Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Putting on my pedant's hat and writing under correction from the more knowledgeable modelers who subscribe to this thread,  in regard to  the third & lowest photo., and if I u'stood. matters concerning 'XP.' stock correctly, they were vacuum-braked and fitted with screw-couplings?

Pray advise.

:locomotive:

Not quite right, BR designed vans such as these had Instanter three link couplings and 1'6'' spindle buffers up until they were later fitted with pneumatic buffers and screw couplings and that was mostly after steam finished.

It's a common misconseption and very few BR designed wagons had 1.81/2'' buffers and screw couplings when built, pre 1948 fitted designs did have screw couplings.

Dave.

Edited by davefrk

• RMweb Gold

Not quite right, BR designed vans such as these had Instanter three link couplings and 1'6'' spindle buffers up until they were later fitted with pneumatic buffers and screw couplings and that was mostly after steam finished.

It's a common misconseption and very few BR designed wagons had 1.81/2'' and screw couplings when built, pre 1948 fitted designs did have screw couplings.

Dave.

Plenty XP Vanfits with instanters and spindle buffers still around in the 70s, but as they were overhauled screws and pneumatics were fitted.  Of course , by that time the traffic had dwindled and many must have been scrapped with instanters and spindles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Spindle buffers were by far the [referred thing to deal with when faced with buffer locking (12ins:1 ft scale) as all you need to do was knock the pin out at the far (inner) end of the spindle and when you pulled the buffer head and spindle came out with no other damage.  When faced with pneumatic and various other self contained buffers the only sensible and quick thing you could do was try to get them off and the only reliable way to do that was to burn off the nuts and then let the assembly get pulled off or run the risk of it coming off too soon and injuring somebody as it dropped.  These new fangled modern ideas aren't necessarily as clever as their inventors might have thought ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many scrap merchants had a clause inserted whereby some items would be recovered for re-use. 3-link couplings would go to scrap, but the screw shackle would be tested for thread wear, and re-used. In later days, most screw links went as well, it being cheaper to have new, than to run the risk of parting under load.

The scrap line at Margam used to keep back all of the front buffers on 08 diesels for 'refurbishment'. I don't know why; once the gas monkey did his work, the buffer was well & truly knackered. Probably it kept him in work.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 2

Oh wow, now there are some great memories, class 308 and 312... I think were the same in looks, all slam shut doors, and you could walk down the isles as the seats were from One door (Left side of train) straight through to the other (Right side of train), No toilets, from memory.

Great photo... its a shame Bachmann have never released them...!

Was this available in kit form, you don't see them often but when I do, the memories are great days out with my dad and brother back in the 1980s

Regards

Jamie

Good morning Jamie,

Oh wow, now there are some great memories, class 308 and 312... I think were the same in looks, all slam shut doors, and you could walk down the isles as the seats were from One door (Left side of train) straight through to the other (Right side of train), No toilets, from memory.

Great photo... its a shame Bachmann have never released them...!

Was this available in kit form, you don't see them often but when I do, the memories are great days out with my dad and brother back in the 1980s

Regards

Jamie

This is built from the DC Kits range.  I too have fond memories of the old slam door stock.  I often rode the Class 304, 305 and 308's.  The 304's and 305's were running up and down between Stoke-on-Trent and Manchester, and the 308's in their twilight years rumbling around on the Leeds electrified network.  Happy days - You would sit down, sink in and almost choke on the dust from the cushions. In motion, everyone's heads would bob in unison to the track joints.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 4

You are quite correct, colour pictures in 1908 were invariably in black and white, however the world was in colour and like all the modellers I know, I am trying to make a “living” model of how things were in days gone by. So I try and imagine I am there, which would make me a pretty old bloke by now.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If there is, it's not me; i wasn't pretty when I was young, and now I'm just pug ugly.  But I must dispute that colour existed in 1908; everybody knows that colour was invented by the Beatles in 1964, and even then was only analogue; real digital colour was invented by Apple when they brought out the original iPhone.

If there is, it's not me; i wasn't pretty when I was young, and now I'm just pug ugly.  But I must dispute that colour existed in 1908; everybody knows that colour was invented by the Beatles in 1964, and even then was only analogue; real digital colour was invented by Apple when they brought out the original iPhone.

Wasn't it Kenny Everett who did the 1st ever radio broadcast in colour? Sadly my radio wasn't good enough....

Stewart

I took these photos a while ago, experimenting with being close up and layers of filters.

post-29051-0-81486200-1527282006_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-64023500-1527282022_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-84949500-1527282034_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-69776100-1527282614_thumb.jpg

This photo I meant to upload with my previous photo of the P Class, tried to make it look like a kid had taken a cheeky quick snap from the platform railings.

post-29051-0-60418700-1527282547_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

In 1964 their days and nights were still hard for the Beatles, and so they remained in black and white, but with a little help, they managed to become colourful the year after.