Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Alex, thought this may be of interest for your pits.......copied from the BSL thread......not sure if you've got to this stage of work just yet :

Kindest Regards,

Dave

The 'Research & Development Dept' here at Stew. Lane, have today solved the latest engineering question.....

The 16v DCC power feed will be outside the main doors hidden in the ballast and as each rail will be powered individually, this will be straightforward, but :

"How can I use P4 fishplates accross the rail joins on the pits, and still jump power accross these same rails, without unsightly wires coming up through the pit mouldings inside the sheds?"

I have used yard lengths of rail from the buffer stops towards the doors and then another yard length will go outside via the main doors.

Roads 2 and 3 ( middle & right hand ) will each have a join, No1 road ( stub road ) will be single lengths of rail with no joins, except outside at the points.

This is what I came up with......the 'Power-Pad' !!!

post-7088-0-79074500-1305150595_thumb.jpg

I added a slither of metal etch coated with solder paste, underneath the site of the rail join, added the P4 fishplate and then joined the rails together.

I then heated one rail to melt the hidden solder and got away with NOT destroying the plastic pit moulding.

I checked that this metal had joined securely to the rail bottom, and conducted the current safely and will add the adjoining rails soon, repeating the soldering process.

Voila.......One hidden electrical connection !!! :yahoo:

• Like 2

Hi Leon, I know what you mean it does seem to be dragging on a bit!

In my opinion Railfreight livery definitely suited the 58s best, could do with a few more….

Thanks for the information Dave; superb work on the rails. I am not quite at that stage yet, lagging behind Stewart’s Lane I would say! Certainly when I am ready that will come in handy. Might have to get the Stewart’s Lane Permanent Way gang down to Boxenby to help out!!

Well not too much to report. I have managed to add the H sections to the wall behind roads 1 to 4 and the lathe road. I had planned to start work adding the metalwork to the main wall behind the dead-end roads but my main PC has decided to play up. As the photos from my visit to the real depot are on it and I need to browse through some of them before starting work, research and progress will be temporarily halted. Hopefully this week I can get the PC fixed and in turn do a bit more modelling.

Here are a few photos to show recent progress, please excuse the leaning locos but as mentioned before this will be addressed once the pits are glued down.

IMG_4544s.jpg

IMG_4547s.jpg

IMG_4546s.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

It just keeps getting better - the more metalwork you add and all the small details soon help to bring the scene together. Seeing that last shot with the 20's reminds me I have a pair of banger blue 20's well one day when they get a nice grimy fade treatment they would look just the part in your depot too.

Looking good,

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks it is quite surprising how adding small details can make such a big difference to the appearance. Over the weekend I have been adding the metalwork to the inside of the front wall, it does really bring it to life. If that is possible?!!!

Perhaps your choppers may visit after working south from Millerhill on MGRs! One day I am hoping to have all my 20s in very tired out, faded and work stained condition, just how I remember them!

I can see me adding 20090 to my small fleet very soon……could do with quite a few more 20s!

Following a bit of help and investigative work from a friend, my PC is now back up and running which has allowed me to access my photos and in turn do some modelling.

As mentioned above, this weekend I have been working on the metalwork on the inside of the front wall and this has really changed the look of this area. Now that the black metalwork has been added it no longer looks just like a plain white lined wall. Tonight I hope to add the small H section girders which sit on top of this as per the rear wall. This will then leave the higher wall area in front of roads 13 to 15 which I hope to finish over the next few days.

Will post some photos later in the week, my plan is to then get the metalwork added to the rear wall.

This evening I finished adding the metalwork to the inside front wall and her are a few photos of progress:

IMG_4569s.jpg

This one is on the hoof; the camera was just resting on one of the inspection pits!

IMG_4572s.jpg

A photo showing the raised roof area above roads 13 to 15

IMG_4574s.jpg

There are some marks on the walls which need touching up but that will be done once all the metalwork has been added.

I am hoping to get the metalwork added to the rear wall this weekend which will then just leave the high wall beside road 15 o be worked on.

• Like 1

Thanks Class66.

This afternoon I managed to get the metalwork added to the rear wall which now just leaves the wall to the west of road 15 to get the same treatment. Hopefully I can make a start on that wall this week.

Here are a few photos:

IMG_4583s.jpg

IMG_4585s.jpg

Earlier I popped to the model shop to get some Plastruct girders and U channels for the depot and came away with this little machine as well:

IMG_4586s.jpg

It could be a scene from 1991 when the new and old order of the day could be seen together on shed. Quality!

I have been after one of these for a while so when I saw it on the shelf there was only ever going to be one outcome! This Brush beast will eventually be renumbered to either 002 or 003 but as yet I am undecided which.

Another shot of old meeting new:

IMG_4594s.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to see a 'suitable' 60 on Boxenby at last. However if you changed the OHLE warning flashes to pre 1998 versions on your 60054 model you could have another Tug for Boxenbys allocation ;)

Excellent work with the interior detailing, keep up the superb work.

Regards

Lewis

Hi Alex,

The metalwork really makes a difference, it looks great. By the time time you have finished the shed you are going to have plenty of locos to weather, you are doing well not to be tempted to get a few done. The class 60 looks good sat in the shed, is it a new release? I remember when the 60s first came out back in 91 I saw my first one when I was working up Eastleigh Yard, it was spotless, I presume yours will be nice and clean.:D

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-29046100-1306633106_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks David.

Hi Lewis, good idea! I have to say that I do prefer 60s in triple grey need a few more….

Hi Peter, love the photo of 011 with the 47 on tanks. Was the 47 there for insurance in case the 60 failed? I plan to have a few early examples but in new condition with a little dirt on them. Not like my last one 091 which was faded and looking a bit worse for wear!

You are right I am going to have quite a few locos in the queue for weathering with quite a variety too! I have found it hard not to make a start on the 20s!

Thanks Daryl.

Hi Pugs, it is amazing how fast time flies by, it has been 18 months since I came up with this silly idea and made a start on it!

Not a great deal of modelling has been done over the past few days but I have managed to do a little. I was not happy with the entrance to the lathe road from the front of the shed, it just didn’t look right and was beginning to annoy me so I decided to spend some time putting it right. After studying some photos I then made a piece to go on the existing wall which would also include the roller shutter door.

Here is the new piece just offered up to see how it looks:

IMG_4607s.jpg

I plan to get this glued on tomorrow.

• Like 1

This afternoon I managed to find a few minutes for some modelling so I got the new lathe road wall glued in place.

Here are a couple of photos showing how it now looks:

IMG_4612s.jpg

IMG_4619s.jpg

Now to make a start on the metalwork on the final wall……

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Looking good, the class 60 in my pic was on crew training, they just attached the 60 to a normal service, in this case an Eastleigh- Fawley and return working.

Cheers Peter.

Simply amazing work all around. I always look forward to Boxenby popping to the top of the forum again in the hope there's more pictures to see. This is one I will definitely be keeping up with.

Tom N.

Thanks Neil. My plan at the moment is to get the metalwork added to the wall by road 15 and then start on covering the outside of the shed. This will make a huge difference to the appearance as at present it just looks like a wooden shell and not a building. But once the mdf is added and then the Evergreen metal siding (the cladding) it should really start to resemble a depot building. Well hopefully!

I am quite excited about seeing it covered, I think then I will start to feel like it is a depot.

Thanks Tom, glad that you enjoy looking at the photos. More below!

Thanks to Trains4U, Trainload Coal has finally arrived at Boxenby. Excellent service as usual and even delivered to my front door! Thanks Gareth. :yahoo:

Today 56128 and 58014 arrived on shed and they are superb, very pleased. The only problem is, I now want another Coal sector 56! :D

Here are a few photos of them inside the shed:

IMG_4633s.jpg

IMG_4632s.jpg

IMG_4639s.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good, Alex.

Just thought I'd drop by to catch up on your progress. Your photos are starting to look pretty realistic even though you obviously have a lot to do yet. The scale of the buildings is so much closer to reality than so many other model depots (including mine). That, combined with the excellent modelling, is I think what really sets Boxenby apart from other depot layouts I've seen. Great stuff.

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Neil, I liked that shot too. Once the floor is down and along with the inspection platforms painted and weathered it should look more like the inside of a depot.

Thanks David.

Thanks Dave, I am hoping that in the next couple of months it will really start to come on with a lot of noticeable progress to be seen. I am getting excited about the prospect of seeing the outside covered very soon!

This weekend has been very productive with attention focused on the last wall to have metalwork added. I have managed to add the horizontal metal bars to the wall by road 15 which I have not been looking forward to doing, so very relieved to have got this job done.

The open web trusses have been cut and sprayed matt black ready to be glued on this week.

Last week I took delivery of some I and H section girders which will also be added to the wall. The ones that sit by road 15 not only support the raised roof section but also hold the running rail for the overhead crane. This has meant adding some H section to I section in order to get the correct girders. This afternoon I made up 12 of these girders to form the main metalwork for the wall.

IMG_4648s.jpg

IMG_4659s.jpg

IMG_4654s.jpg

Hopefully this week I can get the trusses and girders glued in position which will mean that the main metalwork will have been added to the inside of the shed. That will then leave pipes and trunking to be added.

• Like 1