Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

There are dangers in really good detail photos like that - I bet BR (and definitely the WR) weren't using Pandrol clips in the days when 'Kings' were still working 'The Cornish Riviera' ;)

Unfortunately Peco’s flat bottom track is the only option in 7mm.

• RMweb Premium

There are dangers in really good detail photos like that - I bet BR (and definitely the WR) weren't using Pandrol clips in the days when 'Kings' were still working 'The Cornish Riviera' ;)

The Pandrol PR clip was I think, launched in 1957 - when was the Cornish Riviera last King-hauled?

Are you saying that it's the only option for flat bottom track or 7mm full stop? What about the C&L flexi?

C&L flexi is bull head with 3 bolt chairs, I know exactoscale did flat bottom Flexi track but as far as I’m aware it’s only in 4mm, EM and P4.

As most main lines had been relaid with flat bottom track by the late 50’s I wanted to represent that and at the moment Peco’s is the only option available

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Gold

Don't think I've ever seen better weathered ballast; absolutely convincing and nothing gives it away as a model except perhaps that a loco climbing out of the Severn Tunnel should have some steam from the chimney, but it looks like a warm summer day so...

• RMweb Gold

The Pandrol PR clip was I think, launched in 1957 - when was the Cornish Riviera last King-hauled?

I'm fairly sure the PR clip did appear in 1957 but it didn't arrive in England until later and it definitely was not used on WR CWR in the early-mid 1960s while various types of elastic rail spikes and baseplates were used on WR flat bottom rail prior to the arrival of CWR on the Region (which was all laid with the Region's preferred pattern of SHC clips).  Pandrol PR clips were not adopted as a BR standard until the mid 1960s.

• Like 1

A Class 122 ticks over at Platform 18 at Edinburgh Waverley, waiting to depart for Fife...

attachicon.gif122 4.jpg

Hi Dave

Great Early morning sunrise shadows or is it late evening low sun, just before sun set....!

Always Great photos.

Regards

Jamie

I find backscene roads much easier to blend in if they approach the rear panel at a bit of angle.  Another good cheat is to have a 'T' junction to re direct the road to a parallel, but they don't usually occur like that on prototype layouts, certainly not in open countryside. 

Here's quite a realistic study of a light engine at Bucks Hill but the missing smoke and steam give the game away for me!

post-21244-0-81177400-1527672471_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I find backscene roads much easier to blend in if they approach the rear panel at a bit of angle.  Another good cheat is to have a 'T' junction to re direct the road to a parallel, but they don't usually occur like that on prototype layouts, certainly not in open countryside. 

Here's quite a realistic study of a light engine at Bucks Hill but the missing smoke and steam give the game away for me!

That’s a good trick - just like professional studio photographers curve their large backdrop sheets!

Hi all

Thought I might pitch in with a couple of pics. The second one is from our Bournemouth West layout and shows an M7 between duties in the goods yard. The first is a cameo shot from my own Carsdale (S&C) layout of the goods loading dock (pic courtesy of Andy York and BRM)

post-7035-0-39583300-1527702453.jpeg

That’s very nice indeed

post-7035-0-42723600-1527702483.jpeg

Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I'm fairly sure the PR clip did appear in 1957 but it didn't arrive in England until later and it definitely was not used on WR CWR in the early-mid 1960s while various types of elastic rail spikes and baseplates were used on WR flat bottom rail prior to the arrival of CWR on the Region (which was all laid with the Region's preferred pattern of SHC clips).  Pandrol PR clips were not adopted as a BR standard until the mid 1960s.

You're almost certainly right, it would have taken time for trials of Pandrol assemblies to have proven themselves and to become commonplace on track relaying.  Perhaps the Severn Tunnel was the location for such a trial?  It was for the Fastclip in the early 90s, I was a student working at Pandrol at the time.

• Like 1

Took this sequence of a local Dundee to Arbroath train arriving, running round at the North end of the station and ready to leave for its return to Dundee East station.

post-21954-0-20992200-1527756759_thumb.jpg

C16 67502 on the local arriving and passing a V2 about to depart south.

post-21954-0-88577700-1527757083_thumb.jpg

At Platform 4 disgorging its passengers.

post-21954-0-81500400-1527756788_thumb.jpg

Waiting for the home signal to clear before running round.

post-21954-0-36499600-1527756831_thumb.jpg

About to cross over to the up main while running round.

post-21954-0-43289400-1527756877_thumb.jpg

Recoupled to its coaches and negotiating the scissors crossing over to the up main.

post-21954-0-47368100-1527756918_thumb.jpg

Being "called on" to re-enter the station at platform 2

post-21954-0-59590500-1527756957_thumb.jpg

Champing at the bit for return to Dundee.

(Memories from 60 years ago...........)

• Like 14

The first is a cameo shot from my own Carsdale (S&C) layout of the goods loading dock (pic courtesy of Andy York and BRM)

Hi Roger

Great photo, liking the abandoned coach with boarded up windows and the dampness at the bottom or the start of rusting setting in along with the hole in the pain of glass.

Excellent Cameo....

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mutton. June 1st 1959.

A quiet moment.

post-14122-0-70265900-1527860833_thumb.jpg

• Like 19