Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Well Done Callum, loved the video, you are right this version of the P2 is excellent, do I get my wallet out now or wait for the enhanced detail product ????. Hmmm decisions, lol  :thankyou:  

Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed it!  ;)  Totally up to you, but I can safely say the Railroad version is superb! :sungum:  :locomotive:

Had a look at one of these at our club night last night. Very nice,runs smoothly, pulls OK, goes round sharper corners than the real one ever did...very nice!

So next up the turbomotive?

Now a Turbomotive would be something indeed, it would sell like "Hot Cakes", can't wait until December to find out what they intend to produce in 2015.

Hornby it seems have got their quality control sorted looking at their new stock !!!! 

After a bit of observation of my P2 loco I have a question. Do others feel that the chimneys are set a little too high and that they even lean backwards slightly? Given the reported generous applications of factory glue to the joints in this model, I suspect I may resort to simply filing the plain rim of the chimney to get it just so rather than attempting to unseat and then reseat it.

Now a Turbomotive would be something indeed, it would sell like "Hot Cakes", can't wait until December to find out what they intend to produce in 2015.

Hornby it seems have got their quality control sorted looking at their new stock !!!! 

Do a proper Princess Royal, make tooling for Turbomotive and (if very short lived) Princess Anne, and they will sell quicker than fries at McDonalds!

• RMweb Gold

After a bit of observation of my P2 loco I have a question. Do others feel that the chimneys are set a little too high and that they even lean backwards slightly? Given the reported generous applications of factory glue to the joints in this model, I suspect I may resort to simply filing the plain rim of the chimney to get it just so rather than attempting to unseat and then reseat it.

I hadn't noticed it till you mentioned it, a couple of minutes with a file put that right ;)

• RMweb Gold

Some may question your sense of what is important, but not me!  Bulleids first, and Gresley....     hmmm     no I have to say I am dying to see a nicely weathered P2.

I can neither confirm or deny that the P2 has entered the 'Dirt Works'  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Do a proper Princess Royal, make tooling for Turbomotive and (if very short lived) Princess Anne, and they will sell quicker than fries at McDonalds!

Maybe Hattons and DJ Models could hop on this Express if indeed Hornby are doing a King... 

Would get some of my pennies anyway. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Further to my post 1277, I.ve got a bit done to the tender of my P2 with the lining, lettering and replacing the moulded handrails with seperate ones. Maybe tomorrow I shall be getting started on the red lining of the frames, etc,.

post-22631-0-57796200-1409863491_thumb.jpg.

There will be more coming...

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 6

I can neither confirm or deny that the P2 has entered the 'Dirt Works'  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Ah but I have a suspicion that something will appear soon.    The public are getting restless you know.   I have received my box from Liverpool this very hour and will be weathering my engine virtually within the next day or two... 

p.s. isn't Market65's work superb!  Makes the engine look great, and roll on the 'main range' version from Hornby.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Hi. Further to my post 1277, I.ve got a bit done to the tender of my P2 with the lining, lettering and replacing the moulded handrails with seperate ones. Maybe tomorrow I shall be getting started on the red lining of the frames, etc,.

attachicon.gif100_6068 - Copy.JPG.

There will be more coming...

All the best,

Market65.

Very good , all it needs is a better black line between the white ones on the tender...

It is impressive as a model.

The one I looked at looked like it had a straight/flat chimney. It would be nice though to see Hotnby rework their Princess and Duchess to a more accurate,P2 type model...one day maybe...

• RMweb Gold

Very good , all it needs is a better black line between the white ones on the tender...

It is impressive as a model.

The one I looked at looked like it had a straight/flat chimney. It would be nice though to see Hotnby rework their Princess and Duchess to a more accurate,P2 type model...one day maybe...

Hi, Barry O. Yes, the whitie-black-white lining on the tender is probably one of the last parts of the black and white lining to be done. Well spotted! I hope to get both sides done tomorrow before starting on the red lining.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

I don't think the black between the white lines is over-important, the eye tends not to pick up on this, the work done is fantastic and the fine red lining on the frame detail will make it even more-so.

Contratulations Market65 (as I set up my P2 for its first photo!)

On comparing pictures in posts 1178 & 1179 I'm even more inclined to think that there is an epidemic of chimney position faults in these models: Too high, at least at the front rim anyway. Should be dead-level with the straight top of the boiler cladding.

On comparing pictures in posts 1178 & 1179 I'm even more inclined to think that there is an epidemic of chimney position faults in these models: Too high, at least at the front rim anyway. Should be dead-level with the straight top of the boiler cladding.

Yes, I checked mine last night & mine is too high too. I'm not sure if it's an assembly positional fault or the chimney itself is too tall though.

The images on this site seem to show the chimney is higher than the cladding although I agree photo's of the model look a little higher than photos of the prototype:

http://www.lner.info/locos/P/p2.shtml

However, unless we get orthographic shots, one should be careful of how the mind interprets things when photographed from an angle, look at the second turret of this battleship image below, one would quickly have an impression that guns are elevated at 40 to 45 degrees:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackdiamondimages/8527834776/

In fact they could not elevate more than 30.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

That is amazing!  :O What did you use?

Thanks.

It was mostly done with an Airbrush using Vallejo Model Air Acrylics (Nato Black, Dark Panzer Grey & Olive Drab) and a very thinned down Tamiya X-22 Clear (to create the damp/ condensation patches). Then hand painted the buffers and coupling rods with Railmatch Oily Steel and then oiled up using Tamiya X-19 Smoke ;)