Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

We have a mix of couplings on Alloa using 3 link on mineral rakes that are rarely split Kaydees on the likes of Bachmann dmus to close couple and also on coaching with a medium/short combination usually working best but we also still have a large number of tension lock fitted stock however they are the smallest types and confined to wagons within the trains.

We are currently working through these to replace with scale alternatives but until then the simple rule of never allowing a tension lock to be fitted to the rear of a coach or brakevan and never on locos works well.

We also use 3mm S&W which are much finer especially if fitted with the hook at one end only as apart from more reliable auto uncoupling it means there is always one chain hanging between wagons and not two! 

Hornby close coupled with mixed length Kaydees simply plugged in to the nem pockets.

post-2371-0-21494600-1526952693_thumb.jpg

Spratt & Winkle 3mm couplings on 4mm stock and hook at one end only.

post-2371-0-26194600-1526952735_thumb.jpg

Once blackened and viewed from normal operating angle quite discreet and streets ahead of tension lock both in appearance and operation and of course with a 3 link chain hanging from each wagon.

Cheap and easy to fit too.

post-2371-0-36777300-1526952751_thumb.jpg

Dave.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

We have a mix of couplings on Alloa using 3 link on mineral rakes that are rarely split Kaydees on the likes of Bachmann dmus to close couple and also on coaching with a medium/short combination usually working best but we also still have a large number of tension lock fitted stock however they are the smallest types and confined to wagons within the trains.

We are currently working through these to replace with scale alternatives but until then the simple rule of never allowing a tension lock to be fitted to the rear of a coach or brakevan and never on locos works well.

We also use 3mm S&W which are much finer especially if fitted with the hook at one end only as apart from more reliable auto uncoupling it means there is always one chain hanging between wagons and not two! 

Hornby close coupled with mixed length Kaydees simply plugged in to the nem pockets.

attachicon.gifIMG_6284.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8553.jpg

Once blackened and viewed from normal operating angle quite discreet and streets ahead of tension lock both in appearance and operation and of course with a 3 link chain hanging from each wagon.

attachicon.gifIMG_8550.jpg

Dave.

Putting on my pedant's hat and writing under correction from the more knowledgeable modelers who subscribe to this thread,  in regard to  the third & lowest photo., and if I u'stood. matters concerning 'XP.' stock correctly, they were vacuum-braked and fitted with screw-couplings?

Pray advise.

:locomotive:

Edited by unclebobkt

Putting on my pedant's hat and writing under correction from the more knowledgeable modelers who subscribe to this thread,  in regard to  the third & lowest photo., and if I u'stood. matters concerning 'XP.' stock correctly, they were vacuum-braked and fitted with screw-couplings?

Pray advise.

:locomotive:

You are correct as regards the stock however the Caley station pilot has both vacuum and Washinhoose brakes and of course apart from the aforementioned 'bar' coupling it also retains the hook on the buffer beam..for the odd screw which its still partial to.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_6284.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8553.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8550.jpg

Dave.

I've been looking for the 3mm Spratt & Winkle couplings for some time. Does anyone know where they can be obtained?

Those 63xx really are quite pleasant to look at........in a move akin to Dylan going electric, I can see one shuffling about on either Mutton or Sheep Lane.....and there's a new batch coming out.....oh dear!

Rob.

Go on, Go on, Go on! You know it makes sense.

Ripe for some serious weathering as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/8166965360/

Can I throw in a street scene from a model railway - this one featuring my Aberdeen tenements at Braeside .. I've been a bit cheeky and blended the obvious line where the backscene meets the model ...

attachicon.giftenements.jpg

Great modelling! Definitely the ‘Granite City’

Can I throw in a street scene from a model railway - this one featuring my Aberdeen tenements at Braeside .. I've been a bit cheeky and blended the obvious line where the backscene meets the model ...

How has the transition of a road into the back scene been handled on actual layouts?. I can't say I have ever come across an example of an solution to this. The only two potential work abouts that I can think of are a fillet radius between baseboard and backdrop, or the road is going over the a cusp of a hill, so that the transition point is not seen.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent use of backscene

• Agree 1

How has the transition of a road into the back scene been handled on actual layouts?. I can't say I have ever come across an example of an solution to this. The only two potential work abouts that I can think of are a fillet radius between baseboard and backdrop, or the road is going over the a cusp of a hill, so that the transition point is not seen.

I've just received a book on this very subject as I reckon there's some approaches to learn from! (especially having seen the amazing Dutch masterpiece "IJsselestein" at Warley)

The book is terrific and has lots of ideas for blending foreground with background. The publisher is Crécy, author is Paul Bambrick and is titled "Creating a Backscene" - I haven't started using the techniques but they look really promising.

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've been looking for the 3mm Spratt & Winkle couplings for some time. Does anyone know where they can be obtained?

As already posted Andrew at Wizard Models has them.

Make sure you buy the 3mm and not the 4mm as they are monstrosities..the 3mm however if fitted using the mounting plates and loops with one hook per wagon can be a very effective and neater replacement for tension locks.

A home made jig is essential to turn them out quickly and uniformly plus height gauge for wagons too ensure they all match perfectly.

Pick your most common wagons that have the lowest underfloor height..we settled on Bachman..and then just araldite the mounting plate directly under the drawbar.

Any other wagons that might be slightly higher to the underfloor is a simple matter of adjusting with plasticard shim.

Three links from the one hook with the last one being iron to attract the uncoupling magnet and you are complete.

A Bill Bedford wire bending jig is a cheap and essential tool to turn out identical loops.

The S&Ws propel on the indent on the top of the hook and act on the opposing bar and you will find you can propel long rakes over crossovers with much less chance of buffer lock or derailment than with tension lock.

Also theres much nonsense talked about 3mm couplings not being able to negotiate tighter curves..with a single hook and bar set up this is not an issue.

Cost wise It also means the hook fret goes twice as far. 

Bill Bedford wire bending jig for the two loops.

post-2371-0-90886300-1527028982_thumb.jpg

Dave.

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A cruel close up..........

Rob.

post-14122-0-89968300-1527052740.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rocor, a couple of pics of how I have dealt with the backscence road join. The road in the backscene has been extended so that it has a tongue that is then curved into the road and then blended in.

All the best Adrian. post 459 onwards

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64587-westerham-not-much-going-on-today-its-raining/page-19

post-17489-0-42152500-1527059871_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-04499600-1527059909_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Wot! No couplings :jester:

Sorry Rob, couldn't resist :devil:

There you go....

post-14122-0-19262000-1527084728_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rocor, a couple of pics of how I have dealt with the backscence road join. The road in the backscene has been extended so that it has a tongue that is then curved into the road and then blended in.

All the best Adrian. post 459 onwards

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64587-westerham-not-much-going-on-today-its-raining/page-19

Now that is the real trick, getting the perspective to look right from different angles! Brilliant work here