders!

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just been thinking about the P2 and the sound fitted version, so had a look on Google, and came up with this result. At Amazon I see listed under Hornby Locomotives, in Toys and Games, they have sound fitted P2's. The price is £154.99. The R number is R3246TTS. There are, apparently, two left. They are dispatched and sold by Toy Arena. However, I do not know how accurate the listing is - have there been any sound fitted P2's in the shops yet, for I did not think that it has been released as yet.

Here is a link to the page:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-Gauge-Class-North-Locomotive/dp/B00JBDDB3U/ref=sr_1_9?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1410988461&sr=1-9&keywords=Hornby+locomotives.

All the best,

Market65.

. . . . . . . . .

As for the model itself? I think all has been said regarding it's merit compared to the same company's best efforts. It can sit on the same layout as the A3s and A4s. maybe not at the front. 

RP

A pity, because it's that front that makes it special. If, for some reason, a steam loco was needed for a "Star Trek" movie, they'd come up with something like that ...

Edit: Missed an apostrophe.

Edited by bluebottle

Hi. Just been thinking about the P2 and the sound fitted version, so had a look on Google, and came up with this result. At Amazon I see listed under Hornby Locomotives, in Toys and Games, they have sound fitted P2's. The price is £154.99. The R number is R3246TTS. There are, apparently, two left. They are dispatched and sold by Toy Arena. However, I do not know how accurate the listing is - have there been any sound fitted P2's in the shops yet, for I did not think that it has been released as yet.

Here is a link to the page:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-Gauge-Class-North-Locomotive/dp/B00JBDDB3U/ref=sr_1_9?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1410988461&sr=1-9&keywords=Hornby+locomotives.

All the best,

Market65.

That's interesting, if the sound version had been released I'd be admiring mine right now but I haven't gotten it yet and locomotion aren't expecting theirs until the second week in October I believe? Thank you for sharing that, I think something funny is going on there.

Thanks

Rhys

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting, if the sound version had been released I'd be admiring mine right now but I haven't gotten it yet and locomotion aren't expecting theirs until the second week in October I believe? Thank you for sharing that, I think something funny is going on there.

Thanks

Rhys

Hi, Rhys. Yes, it does seem very strange indeed. I've looked at Rails and Kernow, and others now, and everyone is still quoting either October or even December. I will not attempt to make a purchase!

Will be keeping an eye on that Amazon page however, out of curiosity, and see what happens.

All the best,

Market65.

Part of me is tempted to buy one, purely because I'm a bit impatient, but I will restrain myself because its very suspicious that they have them before Hornby do. Plus I think I've probably got a decent place in the Hattons queue for one at a better price (inclusive of postage) than theirs.

Rhys

Part of me is tempted to buy one, purely because I'm a bit impatient, but I will restrain myself because its very suspicious that they have them before Hornby do. Plus I think I've probably got a decent place in the Hattons queue for one at a better price (inclusive of postage) than theirs.

Rhys

Just had a look at their Amazon information page ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=&seller=A29EXOITOOI5M ) Lots of kiddy toys and a ragbag selection of Hornby trainsets and individual items.  Their address in Bicester is clearly displayed....

You never know, a few boxes of the TTS version might have got mixed in with the Main version!

I picked up my P2 (R3207) yesterday from AC Models at Eastleigh, Annette, the owner, only received six and they have all sold, however she still has four  of the R3171 in stock this morning, so, if you are after one of the Railroad versions it maybe worthwhile to phone her, the contact telephone number for AC Models is 02380 610100

Hello 84A, Not to answer your question but as one who responded to your alert on Saturday and ordered an R3207 for £120+£5 p&p from Chester Model Centre, I am happy to report that the model was dispatched Monday and arrived Tuesday in good health. I trust the other three customers had no issues with their purchases.

I suppose @ £130 all in, it was bit more than I might have paid but I didn't pre-order this time. A bit of a surprise really as a P2 is "up-my-street" but so many other things were expected during this models gestation that I had to make a choice. Still all's well that ends well and thanks once again to 84A for the alert. It is appreciated.

RP

Thanks Roy for the update, good to hear you got one safely. I would have bought one on Saturday, but was just a bit short money-wise, hence why I held off until yesterday when I could justify it. I haven't received mine yet, but from what i've read/heard about it I think the price of around £100-£140 is actually pretty good for the model that you get (if anything, I think Hornby may have undersold it). Admittedly, there are a few areas that could be improved on, but I think it would certainly cost most people a great deal more in both time and money to build one from a kit (such as Proscale) and get it to look anywhere near as good.

For anyone else interested, six were listed on eBay yesterday:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R3207-LNER-2-8-2-Cock-O-The-North-P2-Class-INSTOCK-NOW-STOCK-IS-LIMITED-/251648754256?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a976f4250

The price though is a little inflated and probably the most expensive i've seen to date.

EDIT: 5 Sold, 1 left.

Edited by 84A

• RMweb Premium

Sudden change of fortune at Melmerby Towers!

Went into Ian Allan in Birmingham and found they had just one R3207, which had not long arrived. (the only one delivered out of 6 ordered)

Couldn't resist, although it was a little more than the one I have on order at Model Railways Direct it was still a good price, bearing in mind their loyalty card scheme.

Shortly after I had snaffled it I heard the guy who served me say to another staff member that he had sold it. "I didn't think it would stay on the shelf very long!"

Happy Bunny again.

Keith

• Like 1

I ordered one a couple of years ago, but my modelling situation has changed and I'm selling off a lot of my own stock.  If anyone wants a brand new and unopened R3207 that was delivered yesterday, please contact me.  I haven't put this in the classified's yet as would rather it went to someone who really wanted a P2...

It's at the list price of £122.99 plus £8.50 for Royal Mail Special Delivery or UPS courier.  Payment by Paypal or Direct Bank transfer.

Edit:  Now sold…:-)

Edited by gordon s

Please inbox me if any of you have difficulty laying your hands on a p2. I may be able to help with one or two. The last I heard re TTS version was 2nd week in October. (But could arrive sooner). Inbox me if you want one.

Sandra

Hi again, Just wanted to post that my R3207 arrived today from Locomation in perfect condition and only 5 days in transit to Australia  - very impressed . So thank you Sandra & team.

Just an update on my R3207 P2 with a missing handrail. It was one of the approx 3cm silver handrails on the loco side near the cab.

As suggested, I telephoned Hornby, but the only spares they have for the P2 are the motor and the detailing packs.

So sadly I have to return it for a refund, as there are no replacements available.

Hopefully I will be able to get hold of the TTS version instead within the next few weeks. I'll see if the shop can reserve one for me and pay the difference.

It is a fantastic looking loco though, I'll just have to wait a little longer........