Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

Hi all. I've checked a couple of my GG locos and I can confirm the same positional faults. Some are better than others. I don't appear to have any paint defects but my cab door has fallen off my UoSA class A4. It's not broken though so could be glued back on. Is this something that I should get Hornby to sort out under warranty?

Thanks

Steve

If its just the cab door, sort it yourself with a blob of PVA. I say PVA as it can be washed off if there is any accident.

Posting it off the Hornby will a) cost you, and b) run the risk of damage in the post.

But then again, if we all fix things ourselves, manufacturers are not aware of faults...

Guest spet0114

Just out of interest - how are the GG A4s doing in respect of sand-pipes and lamp irons? A few years ago, Hornby seemed to be struggling to ship an A4 with a full set of both, but with a bit of luck the modern A4s are a little better in this respect...

Cheers
Adrian

Just out of interest - how are the GG A4s doing in respect of sand-pipes and lamp irons? A few years ago, Hornby seemed to be struggling to ship an A4 with a full set of both, but with a bit of luck the modern A4s are a little better in this respect...

Cheers

Adrian

All 6 six of mine have all of their lamp brackets still inplace as per the photos I've posted in this topic.

Mr B

If its just the cab door, sort it yourself with a blob of PVA. I say PVA as it can be washed off if there is any accident.

Posting it off the Hornby will a) cost you, and b) run the risk of damage in the post.

But then again, if we all fix things ourselves, manufacturers are not aware of faults...

If you contact Hornby first, they do usually cover your postage costs - certainly have when I've returned items under warranty.

Ian

Surely that would depend on whether Hornby itself was the retailer?  Contract between buyer and seller and all that.   Consumer legislation etc.

Hornby do sell directly via their website do they not?  In that case it would be covered because they were the retailer. Otherwise it would be the shop trader who received your money who should make the contract good.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for the 'Tip' I was quick and I've just been down to Waltons and picked up Dwight D Eisenhower, it is immaculate and it matches my TMC 60009 Union of South Africa superbly. I also purchased Dominion of Canada & Bittern models from Waltons yesterday and my Bittern came from Transport Models in Preston. May be I should look out for a GGath Sir Nigel Gresley to replace my ageing Bachmann one!

I am sure you are already aware of this but theGG Sir Nigel represents it as in preservation and not as it was in BR days.When in BR blue it did not have a double chimney.That came later...in Brunswick green.

Surely that would depend on whether Hornby itself was the retailer?  Contract between buyer and seller and all that.   Consumer legislation etc.

Hornby do sell directly via their website do they not?  In that case it would be covered because they were the retailer. Otherwise it would be the shop trader who received your money who should make the contract good.

I did actually buy them from Hornby.

Thanks

Steve

Is there anywhere still selling sets (or just the Garter Blue ones). Emailed Hattons who said they didn't have enough supply for my order.

I suspect they're pretty much gone by now.  Your best bet is probably to put in an advance order on the Great Goodbye.

See earlier post - Waltons had Canada yesterday morning. The others will turn up. Or pre-order order a Goodbye.

As of late yesterday afternoon Waltons had in stock x1 DDE and x1 DOC at £145

The other route would be to have them imported from Hobbyco.au in Sydney, once they receive them. It says on the their website that they are delayed until next summer though

https://hobbyco.com.au/product-taxonomy/Hornby-engineslocos?page=9

I am sure you are already aware of this but theGG Sir Nigel represents it as in preservation and not as it was in BR days.When in BR blue it did not have a double chimney.That came later...in Brunswick green.

Hi Ian, yes thanks I realise the model is how the loco is in preservation ;-)  I've just had a look at some dates out of interest- the double chimney was fitted in Dec 1957 and it was painted BR blue in Sept 1950 and finally BR green during Feb 1952 :-)

I've just ordered my final GG model, its 60007 SNG from Modellers Corner enniskillen.

They still have the full range in stock priced at the full retail price of 169.95 + £6 delivery. 

I don't appear to have any paint defects but my cab door has fallen off my UoSA class A4. It's not broken though so could be glued back on. Is this something that I should get Hornby to sort out under warranty?

Very little point in sending it back to Hornby to have a cab door re-attached. The things tend to catch on the tender footplate and fall / ping off rather regularly during running. If you intend on putting Your No.9 into service, I'd remove the other and mount them both 1mm higher, with a slight negative camber. Hornby Generally does this with it's newer models ( The Royal Scot for example).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, yes thanks I realise the model is how the loco is in preservation ;-)  I've just had a look at some dates out of interest- the double chimney was fitted in Dec 1957 and it was painted BR blue in Sept 1950 and finally BR green during Feb 1952 :-)

I've just ordered my final GG model, its 60007 SNG from Modellers Corner enniskillen.

They still have the full range in stock priced at the full retail price of 169.95 + £6 delivery.

Enjoy....I ,too,paid full price for my pair.Thanks for the info re: Modellers Corner,by the way.

No probs Ian :-) which two did you go for?

I got DOC, mallard & DDE from waltons in Altrincham for £145 each. I was very lucky and bought Bittern on eBay from Transport models in Preston for £169 & finally my SNG from modellers corner in enneskillin for £169, I'm not buying a great gathering UOSA because I already have a very high quality TMC custom version which is absolutely spot on!

Unboxed this morning - Missing one lamp iron (already replaced) and the buffer beam fell off, but the paintwork is perfect. Lamp iron position is not as bad as feared and the detail pack and plates will be fitted once a decoder has been fitted. Considering Hornby's recent quality troubles, I'm very happy with it; 

post-16674-0-65285800-1387969307_thumb.jpg

Nice Loco , sadly it confirms the Tender strip is still in the wrong place. Anyway enough of that. Merry Xmas :danced: :danced: :danced:

My thoughts too Mick!

As long as your are happy with it though, that is all that matters. 

Merry Christmas all.....I have my Commonwealth of Australia Model all ready to become 2512 'Silver Fox' :D

Archived