BBC Timeshift - The Model Railway Story

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Yes. I thought it was excellent. For once railway modelling was not depicted as something slightly "strange" but came across as a tranquil and interesting pastime in a crazy outside world

Excellent and certainly warrants further exposure. BBC2 next time, perhaps. The clips of Mike Sharman and Bob Symes make one wonder just how much other archive the BBC has hidden away. I seem to recall Bob coming to Egham Club once with a cameraman many years ago. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

The Bob Symes clip was from 1975, I would thinl Mike Sharman was from around the same time. I remember his locos and railways appearing in the "History of model and miniature railways" part work which was an inspiration for me at the time

Well done to all involved with the program (although i did expect to see a few of the Blue Peter layouts). One thing that surprised me was the omission of the point explaining how good (in both quality and value) contemporary models are...? Or perhaps this would have taken kudos away from the scratchbuilders featured on there, and the message to go ahead and create something.

I think the next time someone asks me "why?", I may just point them in the direction of that programme.

In the course of an hour, it pretty much summed every reason why I model railways.

Andy

It was interesting to see how the hobby has come full circle, from the specialized preserve of the enthusiast, to the the must have kids toy, now it is very much back in the hand of the enthusiastic. Rather like going around an oval, it has reassured me about the future.   

• RMweb Premium

Well done to all involved with the program (although i did expect to see a few of the Blue Peter layouts). One thing that surprised me was the omission of the point explaining how good (in both quality and value) contemporary models are...? Or perhaps this would have taken kudos away from the scratchbuilders featured on there, and the message to go ahead and create something.

We (Blackmill) were approached with less than a week to go within the original production schedule (in mid 2012). Upon talking to the producer of the show - after he had been pointed in the direction of a few youtube clips of Blackmill, it was ideal to represent the contemporary urban scene, but due to the tight production timescale nothing could be arranged - unfortunately.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived