If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Totally, utterly and completely new to model railways...

murrlyn

Apart from a brief relationship with a wooden train set in the '50s, and a latent desire (lasting 40+ years) to own a 'train set', I am your actual 'newby'.

Over the past few weeks I have been 'reading up' on railway modelling and have built up such an appetite I have started clearing my garage (a job my dear lady has been on about for over 5 years!).

I've ordered the insulation for the garage doors which will arrive next week. So I am on the bottom rung of a very long ladder.

So far I have found RMweb extremely useful and the contributions, helpful and informative. Again like one of the other new members, I am afraid I will get more out of the forum than I can put into it.

I am delighted to be a member of this community and I say 'Hi' to you all.

Murray

• RMweb Gold

Hi Murray, welcome to the forum and to the greatest hobby on earth.

Sounds like you're already getting to grips with some of the fine arts of railway modelling, ie clearing of workspace and strategic spouse-management  :-)

Any particular plans for your type of layout so far ?

Welcome to the forum.  I wouldn't worry about getting more out of the forum than you put in - everyone on here started learning from others, and you'll soon find yourself making helpful comments on other peoples' threads.

If you've got an idea of what you want to do layout wise, start a thread in the track planning, or layouts areas - you'll get lots of helpful advice from everyone.  You've picked a great hobby, and I hope you enjoy your time in it.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Welcome Murray

You've already contributed by making your first post. You will be surprised (like I was) & as Michael says somewhere along the line a question will be asked that you may know the answer to. Happy modelling!

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Murray

Welcome on board!

Some of us have been modelling for a good few years but still have oodles to learn - there are so many folks on here with different skills and knowledge and also fantastic prototype knowledge that there is no question that cannot be answered - probably!

Just a starting tip? Make your first project something that will give you satisfying results rapidly. We all get our kicks in different ways and to achieve some of the fantatsic reults seen in here has taken a good while for many.

Look forwards to seeing your progress

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hello, Murray

Welcome to this great hobby.   One tip I can make, is, perhaps, to do test pieces as you go along.  One of ours became an exhibition layout.  For ages, it was just a 4ft x 1ft plank with some track on it for testing locos and trying out some shunting that could be tucked away under the 'real' layout.   It then became a test bed for ballasting, track weathering, building structures, adding detailing, scenics, human interest and, most recently, some lighting.  Then there are the 'things you would now do differently'...But, while we plan and build our 'proper' layouts, we have a nice little layout to play with run/test new stock on and do some photo shoots.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51879-avago-the-old-sidings/

Hope your progress is fun, though (WARNING? ) you may want to watch how much time you spend on RM Web - it can become quite addictive with so much help, support, friendship and humour on here.  Watch out for this little man >>>> :jester:

All the best

Polly

Edit: My introduction to model railways was a clockwork loco running up and down a short piece of track maybe 9"-12" long.  I often wonder if one has been preserved in someone's attic or toy museum.

Just found the kind of thing, a replica toy for adults, below, at:

http://www.thingsfor.co.uk/acatalog/Wonder-loco-616.html

• RMweb Gold

Hi Murray and welcome,  like your self I took the plunge last year after thinking about it for fifty years, and spurred on by rmweb and what others had achieved

I lined the garage and insulated it. and started. I quickly realised that a model of Clapham Junction was beyond my budget and abilities, not to say space available. Its a hobby that will give you a great deal of pleasure and frustration in equal measure and a good deal of satisfaction when something goes right! All the best and enjoy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Murray,

Welcome to a great community and resource for like minded folk.

Like you I had a long period of waiting until I started my layout, but finally I've got it built, not completed though, it never is.

I wish you well in your endeavours and look forward to seeing the fruits of your efforts on here.

But don't spend too much time on here, or the layout will suffer. How do I know that?  :)

Rob

... I am afraid I will get more out of the forum than I can put into it...

Murray,

The 'how do I?' and 'why this way?' conversations that you and other newcomers are likely to bring to the forum are often some of the most stimulating.

Be prepared for this hobby to take you on unexpected journeys; it is exceedingly multifaceted. And above all, have fun with it.

Welcome Murray. I was in your position two years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed the journey. I don't think there's a better forum to learn in and, from what I've found, there are many many people here willing to listen and advise on the most basic and mundane to the most intricate and specific.

I still get more out than I put in but I don't think anyone minds. Enjoy!

Steve

Thanks, thanks and thanks. Some excellent points/guidance in the previous posts - will need to digest them. I've plenty of time to do this because I have to first insulate the garage doors as well as clearing space - strangely my request to move a deep freeze and a fridge freezer into the lounge did not go down well with the other member of this household!! Tried to sell it by mentioning that we wouldn't need to go into the garage to get a cold drink - well.. I thought it was a good idea!!

I think I will go down the Polly route in the first instance - this will get me used to laying track and wiring. It will also get me used to soldering (new to me) and plenty of other skills I'm sure I will need but have not yet identified. I've got plenty of old shelving that I can use as a baseboard. Maybe I'll go for a goods siding as a starter.

Thanks again

Murray

Welcome Murray - it would be nice to know your interests as railway modelling covers such a vast spectrum. Presumably some particular aspects have drawn you into it. EG scale/gauge, British/Continental/US, operating companies, etc?

if you can get to Doncaster this weekend, Murray, you will probably find lots of questions answered in a very short space of time. https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Exhibitions/5/The_Festival_of_British_Railway_Modelling

Or there's Ally Pally next month https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Exhibitions/6/The_London_Festival_of_Railway_Modelling

Many of the people on here will be there.

• RMweb Premium

High Murray.

When you get a bit into it, there's a little form for consolidating your ideas http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13299  and thinking about what you want.

In railway modelling, there are usually between half a dozen and a dozen ways of doing anything.  The average modeller can get two of them to work.

hi Murray, welcome to the forum. I'm only new here myself.

as someone who has recently returned to the hobby, my advice is: don't rush in to anything. plan and research everything carefully. I made a few mistakes that I would have avoided had I spent more time planning my layout, but I was driven by the bug to get some track down and get things going. to be honest, it's such a terrific and wide-ranging hobby that there are hundreds of little jobs you can be doing in the meantime to keep your interest. then when you know what you want you can get stuck in full of confidence. item number one in planning: can you envisage a time when you may wish you had made the layout portable? :D

good luck with it. :)

Guest Natalie Graham

I suppose that, unless we make more posts than we read, we all get out more than we put in. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. I look forward to seeing how you get on.

- strangely my request to move a deep freeze and a fridge freezer into the lounge did not go down well with the other member of this household!! 

Well there's room for a layout right there then, in the space in the lounge where the deep freeze and the fridge freezer didn't go. :)

Hi, Murray. Welcome aboard.

Don't worry about getting more out than inputting. I've been doing that for about 6 years now! And only now getting down to actually building something, having been tempted to try my hand by the challenge in 2011.

I'm getting a lot of encouragement from others on this Forum, as well as my local club members, although, so far, none of the latter group has offered to help "Knocking the nails in" !

Good luck with your plans, and keep us posted on progress.

Archived