Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

• RMweb Gold

Well generally on a first date I wouldn't mention it. Then usually once I'm caught, in one girlfriends case that was 2 years, I blame my interest on my late Grandfather! Although converting over to P4 certainly wasn't his idea, I blaime RMWeb for that, which equally I wouldn't mention that I'm a member of on a first date!

Shoulda followed the Official DRAG advice, I think, there, old boy!.... ;)  :P

(and yes, gentle reader, we did share his pain!! :lol:  :P )

• RMweb Gold

don't tell them on first date and for God's sake don't take them to a model railway exhibition on the first date. :nono:

Well, that's exactly what CTMK & I did on our second date, although the cat was well and truely out of the bag even by that time - we met in the local bookshop (best transport selection in the area, in it's day), she as a current employee and me as an ex-employee who kept visiting the place because the owner still let me have staff discount on books!... :D

The railway books were all in the downstairs basement of the shop, a place that CTMK came to call 'Gricers Grotto'... :lol:

The owner had asked me and Simon C (now of Titfield Thunderbolt fame) to help out at the Bristol model railway show that year (it was still being held in the Watershed at the time), as the shop always had a stand there. It seemed entirely logical, therefore, to start the day out with CTMK from there, once I'd finished my stint behind the counter (CTMK didn't cover the shows herself, and when she turned up, they all thought she had come to help out on the stand, they were all a bit surprised to say the least when we walked off arm-in-arm to look at the layouts!)...

On a more general note, most of us (?all of us?) have 'railways in the blood' to a greater or lesser extent. In my book, that means that you're not just going to give up a life-long hobby and interest to suit the needs of what could be only a temporary relationship. If you did, I'm sure that sooner or later you'd get 'itchy feet' and the railway interest would re-surface... so why hide something to begin with that is only going to come to the surface sooner or later?!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 11

It pretty much goes without saying that if you feel ashamed of it, it will come across that way when you talk about it.

A very good point. No point hiding who you are either. I work somewhere where my interest is more likely to have the p*ss taken out of me than anyway else I think! But nobody is too bothered aside from when there's a special and I get a lot of phone call for details about what's on it!

Some of you may have noticed, I really don't care what people think! :D Accept me as I am - thankfully Suzi did!

Repressing your interests, or expecting a partner to relinquish his/hers, is a recipe for an early split, I would say.

Suzi said that stopping me from doing what I enjoyed would only lead to resentment.

The other thing in all of this is, I'd hope, is you choose to be with someone where you want to spend time with them too, for no reason other than you want to!

• Like 5

Looking fairly good, really. I'm overdue the farrier, but as they no longer have shoes on, that isn't too terrible. Teeth were rasped in November. Varian will be 32 this year.

I got confused and still thought this was in relation to 'wmoen' as per the title! :O

• Like 5

Of course there is another option, find a woman who is helping at a model railway show. There are women out there who are interested in Model Railways themselves you know.

Missy :)

See you at St Albans, then

Bill

I find myself on a bit of a winner these days ( trying desperately not to sound smug )

I met my wife ( 12 years younger than me - winner number 1 ) and on our first real date, discovered that I actually new her Dad very well from years ago, as he is a well known Narrow gauge modeller ( winner number 2 ) - this was before I had even got around to mentioning 'The Hobby', so I was onto a good thing from the outset..........

We've been together 9 years and have two lovely children, but even from the outset, my wife ( then girlfriend, would often come to a show at closing time and help us all knock down Leamside and then transport it back to the clubrooms ( winner number 3 ) - before we had the kids, obviously.

These days, as she is used to her father being a modeller, she is more than happy for me to dissapear into the shed for hours at a time ( in fact as I sit here typing this, she has just suggested I go down to the shed for a couple of hours as I am just getting over that 'orrid Noro Virus thing and havn't been whittling since last Thursday - winner number 4 )

It's never a problem going to exhibitions or railway themed days out ( winner number 5 ) and she is more than content sitting on a train all day herself.......

Apologies again if I sound a bit smug, but to be honest, I think I've 'never had it so good' - 16'x 9' airconditioned shed with spray booth as a workshop and the garage for me to build layouts in. Anyone else find themselves in a lucky position like me?

.............somehow I've got a feeling that the can opener I've just taken to the tin in my hand has resulted in worms everywhere.................

• Like 5