Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

• 2 weeks later...

Having been able to pick up one of the TTS P2s recently, I've noticed that the exhaust beat doesn't match with the wheel revolution of a 3 cylindered loco. Has anyone been able to play with the CVs of the TTS decoder and adjusted them to give a more realistic exhaust beat? If so, which CV(s) and to what value(s) should I set them?

Having been able to pick up one of the TTS P2s recently, I've noticed that the exhaust beat doesn't match with the wheel revolution of a 3 cylindered loco. Has anyone been able to play with the CVs of the TTS decoder and adjusted them to give a more realistic exhaust beat? If so, which CV(s) and to what value(s) should I set them?

That's because Hornby only have a 2 and 4 cylinder tts sound file they never bothered to do a 3 cylinder which is odd as 3 of the first tts loco's were all 3 cylinder, P2, A4, and A1. As it is the sound file which is wrong for the loco type adjusting the cv's wont make much difference I'm afraid.

That's because Hornby only have a 2 and 4 cylinder tts sound file they never bothered to do a 3 cylinder which is odd as 3 of the first tts loco's were all 3 cylinder, P2, A4, and A1. As it is the sound file which is wrong for the loco type adjusting the cv's wont make much difference I'm afraid.

I was of the opinion that Hornby copied their sound files and recordings off Tornado - the two whistles the engine has being a particular reference to this. Hence it is a 3 cylinder engine that is recorded. Despite this, the sound files don't match the wheel revolution for the A1 or P2. Because it is a TTS chip there is no way to change the CV settings. Its a case of like it for its worth or replace the chip if needed. 

I was of the opinion that Hornby copied their sound files and recordings off Tornado - the two whistles the engine has being a particular reference to this. Hence it is a 3 cylinder engine that is recorded. Despite this, the sound files don't match the wheel revolution for the A1 or P2. Because it is a TTS chip there is no way to change the CV settings. Its a case of like it for its worth or replace the chip if needed. 

When I asked, I was told that each engine's sound is "built" from recordings. Clearly, with the P2, they had to shop around for another source. However, having listened to Tornado, I hear it as a 3 cylinder. There is a definitely different note every third beat. 

As far as the synch for the wheels and exhaust, I was told that this was one of the compromises of making such an affordable sound chip. It does seem to meet in certain places on the speed scale, but not in others. This seems to suggest that adjusting it for one place would make another worse! You can change some TTS CV's, but I don't want to, because if I c*ck it up, I can't just get the chip re-written!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Would the P2s have ever run in Wartime Black I know by 1942 most would

have been rebuilt . But i think they might look even more of a mighty power unit .

A Rail Road version might get a revamp in time Hmm ?.

Hey it's your model. If you want to run it in wartime black then go ahead. I'd love to see it.

Re being sensitive to track laying, one effect of coming back to US outline after many years away is that I have learnt quite a bit about 8-coupled locos. There are various versions, most with flange less drivers on the 2 & 3 axles, and they are all very sensitive to vertical irregularities in tne track

• RMweb Premium

The front of the P2 boiler barrel is a seperate section so it is very likely they will produce a streamlined P2 at some point.

If you open the service sheet 401b on the Hornby website

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/download/item/432

You will see that there is a slope at the front of the chassis top more in keeping with the"A4" style front.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

When Simon Kohler was still at Hornby he was quoted as saying that the tooling had been designed to allow for other versions depending on demand

Maybe we should all write to his successor to that effect

I'm sure the speed the models sold would be an obvious sign to Hornby.