Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

Have I got the wrong term, Mike? As I said I'm not the most knowledgeable about the technical stuff!

Edit to add:

Ah, the eBay add says it's a Mk 1 gangwayed full brake.

That's more likely!

Ah, the building that suffered the ultimate indignity of the weird mis-naming as 'Signal Point' - when I was in there my office window was one of those on the end just to the right of the Hymek  (I didn't realise BR folk had been in there before we moved in in 1992?)

It turns out that I was talking absolute rubbish.  Dad was based at Western House, about 300m from the station.  I'm sure I have vivid memories of going in that building, though!

Anyway, here's the mail train with the new full brake in it:

2012_07_18_1170-1.JPG

Apologies for picture quality, having real difficulty with the depth of field!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It turns out that I was talking absolute rubbish.  Dad was based at Western House, about 300m from the station.  I'm sure I have vivid memories of going in that building, though!

Anyway, here's the mail train with the new full brake in it:

2012_07_18_1170-1.JPG

Apologies for picture quality, having real difficulty with the depth of field!

Ah, that now makes sense as I was fairly sure that we were the first railway folk into the block by the station and that the civils had gone elsewhere when they were shipped to Swindon.  As it happens Western House was the final office building I occupied during my 9 years at Swindon - and very briefly as things turned out - and it was the last office I was in anywhere on Western territory (and it's a few months over 29 years since I was in there).

EWhat camera are you using - depth of field can be murder on model subjects.

Canon EOS 1100D. I had it set on f22 on an 18mm lens (needed to be that wide to get the whole train in) & this was the result.

I know why now. I'd had to use autofocus & the LCD screen as to get the camera far enough back I couldn't use the viewfinder or manual focus properly.

Having looked at the raw image it was focussed on a piece of the backing, not the train. Ho-hum!

As I'm moving shortly I have to fold the railway away. All the BR Blue & modern stuff now boxed up, but while preparing to play in a Sevens tournament tomorrow have fished out all my GWR stuff to make a quick film clip, including a shot of a mail coach collecting a bag with the net apparatus...

• 3 weeks later...

Canon EOS 1100D. I had it set on f22 on an 18mm lens (needed to be that wide to get the whole train in) & this was the result.

I know why now. I'd had to use autofocus & the LCD screen as to get the camera far enough back I couldn't use the viewfinder or manual focus properly.

Having looked at the raw image it was focussed on a piece of the backing, not the train. Ho-hum!

As I'm moving shortly I have to fold the railway away. All the BR Blue & modern stuff now boxed up, but while preparing to play in a Sevens tournament tomorrow have fished out all my GWR stuff to make a quick film clip, including a shot of a mail coach collecting a bag with the net apparatus...

I use the highest F number and set up to central focus only. Try it it may give you a better result, also try using the self portrait mode with the camera resting on something.

I use the highest F number and set up to central focus only. Try it it may give you a better result, also try using the self portrait mode with the camera resting on something.

Thanks, normally do all these things.  The self-timer tip was one I got from Andy Y here at a lecture at Pendon - he saved me a fortune in unnecessary kit like remote releases!  I just took this shot in a rush & didn't have time to recompose...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

2 colour views of the same class 40 hauled parcel train in 1968

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5606414747/

Very nice shots. I'll have a stab at the consist........

Loco+exSR PMV+exLMS B (or BG)+Mk1 BG+GUV+GUV+Mk1 BG+SPV+exGWR Fruit D?+exLNER Thompson matchboard BG+Mk1 BG+exSR PMV

Any advances?

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stove

I would agree except the last but one coach, do you think it might be a BSK?

The Fruit D in fresh blue looks great.

The LMS brake is possibly a BG, it wasn't unit the 70s that the gangways were removed from GWR and LMS brake vans.

Yes I agree a BSK. I must admit I didn't look too closely at the Mk1s. The freshly painted blue wagon initially looked to me like a Special Parcels Van (ex blue spot fish van), but it doesn't seem to have roof ribs on closer inspection. I had the Fruit D pegged as the very dirty one behind it, like this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicks_railways/245873275/

245873275_dff672d138_z.jpg?zz=1

Fruit D Goods van by Nick's Railways, on Flickr

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Very nice shots. I'll have a stab at the consist........

Loco+exSR PMV+exLMS B (or BG)+Mk1 BG+GUV+GUV+Mk1 BG+SPV+exGWR Fruit D?+exLNER Thompson matchboard BG+Mk1 BG+exSR PMV

Any advances?

I'll raise you to

Loco+exSR Van C (Guard's periscopes on roof and centre single door)+exLMS BG+Mk1 BG+GUV+GUV+Mk1 BG+exGW Fruit D+exLNER Long CCT+exLNER Thompson matchboard BG+Mk1 BSK (B4 bogies)+exSR PMV

• RMweb Gold

I'm enjoying finding out the actual vehicles in this parcels train as they are two of Dad's photos.

To save you having to go to flickr to see the photos I'm posting them here.

post-5613-0-80389600-1380200277_thumb.jpg

d Beckfoot Class 40 D307 down parcels April 68 J1259

That's me at the bottom of the photo.

post-5613-0-84191700-1380200281_thumb.jpg

d Beckfoot Class 40 D307 down parcels April 68 J1260

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm enjoying finding out the actual vehicles in this parcels train as they are two of Dad's photos.

To save you having to go to flickr to see the photos I'm posting them here.

attachicon.gifd Beckfoot Class 40 D307 down parcels April 68 J1259.jpg

d Beckfoot Class 40 D307 down parcels April 68 J1259

That's me at the bottom of the photo.

attachicon.gifd Beckfoot Class 40 D307 down parcels April 68 J1260.jpg

d Beckfoot Class 40 D307 down parcels April 68 J1260

David

I'm looking to model that in its entirety as a typical visitor to the Waverley route, with D307 when Bachmann's example appears.

Thanks David for making access to the pics a little easier, your dad took some shots that are invaluable to many of us 45 years on.  What a fantastic legacy!

• 1 month later...