New Mk1 coach

dibber25

Perhaps it's unfair to criticise these pre-production examples, but I will anyway....

Just a couple of points: the bottom lining band should be above the door stops rather than in line with them. also the bodyside running number seems too high , to my eyes at least.

Pity about those roof ribs....Hornby should've followed the Hachette model rather than the Bachmann one in that respect.

• RMweb Gold

To me they look good for the price point but those roof ribs.  Why????? (Unless it's so people can mix and match Railroad with Bachmanns in rakes).

Anyway, no-one's mentioned the mix of BR Mk1 and Commonwealth bogies so I'll be the first.  Presumably they'll ring the changes with various numbers and bogies as batches are issued?

They'll be a far easier blend with the herds of Hachette coaches out there in the wild....

The couple of Hachette's I obtained have had new under frames and pipe runs replaced with wire .  ;)

Personally I have plenty of Mk1's, but it would be nice to see BSO's, FO's and other catering vehicles appearing.

Corrected for spelling.

I need to get my copy of Parkin out later - for work reasons, tantalisingly!  While it's on the kitchen table, I'll try and work out what key types we're still short of.  

I agree the two you mention are pretty crucial, the BSO especially as a pseudo-Scottish modeller.

pseudo here applying to Scottish as in ScR, not my birth cert.

I need to get my copy of Parkin out later - for work reasons, tantalisingly!  While it's on the kitchen table, I'll try and work out what key types we're still short of.  

I agree the two you mention are pretty crucial, the BSO especially as a pseudo-Scottish modeller.

There are three Mark I passenger types of which more than 100 examples were built where there has been no recent 00 model. They are:

RB - modelled very well for its day by Mainline over 30 years ago - long time span, lots of liveries, all regions

FO (Diag 73) - already modelled in N by Farish, was also done some years ago by Replica in 00 but not to current standard - long time span (60 years and still going if you count charter sets) - lots of liveries, all regions

BSO - no RTR model has ever been made in 00 or N so far as I am aware - mostly Eastern but other regions had them too - the WR had at least one in chocolate and cream.  None on the SR.

To me they look good for the price point but those roof ribs.  Why????? (Unless it's so people can mix and match Railroad with Bachmanns in rakes).

Anyway, no-one's mentioned the mix of BR Mk1 and Commonwealth bogies so I'll be the first.  Presumably they'll ring the changes with various numbers and bogies as batches are issued?

Interesting in that Triang in 1960 managed to put very good roof ribs on their new Mark 1 coaches, such is progress.  Roger.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting in that Triang in 1960 managed to put very good roof ribs on their new Mark 1 coaches, such is progress.  Roger.

One of the regulars who gets mentioned on the ebay madness thread has these to illustrate the point

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-Hornby-BR-MAROON-MK1-COMPOSITE-BRAKE-COACH-x-2-NICE-my/360771039881?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18220%26meid%3D2286531427609910118%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8339%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D171158470982%26

Pity about  the price -  I used to buy them at around 50p each, but that was 35 years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Image from the DoG train pack... Just wanted to post the image here to show that the coaches have metal wheels on them :)

The pre-prod pics posted by Andy on 26 October show what appear to be plastic wheels and most Hornby promo and catalogue pictures use computer generated images - so i reckon the best way to find out what sort of wheels these coaches will have is to wait and see what is on them when the production versions arrive (but is metal cheaper than plastic nowadays I wonder?)

The pre-prod pics posted by Andy on 26 October show what appear to be plastic wheels and most Hornby promo and catalogue pictures use computer generated images - so i reckon the best way to find out what sort of wheels these coaches will have is to wait and see what is on them when the production versions arrive (but is metal cheaper than plastic nowadays I wonder?)

It has been stated in the past that the early pre-production models had plastic wheels. The image I posted is what Hornby have claimed to be THE LATEST pre-production samples. If I'm not mistaken what Andy had are part of the previous EP samples. So yes it is best to wait and see what it gets but I'm sure about metal wheels.

Though the coaches are from the railroad range it's not difficult to conclude that they are higher spec compared to the rest of the railroad models.

Rails have sent out emails advertising a Hornby Railroad range Mk.I in choc & cream at discount. Would this be and earlier railroad product (?), 'cos if it is things are going to by mighty confusing!

The MK1s were never within the Railroad range, so it should probably be the new one, and according to their website the choc & cream CSK is in stock (the rest are working from catalogue images and listed as "forthcoming").

The MK1s were never within the Railroad range, so it should probably be the new one

It is indeed the new one. It's pretty obvious when you look at it.

However, after a little speculation I did seem to come up with this.... (to me it seems to be the actual case)

- All the new Mk1s (single pieces) in the railroad range have plastic wheels

- All Mk1s in the "HERITAGE RAIL EXPRESS" train pack (sold in the main range) come with metal wheels.

Archived