Smallest railway works in the UK?

JeffP

I suspect Ryde might be the one, but was on a line with no connections to the mainland.

Springhead? Wasn't that an ENORMOUS shed though?

I've just thought of Caerphily? Or Newton Abbott too.

You may need to define "railway works"; is the criterion that it should have constructed its own locos? Would Boston Lodge count for example?

Best wishes

Eric

Hmmmmmm, yes, my criteria was quite poorly defined.

OK, a railway works with connections to the mainline in the UK and having constructed it's own locos.

I assume the biggest was Crewe?

• RMweb Premium

At any particular time period? If not the old ECR works at Romford (actually Gidea Park but always referred to as Romford.) This was replaced by Stratford very soon after construction and became a railway wagon tarpaulin works. 

Hi,

If we get to go back to earliest days : Burntisland - Edinburgh & Northern Railway then NBR.Mainly repairs /rebuilds of early Hawthorns etc but did build a few new locos in the 1860s. The running shed was a roundhouse which dominated the site which was squeezed into a small triangle on the station approach. The workshops must have been quite small in area

best wishes,

Ian

There are a number of Welsh contenders. The Taff Vale, although a fairly large and very prosperous railway had a works in south Cardiff which was so cramped that 0-6-2Ts had to have their pony trucks removed to fit on the traverser. The Brecon & Methyr had a small works at Machen and there are lots of other contenders, Port Talbot, Rhondda & Swansea Bay, Neath & Brecon, etc.

Mornington Crescent

Regards

Richard

Whoops! Sorry Wrong game.......

But similar rules.

Not Springhead - a pretty large depot but mainly repair and maintenance. I believe H&BR locos were bullt by outside contractors, albeit to H&B designs.

Springhead was at the bottom of my garden and played a very important part in the development of my railway mania! By that time (1950s) it was solely an MPD and wagon repair shop.

Not Springhead - a pretty large depot but mainly repair and maintenance. I believe H&BR locos were bullt by outside contractors, albeit to H&B designs.

All H&B loco's were built by contractors, nevertheless Springhead works was self sufficent and did quite a few re-builds. Post 1922 the NER stripped out a lot of the machine tools and sent them and the men to Darlington. Even so heavy work was still caried out for many years.

Wagons were built there until the late 50's early '60's, repair work ceased early '70's. Best Wishes, Mick.

There are a number of Welsh contenders. The Taff Vale, although a fairly large and very prosperous railway had a works in south Cardiff which was so cramped that 0-6-2Ts had to have their pony trucks removed to fit on the traverser. The Brecon & Methyr had a small works at Machen and there are lots of other contenders, Port Talbot, Rhondda & Swansea Bay, Neath & Brecon, etc.

Tyndall St. - one time engineering HQ of the Cardiff Railway, I doubt you'd get smaller.

Brian R

How about Percy Main - Blyth & Tyne Railway, they built a few of their own locos?

If we are talking industrial then there are many locations which could count as being big enough to built and service small tank locos.

Moor Road workshop of the current Middleton Railway.  If you check it is still main line connected.

Not rail connected I'd probably say the Round Foundry works in Leeds.  But they made the first commercially built locos from 1812 onwards.

• RMweb Gold

How about Percy Main - Blyth & Tyne Railway, they built a few of their own locos?

If we are talking industrial then there are many locations which could count as being big enough to built and service small tank locos.

Moor Road workshop of the current Middleton Railway.  If you check it is still main line connected.

Not rail connected I'd probably say the Round Foundry works in Leeds.  But they made the first commercially built locos from 1812 onwards.

Very much a main line company, becoming a major part of the NER, they built much of the Tyneside suburban lines.

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree with Brian here. Tyndall Street (Cardiff Railway).

Then Machen Brecon & Merthyr Railway.

Caerphilly ( Rhymney Railway) was actually quite large, larger than Bute Road (Taff Vale). Barry, (Barry Railway)

On the narrow gauge, I'd offer Pant, Brecon Mountain. They have built diesel locomotives for themselves, and Vale of Rheidol.

Regards,

Ian

As the OP was somewhat vague, this leaves the door open for any number of 'facilities' .....

How about the works of the Cymric Trading Co. who were dealers in locomotives, primarily supplying industrial operations with locomotives, sometimes purchased from mainline companies. In addition they bought, repaired, narrow gauge equipment, locos, stock and trackwork from a corrugated tin shed located on a siding at Waterhall Jct. between Penarth Curve North and Radyr Quarry Jct.

As a youngster, I, and my mates used to slip in through the fence and ride in narrow gauge mine trams years before Indiana Jones rode in one !

Brian R

Archived