Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

5756 squeals to a halt on the loop with the ecs for the evening miners workman's, next to the late afternoon Remploy clearance behind 4166 (all right, 6167) which will get the road as soon as the staffs are sorted out.   The pannier will have time to run around when the parcels has gone, but is not due out until 18.20, and an auto will intervene before then.  Normally, the station settles down to it's unstaffed evening routine of occasional autos after the miner's ecs departs, but tonight the Ogmore Forest Pigeon Fanciers have chartered a special, so the station staff and signalman have some welcome overtime.  

These photos are making me focus on the backscene, which needs a bit more sorting out, by which I mean ripping out and starting again.  I am also thinking long term about replacing all the track on the scenic portion of the layout with Peco Bullhead.  This would probably be a good time to have another go at the platforms, which I am not happy with; ok, take it easy, Johnster, let's do one thing at a time!  Backscene first.

post-30666-0-39316800-1527884923_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

5756 squeals to a halt on the loop with the ecs for the evening miners workman's, next to the late afternoon Remploy clearance behind 4166 (all right, 6167) which will get the road as soon as the staffs are sorted out.   The pannier will have time to run around when the parcels has gone, but is not due out until 18.20, and an auto will intervene before then.  Normally, the station settles down to it's unstaffed evening routine of occasional autos after the miner's ecs departs, but tonight the Ogmore Forest Pigeon Fanciers have chartered a special, so the station staff and signalman have some welcome overtime.  

These photos are making me focus on the backscene, which needs a bit more sorting out, by which I mean ripping out and starting again.  I am also thinking long term about replacing all the track on the scenic portion of the layout with Peco Bullhead.  This would probably be a good time to have another go at the platforms, which I am not happy with; ok, take it easy, Johnster, let's do one thing at a time!  Backscene first.

So apart from the scenics, track and platform you're happy with it? ;-p

• RMweb Gold

Oh! There's lovely isn't it look you.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So apart from the scenics, track and platform you're with it? ;-p

Pretty much, Spams; scenics, track, platform, RTR compromise, wrong track gauge, tension loco couplers, poor modelling ability, electric motors driving 'steam' locos, no steam effects, general plasticicity (not sure that's a word), and not enough space to make a decent length of train, no sounds except in my head, poor eyesight and wobbly fingers, all of which combine to remind me, as if I needed reminding, that I am a useless, incompetent, poverty stricken life failure with no hope of redemption and a bleak and hopeless, though happily short, future.

'Part from that, it's a brilliant layout.

To be serious, it does give me immense satisfaction and moments of absolute conviction in my ability to suspend disbelief.  Now and then, things are just 'right', they gel, and most of the other time it's not too bad!  But the photos are cruel dispellers of the illusion, and very good for reminding me about what still needs to be done!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All that matters Jonners, is what it is to you and you alone.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Pretty much, Spams; scenics, track, platform, RTR compromise, wrong track gauge, tension loco couplers, poor modelling ability, electric motors driving 'steam' locos, no steam effects, general plasticicity (not sure that's a word), and not enough space to make a decent length of train, no sounds except in my head, poor eyesight and wobbly fingers, all of which combine to remind me, as if I needed reminding, that I am a useless, incompetent, poverty stricken life failure with no hope of redemption and a bleak and hopeless, though happily short, future.

'Part from that, it's a brilliant layout.

To be serious, it does give me immense satisfaction and moments of absolute conviction in my ability to suspend disbelief.  Now and then, things are just 'right', they gel, and most of the other time it's not too bad!  But the photos are cruel dispellers of the illusion, and very good for reminding me about what still needs to be done!

If it's giving you immense satisfaction, then it should be achieving 99% of what you've set out to do (a little approval of others is rarely unappreciated).

In this thread, I wouldn't say your photos show your models to be realistic, but for me that doesn't matter, because the pictures you have painted in words here (and in your layout thread), are the equal any other "images".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very kind of you, Northmoor, and much appreciated.  As you may have gathered, much of my modelling is 'abstract' and takes place in my mind, among the imagined railwaymen and villagers of Cwmdimbath, so to some extent the physical manifestation of the modelling is merely an expression of that, a visual aid to my internal story of a railway.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

To be serious, it does give me immense satisfaction and moments of absolute conviction in my ability to suspend disbelief.  

And what more could any of us want...  

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1

Scenes around Kirkby Malham.

The 4-4-0, one of Samuel Waite Johnson's slim boilered engines has just shunted it's train into the departure platform before crossing on to the down line and into the loco yard to be turned.

Most of the pics I am showing on this thread are from my own layout thread, so my apologies if you have already seen them.

Derek

Hi Derek

You could take the top photo as a painting, they are all great.

Regards

Jamie

Scenes around Kirkby Malham.

The 4-4-0, one of Samuel Waite Johnson's slim boilered engines has just shunted it's train into the departure platform before crossing on to the down line and into the loco yard to be turned.

Most of the pics I am showing on this thread are from my own layout thread, so my apologies if you have already seen them.

Derek

Hello,

One can never have to many views of such bygone times especially when in colour.

Thank you Derek.:)

• RMweb Gold

One of the nicest photos I can recall seeing on Rmweb.

Utterly delightful, Derek.

Rob

post-14122-0-33459200-1528143242.jpg

post-14122-0-23489900-1528143274.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

There is only one thing in this picture that betrays it as a model; the side windows do not show the ability to slide past each other,   being in the same plane.  I feel very unjustified in pointing this out; this would otherwise be beyond question a shot of Western Gladiator and the Parson's Tunnel end of Dawlish in 1972.

• Like 2

There is only one thing in this picture that betrays it as a model; the side windows do not show the ability to slide past each other,   being in the same plane.  I feel very unjustified in pointing this out; this would otherwise be beyond question a shot of Western Gladiator and the Parson's Tunnel end of Dawlish in 1972.

At least it’s Heljan’s effort that let the side down and not my modelling then !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At least it’s Heljan’s effort that let the side down and not my modelling then !!

Absolutely!  You are clearly a master of the art and I would never blame you for Heljan's shortcomings.   Although I reckon they do a pretty good Western taken holistically...

Anyone who attempts to improve a Heljan Western is gilding a lily.  I have done my best with a Hornby 2721, but that\s polishing a t^rd.

• Like 3

I had a crack at improving one, JLTRT bits and I moved the headcode box up by 2mm, weathering by Fred Lewis attachicon.gif40A67C17-27BD-47EA-B67E-C6291591B46F.jpeg

Hi Steve

Great photos, can't beat the Sandy colours, Nice job of the Lamp, put the loco on the backend of a rake of coaches, like on the SVR, nicely weathered to, and a good job of the head code!

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1