Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Just in passing, last week I got a new debit card and (surprisingly) remembered to go to the Hattons site and update the card details they held. Once it had accepted the new card details, a message popped up informing me that I now needed to go to each of my pre-orders and update the card details linked to each one as this wouldn't happen automatically.

So to be fair to Hattons, their system may be flawed but they do make efforts to alert you to its flaws.....

Strange; I've just updated my card details with them and it's linked to my sole pre-order automatically.  No message asking me to do it myself appeared.  Maybe manual input is only needed with multiple orders. 

Edited by BR(S)

Just in passing, last week I got a new debit card and (surprisingly) remembered to go to the Hattons site and update the card details they held. Once it had accepted the new card details, a message popped up informing me that I now needed to go to each of my pre-orders and update the card details linked to each one as this wouldn't happen automatically.

So to be fair to Hattons, their system may be flawed but they do make efforts to alert you to its flaws.....

Sadly mine was in date prior to pre order and still is in date after their cock up yesterday and the details were correct . I rechecked the card details  when this was first mentioned months back. Hattons will not see my card again , quite sad.

That certainly wasn't the case with mine and I too have more than one item on order but it does hopefully suggest that they've now updated their system - possibly as a result of having had a number of issues over it.

Since posting earlier, I've had another email from them stating my order should be ready for despatch on or after 14 November. Fingers crossed!  

Hi 

I had the same thing happen to me with the Bachmann C  class, saying my card was out of date,it was not!.

So i ended you missing the model, as when i phoned them was told my order had been sent to someone else.

Then a few days later i had an email saying they had some more come in,but it would be at the higher price!.

I cancelled my order.

• RMweb Premium

I received an email from them yesterday advising they had tried to debit my credit card but it was invalid. Not true. I called them and was asked if I'd updated my card details on-line recently. I said I had, about 6 weeks ago. I'd amended the expiry. I was told that although their system accepts this, it does not pass down to the original order which was still showing the old (expired) expiry. I was instructed that I should re-enter the full card details rather than just amend, not that I can see where it states as such on the site but I haven't looked since. Consequently, my order has passed to the next person on the list although I have been assured I will receive my P2 in the next batch. Certainly it would appear their system is flawed and I now have an anxious wait until the next batch arrives. It will certainly make me think hard about pre-ordering in future.        

The same happened to me with the Bachmann C class.  I posted here about it and Andy Y closed the post as "resolved" because Hattons assured me (and I assume assured him) that a warning would at least be given when updating card details.  It seems Hattons have not lived up to the promise yet - or at least perhaps not consistently.

Edited by Andy Hayter

Got my main range one yesterday and gave it a good run in yesterday. It has a few short comings like the Duke, but still VERY impressive!

If anyone is still looking give Locomotionmodels a shout. Excellent service and a brilliant experience. You mignt be paying a bit more than the likes of Hattons, but worth it in my view.

Got the loco home now. Loose screw was from the keeper plate.

Have not run it yet as I need to read the TTS instructions first.

Now unlike the other P2s, the TTS version has pickups on 4 of the tender wheels.

Like the full version, you need to fit cab doors yourself. Apart from TTS and tender pickups, it is the same as the full version.

Reading the instructions, the chip is quite impressive considering it only adds £20. It has:

1) back EMF

2) it will support front and rear lights running from F0 (very good)

3) one additional aux function (does that mean I can add smoke?)

4) 2 different and adjustable motor control methods

5) volume of sounds can be adjusted

6) possible to adjust sound to speed

7) decoder is not hard wired but attached by 8 pin plug

8) speaker is round 28mm one

Limitations:

1) only main plus one spot sound can be played at a time

2) decoder does not support sound for DC operation. That implies it will run on DC, however the guide is not clear on this point.

3) Max current draw is 800mA

4) light and aux functions limited to 100mA

Wish me luck trying her out later tonight...

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

For those that fitted the detail. Does it impact the front wheel on curves? And if not what's the tightest curves you run it on?

Hi

The steps are in fact clear of the pony truck!

The ejector pipes are very flexible but do impede the pony a little.

I've been running mine through standard set track points and its ok, hesitates a little now but more than acceptable :)

Just picked up  my TTS version today, all seems very good and a very high quality finish. But I'm a bit uncomfortable with the gap between the loco and the tender. I'm sure someone may have mentioned earlier in this thread that it can be sorted out.

All good though, very pleased

I cannot recall ever seeing working Lentz Rotary Cam or Caprotti valve gear even on a 4mm locos built from kits. 

Quite. To have working Lentz/Caprotti valve gear would require some serious precision model engineering, if it were possible at all, and god knows what that would do to the cost.