Guess the cab

post-6977-0-42572200-1362134087.jpg

The three black and white vaccum brake cabs, top class 47, number not recorded, middle class25, 7642, one of a few fitted with a EQ vaccum brake for working unfitted trains without using the loco stright air brake, bottom, class40, 40009.

Tom

BIG Jim's is a 'NSE Networker Train' Concept style cab.

And bearing where he works/did work I suspect a 168. Look at all those engine fault lights - OMG!, Analog and Digital Speedo - Neat ...  Is that a G-SMR handset Jim?

MC

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I never did resolve this one and still have not.

attachicon.gifCab of what.jpg

Any further ideas

Terry

I worked for a few months on the Networker project in 1992 at the Technical Centre at Derby.  Also in the NSE area, there was a small group working on the preliminary work on a potentially large project to replace third rail slam door stock. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or the prospective class number.  It was not clear whether the stock was to be gangwayed or not (this might seem strange now but remember Networkers are not gangwayed - everything was then designed around single man operation).  This might have been one of the cab mock ups for these non gangwayed units.  The project was cancelled, I recall it was a bit of a shock to the team but not surprising given privatisation was just around the corner.  There certainly were mock ups for these units made at the RTC workshops but it could well be something else.

• RMweb Premium

I worked for a few months on the Networker project in 1992 at the Technical Centre at Derby.  Also in the NSE area, there was a small group working on the preliminary work on a potentially large project to replace third rail slam door stock. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or the prospective class number.  It was not clear whether the stock was to be gangwayed or not (this might seem strange now but remember Networkers are not gangwayed - everything was then designed around single man operation).  This might have been one of the cab mock ups for these non gangwayed units.  The project was cancelled, I recall it was a bit of a shock to the team but not surprising given privatisation was just around the corner.  There certainly were mock ups for these units made at the RTC workshops but it could well be something else.

That sounds like a interesting idea.

• RMweb Gold

BIG Jim's is a 'NSE Networker Train' Concept style cab.

And bearing where he works/did work I suspect a 168. Look at all those engine fault lights - OMG!, Analog and Digital Speedo - Neat ... Is that a G-SMR handset Jim?

MC

sorry not looked on here for a while, its a 165 unit in my pic, the digital bit of the speedo is the ATP display, only 1 engine fault light but there are various other fault lights (tripcock, atp etc) the switches at the top are isolation switches where you canisolate the failt to get out of trouble, the light above comes on if you isolate it

Archived