Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Indeed. Its a bit rich if I were to 3D print every wagon (tbh Im sure that some of the guys on here making trackmachines and such must have small mortgages on em). The cost works out at somewhere around £10 a body plus postage. Adding a peco chassis and some farish wheels all in for about £4.50ish makes the wagon about £15. Too much IMHO. Resin bodies would make em cheaper though.

Are you just visiting on saturday or are you doing anything?

Indeed. Its a bit rich if I were to 3D print every wagon (tbh Im sure that some of the guys on here making trackmachines and such must have small mortgages on em). The cost works out at somewhere around £10 a body plus postage. Adding a peco chassis and some farish wheels all in for about £4.50ish makes the wagon about £15. Too much IMHO. Resin bodies would make em cheaper though.

Are you just visiting on saturday or are you doing anything?

Just visiting the show, plaguing Neil and pestering a few Traders, other than that nothing special.

I will be bringing the Blue Sound 27 for a run, and have some bits to sell / trade.

And :sungum:

• Like 2

What you got? Any N stuff?

No nothing that would interest you mate, a couple of OO Class 50's and a Bachy warehouse.

All the N went with Glenfinick, which will be in RM in the next couple of Months I hope.

Just visiting the show, plaguing Neil and pestering a few Traders, other than that nothing special.

I will be bringing the Blue Sound 27 for a run, and have some bits to sell / trade.

What have i done wrong Hahahaha be good to see you mate.

The pocket should be the same size. Because it's mounted directly to the bogie, the mounting of the pocket allows it to swivel side to side a little. The actual NEM socket is a small piece of plastic that fits inside the chunky bogie moulding, so you shouldn't need to redesign. The corridor connector does stick out a long way though and looks nothing like the real one, just like on Hornbys...

jo

Cheers Jo that makes sense. I dont mind a longer gangway myself as it gives it more chance of closing the gap. Its protruding buffers that annoy me as there is no way of getting a good corridor connection without cutting them back to make room!

• RMweb Gold

One advantage of 3D printing is that the technology was originally designed for low cost prototyping - so components could be altered very slightly for best fit/shape etc s committing to mass production.

So if you wish you could test a variety of coupler lengths to produce the best fit for both coach-to coach and coach-to-power car combinations..

I do like the idea of the coupler however I did wonder whether the cam action of the mounts will give enough lateral movement for S-curves or whether it needs some for of pivot in the centre...

Cheers

Ben A.

There used to be a Parkwood kit for a Vanwide/VEA.

The Parkwood kits were taken up by the N Gauge Society an many have been released, but I can't see any mention of this particular kit in the Society kit list. I wonder if it is still to come or if there is an issue with the moulds.

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=ngs-wagons

Douglas

• RMweb Gold

Hi Douglas

The NGS is progressively re-introducing the Parkwood kits.  Although the mouldings are to a high standard, to ensure they fit in with the currenbt range, the instructions need redoing and decals need designing and producing too.

It may be that this process has not been completed with the VEA yet, which is why it has not been reintroduced, however if you are keen to get these items you might wish to email the shop direct for clarification.

cheers

Ben A

(NGS VP)

Thanks Ben,

I have already got one of the VEA kits from Parkwood Models days, and they are only just in my model's time period, being built in 1962. But it would be good if they were to be released in the Society's range.

I was thinking more of Cav's consideration of doing his own three-D printed version and his asking whether it was worthwhile given the cost.

The problem as was said earlier is the brake gear, as these wagons used BR clasp brakes.

I live in hope that having produced wagons with LNER clasp brakes, Bachmann will at some stage produce wagons with LMS style clasp brakes, as there were a lot of them. I think they would pass for the BR style used in the Vanwides, perhaps with a bit of modification.

Cheers,

Douglas

Well Im not adamant that I need VEAs its just that I have 3 of the peco ones already and dont want to waste the chassis really plus vans will be required for the distribution yard albeit I was planning on vdas and vgas. Im not adversed to sanding them flat and making the sides somewhat correct with plasticard but I feel the 3D printed then resin cast ones would be nice. To do that though for only 3 wagons is a bit ott. Doesnt address the incorrect chassis design though but I can live with those I think probably, until I decide to 3D print some of those too haha.

Edited by RBE

Had a nice Morning at the Mansfield Show today and a chat with Cav, he was weathering some N Gauge, coaches and had a nice display of his weathered Diesel power ready for MD.

He also had on display examples of his new Couplings and they look very robust but more prototypical than the standard offerings from any Manufacturer.

Unfortunately I'm not the best at photography but the quality of workmanship in such a small scale is astounding, here are a few of his 2mm Fine Scale Fleet, all suitably weathered and ready for action.

post-9335-0-47601200-1393694307_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06295100-1393694321_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-55938400-1393694359_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-49125200-1393694382_thumb.jpg

And the man himself in action delicately doing a Mk1 coach, he is picking out EACH HINGE and DOOR HANDEL with a little rust and then wiping it off again, but believe me it does show and looks much better for it.

post-9335-0-86124800-1393694394_thumb.jpg

EDIT = Hes NOT ASLEEP, honest, hahha

Thanks for the help and advice Cav. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 18

Cheers Andy. The pics a quite good. I enjoyed my weathering day and the chance to chat all things weathering and couplers and also catch up with friends. The coach is coming on I should finish it tomorrow and hopefully get a bit more done than today.

• Like 3

Its no worries chap, was good to meet you too, having a good chin wag is the name of the game, I still managed to get some weathering done. I think Ill bring some 4mm scale black number decals with me tomorrow and get the Dapol 58023 renumbered ready for muckying up!

That book looks like it might be interesting. I wonder if it has any pics of the old platform 2 station buildings in it?

• RMweb Premium

Well Im not adamant that I need VEAs its just that I have 3 of the peco ones already and dont want to waste the chassis really plus vans will be required for the distribution yard albeit I was planning on vdas and vgas. Im not adversed to sanding them flat and making the sides somewhat correct with plasticard but I feel the 3D printed then resin cast ones would be nice. To do that though for only 3 wagons is a bit ott. Doesnt address the incorrect chassis design though but I can live with those I think probably, until I decide to 3D print some of those too haha.

I always hoped Bachmann would have scaled down the VAA, VBA & VDA for the Farish range, along with the SSA. These would be rather useful wagons for the 1980s sectorisation period.

Yes although I dont think the farish vda is all that bad as is. The vga is nice.

Anyway a couple of hours tonight has spawned this. I will now paint before finishing off the brake gear shields. These do go together well.

post-6894-0-40791800-1393802500_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

You're making neat work of the JGA. It always gives me a kick seeing a kit I've been involved with being built and, hopefully, giving someone else pleasure.

Richard at Parkside Dundas did a great job of tooling the plastic body I always thought, though I had to work hard to convince him to take on the project. In the end I just sent him drawings with a note telling him that the curvature overall was no different to the roof of a wagon - he cut metal and pulled it off brilliantly!

Cheers

Ben A.

(NGS VP)

• Like 1