Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

Don't know if this has been mentioned before or not.  Noticed today in the latest Bachmann Collectors Club mag, announced for a May release - 39-001W :  BR MK1 RTC Derby Twin Pack of Lab 10 and Lab 11.   Hopefully the MK1 BSO will now be added to the coaching stock range also.

I hope they do a proper job and do a BSO

if its a MZ special i doubt it. they love that RTC stuff but remember the last mk2 rtc effort?

admit a BSO would be good though i would have had that down as being mentioned in the recent release program not slipped in quietly under the radar of the club mag without making a big noise over it.

if its a MZ special i doubt it. they love that RTC stuff but remember the last mk2 rtc effort?

admit a BSO would be good though i would have had that down as being mentioned in the recent release program not slipped in quietly under the radar of the club mag without making a big noise over it.

Yes, the MZ BR(WR) autocoach in RTC colours was really accurate IIRC - not.

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/150375b.jpg

http://www.modelfair.com/sites/1002/images/product_images/original/46545.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Having now digested the news and received my catalogue with the Collectors Mag, thanks Bachmann, a few things occur to me.

Firstly, in what I think is a good move, all models introduced in this announcement will be supplied Dcc ready. In previous years, and in some models still to come, one variant is usually dcc fitted and others ready. So, for instance, we have the ridiculous situation where the green 32xx Earl is only supplied dcc fitted or dcc on board as Bachmann refer to it. This has certainly stopped me from ordering it. You have a similar situation with the forthcoming class 40s where only the green version with centre headcodebis suitable for non dcc use.

Secondly, looks like the Fairburn tank and Turbostar have both been dropped or rested this year.

But overall I'm very happy with the Bachmann announcements. Lots of interest in there

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, in what I think is a good move, all models introduced in this announcement will be supplied Dcc ready. In previous years, and in some models still to come, one variant is usually dcc fitted and others ready. So, for instance, we have the ridiculous situation where the green 32xx Earl is only supplied dcc fitted or dcc on board as Bachmann refer to it. This has certainly stopped me from ordering it. You have a similar situation with the forthcoming class 40s where only the green version with centre headcodebis suitable for non dcc use.

DCC-fitted locos should run fine on DC, unless the owner specifically alters the programming to disable this, which DC modellers clearly do not have the kit to do. If you resent paying extra for the decoder, I fully understand, but the loco will still work for you.

• RMweb Premium

DCC-fitted locos should run fine on DC, unless the owner specifically alters the programming to disable this, which DC modellers clearly do not have the kit to do. If you resent paying extra for the decoder, I fully understand, but the loco will still work for you.

Thanks Olddudders. Actually I use HF cleaners so that's why I avoid Dcc chips. So making everything Dcc ready to me is the best policy as you can then choose to fit decoders or not

it certainly is time the manufacturers adopted a policy on DCC. As time moves on more and more people will embrace DCC and decoders need to be a standard fit. A bit like built in sat navs in cars or freeview systems in TVs. I am guessing users of HF track cleaners are very much in the minority, and do ast least have the option of removing the decoders, unlike the aforementioned cars and TVs.

The current situation where we have 6, 8, 21 and 22 pin decoders as well as the hardwire option, doesn`t really benefit the consumer in my opinion.

• RMweb Premium

it certainly is time the manufacturers adopted a policy on DCC. As time moves on more and more people will embrace DCC and decoders need to be a standard fit. A bit like built in sat navs in cars or freeview systems in TVs. I am guessing users of HF track cleaners are very much in the minority, and do ast least have the option of removing the decoders, unlike the aforementioned cars and TVs.

The current situation where we have 6, 8, 21 and 22 pin decoders as well as the hardwire option, doesn`t really benefit the consumer in my opinion.

Hi Phil

I am ready to start up my business to convert DCC fitted locos to DC....hardwired. :D

• RMweb Gold

I think that's a long way off.

According to various retailers I have spoken too, only about one in seven or eight of their customers have "gone DCC" so far.

I don't necessarily agree, however that the proliferation of interfaces is a big problem. You are only going to put one decoder in each loco and you just buy a decoder to fit whatever socket is provided.

In the field of DCC ready/fitted, Hornby deal with it better than Bachmann because they make most locos available with and without DCC. Bachmann's approach is far too random.

John

According to various retailers I have spoken too, only about one in seven or eight of their customers have "gone DCC" so far.

I don't necessarily agree, however that the proliferation of interfaces is a big problem. You are only going to put one decoder in each loco and you just buy a decoder to fit whatever socket is provided.

In the field of DCC ready/fitted, Hornby deal with it better than Bachmann because they make most locos available with and without DCC. Bachmann's approach is far too random.

I thought DCC was one in ten but I have bought several DCC locos as bargains. I assume they were not selling well so were reduced to well below the DC ones. As I am DC I cut out the "thingy". I have had dry joints causing problems in this area so "if in doubt chop it out". I do admire DCC in the right hands but I am too set in my ways to convert.  I bet I am not on my own in wishing for the green class 40 D211 less sound and DCC!

The only problem I see with this is that some of the decoders fitted 'as standard' are on the poorer cheaper end. Personally I buy DCC ready and then choose the decoder that fits the motor characteristics best. I don't really want to spend the extra on a decoder I don't want just to have to replace it... 

• RMweb Gold

I thought DCC was one in ten but I have bought several DCC locos as bargains. I assume they were not selling well so were reduced to well below the DC ones. As I am DC I cut out the "thingy". I have had dry joints causing problems in this area so "if in doubt chop it out". I do admire DCC in the right hands but I am too set in my ways to convert.  I bet I am not on my own in wishing for the green class 40 D211 less sound and DCC!

I've had a few bargains that way, too. 

Bachmann DCC locos run reasonably well on straight DC but better with the chip removed.

However, as Phil warns, HF track cleaning gadgets will fry DCC chips instantly. It is very important to remember this if you run your locos on other peoples' layouts! 

I just put in blanking plugs and flogged the chips to a mate who does use DCC, making my locos even better bargains!

John

I've had a few bargains that way, too. 

Bachmann DCC locos run reasonably well on straight DC but better with the chip removed.

However, as Phil warns, HF track cleaning gadgets will fry DCC chips instantly. It is very important to remember this if you run your locos on other peoples' layouts! 

I just put in blanking plugs and flogged the chips to a mate who does use DCC, making my locos even better bargains!

John

This is the way forward. I have removed several chips for friends and fitted them to one of my locos using the blanking plate from my loco to replace the removed chip. I get a slightly cheaper chip and my friend gets a DC friendly loco .... win, win. All the DCC fitted locos I have dechipped have in fact had a blanking plate in the "bits bag" so it looks as if Bachmann expect people to do this.

• RMweb Premium

I too have HF track cleaners so it's a pull the engine apart before it can be used which I don't want to do, I'm hoping my dealer will remove it FOC and keep it as payment when I purchase the Dukedog I'm sure he will if not it  stays in the store.

81C

Equally I, as a DCC user, don't want to have to pull my locos apart to fit a decoder.

Hopefully as DCC use increases, as I'm sure it will, DCC fitted will become the norm rather than the other way round. But I accept we're not there yet.

Interestingly, many non-UK European outline models now come DCC Ready or DCC sound fitted. And the price difference is much less than we see here - for example a Roco Swiss Re6/6 is €249 DCC ready and only €319 DCC sound. So around £50 more compared to the over £100 we seem to pay for UK outline. Food for thought...

• RMweb Gold

Equally I, as a DCC user, don't want to have to pull my locos apart to fit a decoder.

Hopefully as DCC use increases, as I'm sure it will, DCC fitted will become the norm rather than the other way round. But I accept we're not there yet.

Interestingly, many non-UK European outline models now come DCC Ready or DCC sound fitted. And the price difference is much less than we see here - for example a Roco Swiss Re6/6 is €249 DCC ready and only €319 DCC sound. So around £50 more compared to the over £100 we seem to pay for UK outline. Food for thought...

I can't see any reason why a DCC fitted loco couldn't be fitted with a bypass switch to take the chip out of circuit.

That would be a particular help for members of clubs with several layouts some of which might be DCC and others not. 

I also find it a bit odd that Bachmann instruct purchasers to run their locos in on DC before using them on DCC. That is OK for established modellers who probably have an old controller in the cupboard but they surely don't expect newcomers to get one just for running in purposes.

John

• RMweb Premium

[OT]

Making it easier to fit a DCC decoder would help. Having to fit decoders into the insides of locos really has been a faff and arguably should only ever have been an interim solution. Hopefully in future it will be possible to make decoders like the little ones intended for N gauge that can work at HO/OO voltages and with all the features, and be a really simple plug-in on the underside of a loco or tender. I'll admit that right now such a solution probably isn't really practical due to the sheer size of some of the decoders. Sound decoders might be a special case problem, due to the extra space required for memory on the decoder, and of course the need to fit a speaker somewhere and wire it up.

Also, the need for a blanking plug could potentially be avoided if some way to allow the socket to 'automatically' reset itself for non-DCC could be implemented. Of course, all this adds to the price and as we are constantly told, no-one in this country wants to pay anything for anything.

[/OT]

[OT]

Making it easier to fit a DCC decoder would help. Having to fit decoders into the insides of locos really has been a faff and arguably should only ever have been an interim solution. Hopefully in future it will be possible to make decoders like the little ones intended for N gauge that can work at HO/OO voltages and with all the features, and be a really simple plug-in on the underside of a loco or tender. I'll admit that right now such a solution probably isn't really practical due to the sheer size of some of the decoders. Sound decoders might be a special case problem, due to the extra space required for memory on the decoder, and of course the need to fit a speaker somewhere and wire it up.

Also, the need for a blanking plug could potentially be avoided if some way to allow the socket to 'automatically' reset itself for non-DCC could be implemented. Of course, all this adds to the price and as we are constantly told, no-one in this country wants to pay anything for anything.

[/OT]

Interestingly the only loco/DMU advertised as DC and DCC compliant is the Blue Pullman. Perhaps we'll see more of this type of installation... 

I can't see any reason why a DCC fitted loco couldn't be fitted with a bypass switch to take the chip out of circuit.

In theory, no - in practice it may be a bit more difficult because of the number of pins involved.  If you just want a simple on DC, just work the motor set up, then a bypass switch "just" needs to deal with 4 pins, if not your simplest case might be 6 pins and working from there on up.  The kind of switches you need to deal with that end up quite bulky quite rapidly.

Interestingly the only loco/DMU advertised as DC and DCC compliant is the Blue Pullman. Perhaps we'll see more of this type of installation... 

Not quite, the B*** P****** works better on DC with the chips removed and the blanking plugs fitted.

Graham

If it is correct that only one-in-ten purchasers are DCC, then it is clearly wrong for plastic RTR manufacturers to adopt the stance of fitting chips AND charging for them. Until at least 50% of the market demands DCC-chip fitted, all locos should be sold chip-free instead of penalising DC users with a premium price and forcing the 'majority market' to take the models apart. It is not as if locos are 'one screw out to remove body' as they were at one time.

DCC users too lose out when the livery of their choice might not happen to be DCC chip fitted.

Isn't it cheaper to buy a DC locomotive and then buy the chip at a later date to suit the modeller needs. I mean it is more convenient to do that, than spending the extra money to buy a DCC fitted locomotive only to take time to take the chip out depending the power output of one selves layout 

• RMweb Premium

If it is correct that only one-in-ten purchasers are DCC, then it is clearly wrong for plastic RTR manufacturers to adopt the stance of fitting chips AND charging for them. Until at least 50% of the market demands DCC-chip fitted, all locos should be sold chip-free instead of penalising DC users with a premium price and forcing the 'majority market' to take the models apart. It is not as if locos are 'one screw out to remove body' as they were at one time.

DCC users too lose out when the livery of their choice might not happen to be DCC chip fitted.

Hi Larry

As a DC modeller I get frustrated when I see DCC fitted and DCC with Sound locos on the shelf of my local shop in a livery or a variation that I would have purchased if avaiable as a DC loco. I do not feel I have lost out but the manufacturer has as I have not opened my wallet to pay over the top for bits I will be removing.  

Archived