Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Alex,

That interior of your depot is really taking shape nicely. My next 3 locos from Andi are right up your street for filling that up when its all operational! They will hopefully be working some engineers services that might just take them up the WHL.

I recognised your layout in an advert in Model Rail when I was flicking through last night.

thanks,

Mark

Hi Baggie, thanks. It is progressing,…..albeit slowly!

Only the spare room at the moment but we might need to extend that. When I get ready to putting it up with board two that might cause a few issues with Mrs. Grimley!

I should think I probably have……..

I have not visited Grimley for a long while, you are correct any modelling time is spent working on the depot. I do miss running trains though!!

Eventually I plan to put a mainline by the side of the depot to allow trains to run passed. So one day you will be able to see MGRs, steel including the Corby coils, stone and petroleum trains trundling by…..might need to move house first!

Thanks Mark, I am quite pleased with it. Just want to get I finished and have a play!

I look forward to seeing them running on Rannoch, if they need servicing or maintenance you know where to send them!

Do you know I picked up a copy this morning and saw the advert that you mentioned. Didn’t even know that they used a photo of mine. That is one of my first attempts at weathering, 60078 working the coils.

Last night I spent an hour or so working on the design for the outside of the shed in preparation for covering it. Hopefully I can get this finished over the next few days.

My plan is to get the outside covered in the next month or so. I am really looking forward to seeing the depot covered and no longer looking like a wooden shell!

Hi Lewis, yes Grimley is completely operational although it must be a good 18 months since I last visited. Blimey, can’t believe it has been that long. I have to confess that I really do miss running a 60 on the ores!

Over the past few days I have been working on the design for the roof section and also the brickwork for the outside of the shed. I have spent quite a lot of time looking at photos of the outside of Toton studying the shed to help with the design for Boxenby. Hopefully I can finalise the design over the weekend.

Today I picked up some open trusses for the inside walls, these are made of brass and are just what I have been after.

IMG_4476s.jpg

These will sit at the top of the vertical girders between the H section and the lined plastic sheet and will be sprayed matt black. Here is a quick mock up of how it should look although the lined plastic sheets are white on the wall.

IMG_4483s.jpg

You can see at the bottom of the wall there is the brickwork, with the horizontal cross pieces and then the open trusses at the top. The H section vertical girders then sit on top.

• Like 2

Over the weekend I decided to finish filling in the sides at the ends of the inspection pits and get them sprayed with white primer. This was duly done and the pits put back. Now they are ready to be sprayed with a top coat of matt white and weathered before being glued in place permanently.

Here you can see the inspection pit sides after filling and spraying:

IMG_4494s.jpg

Whilst at Boxenby I decided to peek in through the lathe road:

IMG_4497s.jpg

And a quick look in from the rear of the shed:

IMG_4499s.jpg

I have now finished the design for the outside of the shed and hope to make a start on covering it in the next few weeks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have only recently read this topic from start to finish and I am amazed at what you are doing!! I can only imagine the hours you have put in to this so far, and of course the hours still to come...

My son & I spent Saturday at the York Model Railway Show and while browsing through the many trade stands I came across the York Model Making stand. I thought I recognised the name, and then I made the connection - Boxenby Depot! I can see now why you chose to use them - friendly staff and great products.

Looking forward to seeing how the outside of the shed looks.

Keep up the good work.

Tim...

Hi Alex,

Looking good - just need some 60's nice as all that railfreight liveried stock is! After the engineering works are complete at Rannoch they could return to works!

Keep up the good work, am looking forward to seeing how you go about the exterior cladding etc but the inside certainly captures the atmosphere already!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Class66, it is albeit slowly!!

Thanks David.

Thanks Tim, yes I have spent a few hours on it so far and a few more to come too I think!

York Model making are a great company to deal with, very friendly and helpful and as you say their products are first class. I am a very happy customer!

I keep looking at photos of the real shed and wonder what my model will look like once covered. Hopefully it will resemble the real one!

Thanks Mark, yeah I know a few 60s are required, although they will be in Coal, Metals, Petroleum and may be a construction one…. Feel free to send any of yours to Boxenby once finished at Rannoch! As yet I have not worked out how much it is going to cost for the metal siding that is needed to cover the outside of the shed but will have to look at that soon. I am quite excited about getting it finally covered.

Well despite spending quite a bit of time modelling recently I was beginning to feel that there was not much to show for it, but now I can see some progress. I have been working on the two east walls and here are a couple of photos showing progress so far:

DSC01124s.jpg

DSC01129s.jpg

I hope to get more of the metalwork in place later this week.

• Like 3

You say not a lot.to show. But those trusses really look the part now you have sprayed them. That wall has a complete look about it.

Where did you get the trusses from? Do you think 4 could be joined along the long edge to make a tower?

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy, I am very pleased with the trusses and they certainly add something to the look of the inside. Once the pipes and other bits and bobs get added it will improve the look of the walls even more.

They were purchased from the 4D Model Shop, Brass open web truss 10mm x 4 lengths Ref. Code: SO10004. I suppose you could join them although the top edge is slightly thicker than the bottom but that is not exactly a problem. Hope that helps.

Thanks Leon. Not sure how it has got that many views!

Thanks Chris, some dirt and soot plus pipes and trunking will make a big difference to the walls, but I am now beginning to feel that progress is finally being made. Also once the roof is on it wall darken the inside which will change the appearance too.

I have been doing some further work on the walls and now the metalwork on the east wall is complete with the lathe wall finished apart from the two ends. These have been left until I have finished working on the entrance to the lathe road from both the front and rear of the shed.

My plan is to get the metalwork in place on all the walls including the shutter doors before finally adding the pipes and trunking.

A couple of photos, please excuse the quality as I used my old mobile to take them!

First off 58037 on road 4:

DSC01141s.jpg

56032 sitting on road 16 which will house the wheel lathe:

DSC01137s.jpg

For those of you that like me are quite fond of the Brush class 60 I have added a couple.

60091 sits on road 4:

DSC01147s.jpg

60076 on road 16:

DSC01157s.jpg

• Like 3

Hiya Mr Grimley,

I have to agree, York Modelmaking are great to work with, even if you don't provide the most in depth data to start with !

Your project is very inspiring for me, however, your 60's could really do with a test trip 'down't tut south' methinks ! Plenty of heavy stone workings for them........:)

Seriously, loving your project.

I've been using plenty of tippex to fill the gaps between the pit modules, then sanding them smooth..........it finished them off a treat but it's not a five minute jobbie. Lovely when painted.

Best of luck with this amazing project mate,

Dave

Hi Alex,

It will be interesting to see your parts from York modelmaking, having watched the progress of Daves London shed and having seen there stand at York show recently I am very impressed with the finesse of there work, not to mention the items you have had done.

That bracing frame work on your depot looks very realistic no wonder you have had so many views to your thread!

Great choice of photos with the 60's featured, they look very good and I think you can safely say I have an interest in them too! My red one would probably look quite good alongside the railfreight 58! The rest would certainly look quite at home in that depot of yours!

(Dave - have you tried using some milliput in the gaps as that is quite easy to work with and files down very nicely once dry?)

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hi Dave, well if Stewart’s Lane gets short of Brush traction just let me know and Boxenby will send a few down 0Z60! Thinking about it my 60 fleet have not worked any heavy freight for nearly 18 months…..perhaps they should head down south!

Your floor and pits look superb, I just hope that I can get mine looking half as good as yours. I have to confess that I am not overly looking forward to working on the floor!

Not sure if I have the patience to fill in all the gaps but as you say will make a big difference to the look. I might just wait and see when the time comes to fitting them permanently….after seeing your latest photos I think that I may have to put in the time and effort to do it as the pits do look superb.

Hi Mark, as Dave has said they are a great company to deal with and their work is first class would highly recommend them to anyone.

Thanks I am very pleased with how the metalwork has turned out and looking forward to getting more of it added. Hopefully this weekend!

I too think that your Red 60 would look good inside the shed!

I use the Squadron White putty for filling, very nice stuff to work with and also files/sands down easily giving a nice finish.

I have now managed to have a look through the parts that arrived the other day and have to say that I am very pleased.

Here is a photo of the roof sections just put down on the top of the shed. I need to put a small score line down the middle to allow the sections to then be bent to fit the roof line.

IMG_4506s.jpg

Once in position, the roof sections reduces the light coming in through the top of the shed and give a more realistic feel to the inside.

IMG_4520s.jpg

IMG_4515s.jpg

IMG_4518s.jpg

IMG_4523s.jpg

IMG_4525s.jpg

Here is a shot taken with natural light, although I have just notice the re-railing gang need to be called!

IMG_4538s.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Alex,

The latest pics look really good, the X bracing along the wall looks spot on. B) Is the wall staying that colour ? as the white brightens up the inside of the shed. Looks like you are getting a few 80s 90s locos now as well.;) The Heljan class 58 looks like it has a bit of a lean, is that because the track isn't glued down yet?

Cheers Peter.

Mr Grimley,

Thanks for the kind comments r.e my flooring. All I can say is that it is worth all the time and effort getting the pits filled and filed, just my camera work to kick into touch now.

It may have been lost in the sands of time but in the old days when I was running the old 'Manor Lane', it was actually a 'working depot'. The Traction & Rolling Stock all had regular work on the exhibition circuit and would go out regularly for this, only returning for wheel cleans etc.

Then I thought it would be a great idea to build a 'proper' depot of my own for this and chose to model 'Stewarts Lane', so that the Manor Lane fleet had a proper home.

During the build, I left my local club and joined this forum instead...........guess what? Nothing has turned a wheel in anger since !!!

It's more likely you'll see an 0Z60 move to Toton instead mate.........:)

Anyways, r.e your pits........."if a jobs worth doing...." :rolleyes:

All the best,

Dave

Hi MM, yes it does make a big difference and once shaped to fit the roof line should also change the look further. Also once painted it will also make it darker inside.

Thanks Chris, just need a few more Type 5s!

Thanks David.

Hi Peter, yes the walls will be staying white but will be toned down with some light weathering. They need to look like they have been covered in years and years worth of grime and diesel clag! I have just about managed not to get a Bachmann 20090, yet! But not sure for how much longer though!

Yes a couple of the pits are not quite right but that is just because they have been plonked down so hopefully once in their permanent position and glued down all should be fine. Fingers crossed!

Hi Dave, well I have to say that after looking at your depot my mind has been made up and unfortunately this now means many hours to be spent filling in the joins…..but as you say if it is worth doing then it is worth doing properly. I can also envisage later on me regretting not doing it every time I look at it. So at some point over the summer I plan to get that job done and dusted.

Thanks for the inspiration Dave.

Over the weekend more work has been carried out on the metalwork on the wall to the rear of the through roads and also the short wall by road 4. The latter has now been finished with just the smaller H section girders to be added to the rear wall.

Here is a photo of progress, apologies for the quality it was quickly taken last night with my old mobile:

DSC01172s.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I can get the H section girders added to the rear wall and then get the metal work on the wall behind the dead-end roads.

• Like 2