Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

Nice balanced range of new items. No surprise about the sye AL5, the Mk2F coaches are most welcome, the LMS Stanier Crab and 1F are nice, and although of no use to me, it's nice to see the Birdcage stock which gives hope that perhaps some LMS non corridor stock will come before long. Most of the announced prices seem competitive too which is good.

One question - does anyone lucky enough to have been to Coventry know if the "Centro" 150202 is in the original Reggierail inspired green with a blue stripe, or the later all over Central trains chest clinic green?

• RMweb Gold

The announcement does say "GWR green" and that sounds rather like a post-war version to me. Perhaps Bachmann have done their research properly and won't be offering a token pre-war livery version with all the later excresences. Mind you, that's never stopped them with the 57XX/8750 and another manufacture in another scale has recently done the same, if their early samples are anything to go by. Maybe there is a large market of folk who are either satisfied with later locos in pre-war liveries or are prepared to wield the scalpel to get it right.

Nick

There might also be a large number of people who just put up with what is avavailable as there is no other choice. Whilst i don't mind taking a scalpel to my 30 year old Arifix 14xx to "get it right", I'd rather not have to do that to what will, no doubt, be a very fine model that I've just paid £75 for.

As Rob alluded to, hopefully Bachmman will be open to advice and we will get a model like this :)

• RMweb Premium

Hmm safe to invest in a DJH J50 now then.  Or a London Road J6.  Ah well it'll give my wallet a rest after all the ER stuff over the last couple of years!

As a Southern Railway modeller I am pleased to see Bachmann doing the E4 , more Class C,s and The Birdcage coaches. But was really hoping Bachmann would do the Adams Class 0415 Radial tank , which ties in with the Bluebell theme and wishes beyond wishes an Adams T3 4-4-0 which is an NRM loco. Perhaps next year ?

But overall something for nearly everyone, well done Bachmann. More blue boxes for me too.

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

A brilliant set of announcements from Bachmann. I think genuinely there is something for most people in there. I am disappointed at the lack of a Caley 0-6-0 which given the success of the SE&CR C I felt was an obvious one- and I always remember Hornby telling us that blue engines sell!

E4 will be great and I predict that the LB&SCR version will be the sell out that this years SE&CR C was

The 2fs have been wanted for sometime, but for me the master stroke is the DBSO which will nicely complement my 47/7.

Hawksworth auto trailer will also be very useful.

It will be interesting to see what price the birdcage stock comes in at.

I think this announcement again demonstrates why Bachmann have been manufacturer of the year for a few years running, leaving Hornby in their wake.No doubt the collectors club mag and catalogues will be posted out shortly, efficiently with the minimum of fuss.

• RMweb Gold

And no wonder - here's a nice appetizer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N08/4166048684/

Edit: Note square cab/bunker join. 

Yes, I wonder which type they will do. The square one is more sensible, as this makes the conversion to a 74XX even more straightforward, although it's easier to file a curved join to a square than the other way round. From what I can see, all 54s had the curved join, all 74s had the square join, whereas it seems to have changed from curved to square some way through the 64XX build?

As pretty much every year, Bachmann have once again delivered a wonderfully balanced catalogue of new and reliveried stuff. The 64xx and autocoach are undoubtedly going to do well, even if another pannier tank joins the range. The "Stanier crab" is another sign that Bachmann understand their marketplace - another anonymous black "mundane" engine that we can fill sheds and sidings with. The NBL warship - gotta be a popular seller amongst all the other heavenly hydraulics we now have, particularly next to the Heljan 95xx and Hymek. Staying on the loco front, it's the "class 24/1" (which i take to be a headcode box fitted class 24) which i have concerns over. If it were to be a new totally new tooling i would be a very happy bunny, but methinks it is the old/current tooling with amendments to the cab roof dome and cab front. Maybe a new plug in boiler room frost panel with various slots, maybe a token catcher recess, and maybe the car headlights in the gangway area. There are other issues though with the current moulding, like incorrect stripwork on the roof (copied from cantrail grilled 25s), and rather mediocre representations of the fuel/water tanks and battery boxes. A spanking new moulding would present a very exciting future for Bachmann Sulzer type twos !!

What can i say about the wagon range - stonking !!! The usual mkx of vehicles we tend to expect from Bachmann, and definately very impressed. Once again it seems the guys from Barwell have researched thoroughly, and maybe with the help of wishlisting (unproven), are going to deliver some more of what we want. Not only new mouldings but also some very shrewd and clever use of existing range models.

Personally would have preferred a Midland 1P 0-4-4t to the 1F, but hey, the reproduction of the preserved loco may do both some good in terms of sales and fundraising.

All in all a great announcement by Bachmann, clearly unfettered by the two tier product range which their Kent competitor feels the need to maintain.

Bravo Barwell. !!!!

• RMweb Gold

There might also be a large number of people who just put up with what is avavailable as there is no other choice. Whilst i don't mind taking a scalpel to my 30 year old Arifix 14xx to "get it right", I'd rather not have to do that to what will, no doubt, be a very fine model that I've just paid £75 for.

As Rob alluded to, hopefully Bachmman will be open to advice and we will get a model like this :)

Great find there 57xx !

• RMweb Gold

I think you will need to start a thread along the 42xx/72xx types lines Mike with all the permutations etc.

Something that will really help with getting it right with these small panniers is The Pannier Papers No.7 (54Xx/64Xx/74XX) from Irwell Press. The existing books in the range are simply excellent, with lots of good quality B/W photos of the prototype. A canny publisher would now arrange to release the book a short while before the Bachmann loco....

The announcement does say "GWR green" and that sounds rather like a post-war version to me. Perhaps Bachmann have done their research properly and won't be offering a token pre-war livery version with all the later excresences. Mind you, that's never stopped them with the 57XX/8750 and another manufacture in another scale has recently done the same, if their early samples are anything to go by. Maybe there is a large market of folk who are either satisfied with later locos in pre-war liveries or are prepared to wield the scalpel to get it right.

Nick

I do hope Bachmann listen for once. A good friend who has been consulted on GW matters for many years has adised Bachmann on the topfeed dateses/period issues, but they have not attempted to alter the molds. It is not as if every GWR tank actually received topfeeds. Many were scrapped unmodified. With the associated autocoach being a BR build, I am fully expecting the topfeed to appear once again.

One added bonus of producing a 64XX is the future potential to produce a 2021, now Bachmann appear happy with pregrouping engines. (64XX has different wheel spacing to 57XX).

Mike Wiltshire

Yes, I wonder which type they will do. The square one is more sensible, as this makes the conversion to a 74XX even more straightforward, although it's easier to file a curved join to a square than the other way round. From what I can see, all 54s had the curved join, all 74s had the square join, whereas it seems to have changed from curved to square some way through the 64XX build?

The wording in the RCTS volume is:

"No. 6430 was also the first to have a whistle shield, the small pattern being used for Nos. 6430-9 and 7400-29 and the intersection of the cab and bunker altered."

Now that's not the clearest piece of written english, but I think it means that 6430 was also the first to have the square pattern.

Nick

ps. I think someone mentioned earlier that the Bachmann site says "Two differing cab/bunker arrangements" so presumably both styles, unless they are intending to do 2062 as the prototype 5400, which was temporarily fitted with smaller wheels to be the prototype 64XX  :scratchhead: 

One last thing: '20 Ton Tank Wagon ‘NCB’ Weathered'! Be interesting to see the artwork for this one, as I've been planning on building a couple of NCB Fuel Oil tanks at some point.

I think it is too early to speculate on  what tank wagon they are doing. Whether it is similar to the RCH one as modelled by Hornby or a later anchor mounted post war type.

Paul Bartlett

I hope they get the right type of tank on the warflat!

Regards

Richard

So do I. I have supplied the BR instructions which show which tanks are suitable. I have always assumed that the KFA new build was necessary as the more recent tanks could not be loaded on the WW2 Warflats. It is as a base vehicle for other wagons that makes the WW2 Warflat such a good choice, with very long lives.

Paul Bartlett

The Wickham trolly is of real interest. I have no actual need for one but it is so unusual I will buy one. Our local inspection trolly below could be seen at Darlington until recently.

Mike Wiltshire

This has been on my wish-list for a long time. They weren't that unusual - hundreds of the blighters were built. I've no idea how it'll be converted to DCC, mind.

My layout idea is for a branch line terminus and small fuelling point set somewhere in north Montgomeryshire in the late 1970s. This'll correspond to the time I was at primary school in Welshpool, long before the bypass was built. I remember running out of class when the dinner time bell rang at 12 and I usually managed to get to the stile to see the 12pm Cl 120 DMU roll in from the west. From time to time a Wickham trolley would tootle in the opposite direction a few minutes later. Raaaaaaaasp.

I wonder if the Bachy model will come with a scale loudhailer and collection of female teachers?

Archived