Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Nice work, Graeme!

@Mikesndbs

Strange you had to use your file. Mine was a direct fit, OK maybe a bit tight.

At least it now runs OK!

Leen.

Hi Leen

Yes, had to skim a fair bit off the front otherwise I could not get it to fit in the cradle.

Video underway

Update: Got the original motor on test off load, I find it starts to turn at 4 volts, however once running it dips in speed a fair bit.

Has anyone else tested this? even the Smokey Joe motors I have don't do this?

Is that with the flywheel fitted? Smokey Joe won't have that.

My P2 in DC mode (chip removed, blanking plate fitted to run it in) will not start to move until 6 volts. A skew wound five pole on my Hornby A1 will start moving 0.6 volts for comparison.  

At slow speeds, the chips emf, struggles to keep her steady. I will post a video later showing her running on small DCC test layout.

If they use the cheapy motor in the Crosti 9F, I think I will give it a miss!

Hi all

Here is my video showing the new motor in place and the results, along with experiments etc

Just as a comment, where as before if I used my feedback controller I could get smooth operation from the original motor, with this new one it hates feedback and seems to run slowly!

Edited by mikesndbs
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Here is my video showing the new motor in place and the results, along with experiments etc

Just as a comment, where as before if I used my feedback controller I could get smooth operation from the original motor, with this new one it hates feedback and seems to run slowly!

This is interesting. Some motors,I have been told,can be degraded by feedback controllers,notably coreless motors ,e.g.Faulhaber. Is this currently the perceived wisdom ....or not ? I'm assuming yours is not such. More info.on this from other forum members might be very useful.

This is interesting. Some motors,I have been told,can be degraded by feedback controllers,notably coreless motors ,e.g.Faulhaber. Is this currently the perceived wisdom ....or not ? I'm assuming yours is not such. More info.on this from other forum members might be very useful.

Hi, would never use anything other than a very good smooth DC on coreless motors! I only got my feedback controller out to see if it would improve the original motor, it did but with the expected noise. 

As you've discarded the original motor in favour of the 5-pole replacement, have you considered heating the flywheel on the old motor to expand it off the armature shaft and then pushing it onto the stub of armature shaft that projects from the rear of the 5 pole motor before it cools down again?

Here is my P2 running on my experimental end 2 end DCC layout this weekend at Crulai show:

P2 is running last 80 seconds from the end. Sorry about poor video quality. I am not that impressed with the P2 unfortunately. Note the tender vibrating in tow as it judders along at slow speed.

All movements automated using Hornby,s railmaster and elink system ( a really dreadful system).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

@Mikesndbs

Nice video, Mike.

I haven't tested the old motor yet, and I have given the P2 a DCC decoder with stay alive, so I'm not too much worried about the missing flywheel.

@Graeme

I have done the same replacement as Mike in his video. Will you be at Warley again?

Leen.

I've just been looking at Service Sheet 260C for the King Class loco.

The King doesn't have a flywheel fitted to the X9108 motor.

So why does the P2 need one?

Sorry if it is a daft question.

Mike.

Not essential perhaps, but desirable for significant added momentum to ensure smooth running notwithstanding lack of pick-ups on tender wheels and trucks, and achieved without recourse to large capacitors.

Now got my CoN etched  nameplates (modelmaster), going to try using matt vanish to fix them, as suggested (sorry can't remember who by) earlier in this thread.

Shame about reported motor problems, my railroad one just keeps on going, slow runner, very smooth, had it running each time I've spent any time in loft and it must have run 17 hrs or so in total, (ok, that's not a lot of it's service life but nothing's fallen off yet).  That's on dc.

Nice video, J.spencer, that C class sounds good. What chip is that?

• RMweb Premium

At slow speeds, the chips emf, struggles to keep her steady.

That could be dependent on the quality of decoder.

Some seem more accomplished than others at controlling a motor.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Now got my CoN etched  nameplates (modelmaster), going to try using matt vanish to fix them, as suggested (sorry can't remember who by) earlier in this thread.

Shame about reported motor problems, my railroad one just keeps on going, slow runner, very smooth, had it running each time I've spent any time in loft and it must have run 17 hrs or so in total, (ok, that's not a lot of it's service life but nothing's fallen off yet).  That's on dc.

Nice video, J.spencer, that C class sounds good. What chip is that?

Loksound from Olivia's.

As you've discarded the original motor in favour of the 5-pole replacement, have you considered heating the flywheel on the old motor to expand it off the armature shaft and then pushing it onto the stub of armature shaft that projects from the rear of the 5 pole motor before it cools down again?

Wow, is that all I need to do? I'd love the flywheel, the capacitors only make a slight difference! 

You might not even need to heat it or use anything fancy like a proper puller. if you don't want to save the original motor you could try just pulling the flywheel off, gripping the motor body or the old worm gear to get the necessary purchase. You presumably won't be bothered if either the motor bearings or the worm gear get wrecked by the pulling. Once the flywheel is off, you may be able to just lay it on the bench and press or lightly tap the armature shaft of the new motor home into the flywheel, keeping it square and straight as you do so.  

Only an idea......

How would one manage to get the flywheel a whole millimetre off-centre when the hole is pre-drilled dead-on? A mil is quite a lot compared to the size of the parts.

Perhaps you could push the flywheel on squarely using a vice. Set the motor and flywheel up between the jaws with just enough light contact to hold them in place, use a square and the mark one eyeball to check that the armature shaft is perpendicular to the jaws of the vice in both the horizontal and vertical planes, then gently nip up the vice until the flywheel has gone on far enough to remain stable on the shaft. Obviously it doesn't want to go on so far that it tightens up against the motor body or interferes with re-fitting of the motor into its designated space in the chassis.