RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

The Atlas steam tram has just arrived in the post, comes up fully to expectations. Not removed from display base yet but it appears that the 'locomotive' part is largely die cast and the carriage is plastic. One slight disappointment is that the carriage underframe is moulded in one piece, incorporating both bogies and underframe, the wheels appear to be separate however. The track gauge appears to be 12 mm on the base.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Lima steam locos always seemed pretty thin on the ground, my guessing is it won't be a Lima 45xx. I wonder what happened to the Lima steam loco tools? Did they rust away like the Kitmaster J94 kit was supposed to have done for instance?

Sorry for the slight thread drift, I've no idea what happened to the Lima tooling, but the Kitmaster J94 tooling didn't rust away.  When Airfix took over they never produced any J94 kits as far as I know.  When the tooling passed to Dapol, they went on to produce some of the J94 kits, because I have a couple salted away for future projects. (I can't lay my hands on them at the moment.)  The story I was told, (and I have no way of proving whether this is true or not), is that the kit tooling was damaged shortly after Dapol released their RTR J94 and it was later reported to be one the moulds destroyed in the Winsford fire, so never made the transition to the Chirk factory.

Kind regards

Paul

Edit, I lied!  Airfix did produce some J94 kits, see attached link http://www.yesterdaystoys.co.uk/Airfix-Series-2-No-R205-Saddle-Tank-J94-OO-Scale-Model-Kit-1966-68_A1BDPR.aspx

Edited by Moxy
  • Like 1

>SNIPPED

As there is a seperate layer with the cab interior, it should be able to hold the LED in place quite well, stick a couple of left over Hornby crew figures inside (would I be right in saying these originate with Tri-ang?) Have to have a think about the switch. Pack of four flickering tealight candles for 99p from Home Bargains if anyone wants to try it, complete with battery, works out cheaper than some shops sell a single battery for of the same time included.

Will try to weather it but can't promise it will be as good as darrell's excellent job as we've seen.

Yes, the Loco Crew were Tri-ang Railways originally, though they originally came painted. R.413, Introduced in 1962, as "loose" items, Retail 9d a set of 2. 6 sets in cellophane without a header card from the ones I have seen, packed in a Tri-ang Railways  AA Box for the Trade.

From 1963, certain locomotives were sold with a set of R.413 Loco Crew included.

I am not certain, but from some of the locos I have seen, I think a lot of these Locos had the crew figures glued in place at the factory. Otherwise they were in the loco box in the cellophane pack.

Edited by Sarahagain

Well..... It might be blistering heat out side but it seems to be raining GBL loco's at my door !!!

Some months ago I placed a direct order for the 28XX class and COT models.

Money taken then sat back and waited, and waited, and waited....you get the idea.

Several phone calls later and approx. 9 weeks wait they arrived....... Wahoo!

The main plan was/ is to have a "play" with the bodies, in the vein of Stefan aka "Knobhead" of this parish.

Lo and behold two more turned up this morning which were due to the company's mess up !

When offered back, like an honest person that I am, I was told " our mistake sir you can keep them with our compliments ".

RESULT !!!

Now if only Bachmann, Hornby, etc etc would do that , huh! Fat chance

Happy modelling everybody, happy modelling ! :)

• Like 6

I am not certain, but from some of the locos I have seen, I think a lot of these Locos had the crew figures glued in place at the factory. Otherwise they were in the loco box in the cellophane pack.

I'm doubtful and would welcome confirmation of any that were "factory fitted".

Reminds me of the "new" B12 I bought from one of the traders at the Bluebell Model Railway Fair a few years ago.  Couldn't really take a good look before buying, but was assured that the loco was "new".  Given that the fireman was found to be glued to the cab floor and the gears were stripped suggests the trader may have a different definition of "new" to the rest of humanity.

Hi Gareth,

Decals can be obtained from Modelmaster in Scotland.

Only slight issue is that decals will give correct red/grey lining rather than incorrect Triang red/white.

If this is acceptable for you its the way to go.

The Modelmaster decals are extremely high quality and easy to use - unlike some other makes.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Thank you for the tip. I have found decals for the lining stripes (which I suspect will cause me much heartache in application!), and the numbers (?Wolf seem best), but the only correct BR later crests I could find on the site appear to be on either green or blue sheets. I assume I will need crests on a black background, so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Gareth

Edited by Nighthawk

Have a look at Fox Transfers.

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers?model_product=1181&scale=2235&transfer_company=2151&transfer_model_type=2158&transfer_period=2156

I use them, and with care they give a great result, bearing in mind that I'm applying yellow lettering over Maunsell green paint. No need for the blanking sheet - or if you really need one they do a plain black.

Have a look at Fox Transfers.

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers?model_product=1181&scale=2235&transfer_company=2151&transfer_model_type=2158&transfer_period=2156

I use them, and with care they give a great result, bearing in mind that I'm applying yellow lettering over Maunsell green paint. No need for the blanking sheet - or if you really need one they do a plain black.

I think Modelmasters do decals on coloured backgrounds to save the trouble of removing the tampoed number.

Much appreciated advice, thank you.

I suspected that the green / blue backgrounds were to avoid having to remove the original marking.

I will probably go with the Fox Transfers, and will cross check the size tomorrow.

Gareth

Well out came the paint the saw and the dremel today and my Jinty now looks marginally better. I just need a suitable set of wheels, I have built a set of frames from plasticard (I've heard both success and horror stories about plasticard frames but to start with at least it won't be powered which should take some stress away from them.) I wish I could afford or had the skill to use brass but oh well. I don't suppose anyone is willing to part with a set of Bachmann Jinty wheels?

Rhys

• Like 1

Much appreciated advice, thank you.

I suspected that the green / blue backgrounds were to avoid having to remove the original marking.

I will probably go with the Fox Transfers, and will cross check the size tomorrow.

Gareth

Have a look at HMRS transfers sheet 14 BR steam era loco and coach insignia. It's what I have been using it has enough for lots of locos it includes numbers and early and late crests in different sizes also electrification warning signs and the words BRITISH RAILWAYS for early BR steam locos. No smoking signs first class signs. the sheet I had has done 12 locos so far and 12 of the Hattchete no 1s. From memory it was about £9 excellent value for money. It will last you a while.

Thank you for the tip. I have found decals for the lining stripes (which I suspect will cause me much heartache in application!), and the numbers (?Wolf seem best), but the only correct BR later crests I could find on the site appear to be on either green or blue sheets. I assume I will need crests on a black background, so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Gareth

Hi.

The Modelmasters Transfers are NOT the crest and a coloured background.

They are, like most transfers, the crest on a CLEAR background.

The company uses a coloured background in the advertising pictures to help you see the crest.

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/BR194895Emblems.php

I have nothing to do with the company, except as a happy customer!

Modelmasters DO produce "blanking patches" of the appropriate colour to blank out RTR numbers. The new number transfers are usually on a clear background, and are used on top of the blanking patch...

Incidentally, watch out for the prices.

Modelmasters website prices are Plus Postage and Packing, which is £1.35....

Also...

The Minimum Total Order is £4.75, excluding Postage & Packaging.

You can get them via Ebay for less from follymodels, who's prices include P&P....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODELMASTER-G402-BR-LION-INSIDE-WHEEL-LOCO-CRESTS-1956-1968-DECALS-TRANSFERS-/221481440307?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3391529433

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODELMASTER-G402a-BR-LION-INSIDE-WHEEL-SET-2-LOCO-CREST-1956-68-DECALS-TRANSFERS-/310945220322?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4865c786e2

I have not used this outlet though...yet.

Edited by Sarahagain

Seing as no one has offered me their Bachmann Jinty wheels yet ;) maybe someone could show me a photo of a real one between the frames under the boiler at the front end, not strictly the right place to ask but it can't hurt.

Rhys

@Sarahgain - with what do you disagree, and why?

If I was wrong, surely it would be helpful to other posters to explain that, would it not, rather than simply chuck a disagree in?

Perhaps you'd like to look at their range of colour blanking panels, made for expressly the purpose I described:

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/Colour_Blanking.php

And then explain the disagree to me.

• RMweb Premium

@Sarahgain - with what do you disagree, and why?

If I was wrong, surely it would be helpful to other posters to explain that, would it not, rather than simply chuck a disagree in?

Perhaps you'd like to look at their range of colour blanking panels, made for expressly the purpose I described:

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/Colour_Blanking.php

And then explain the disagree to me.

Well, it's clear to me.

You stated "I think Modelmasters do decals on coloured backgrounds to save the trouble of removing the tampoed number".

Sarahagain stated, in #1866, "The Modelmasters Transfers are NOT the crest and a coloured background. They are, like most transfers, the crest on a CLEAR background. The company uses a coloured background in the advertising pictures to help you see the crest". She went on to state "Modelmasters DO produce "blanking patches" of the appropriate colour to blank out RTR numbers. The new number transfers are usually on a clear background, and are used on top of the blanking patch...".

I took your statement to mean that Modelmasters supplied decals printed directly onto patches coloured to match the loco, thus avoiding the use of blanking patches.

Sarahagain disagreed with your statement and explained why in #1866.

In #1869, you state "Perhaps you'd like to look at their range of colour blanking panels, made for expressly the purpose I described: ....", which is not what you originally stated but is, in fact, what Sarahagain explained.

No mystery there, surely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi,

The difference is that R59 is a BR Standard 2-6-2T and R059 is the GWR 2721.

As Saraagain has said Rovex restarted the R series numbers and the use of the zero was to prevent any confusion between old models and those with reused numbers - I think this was with particular reference to internal factory paperwork, especially works orders and parts store inventories.

Regards

The use of the zero was simply to bring in a constant three digits to the reference numbers and nothing to do with duplicating it for a different model, for example many ref numbers over R99 were reused and they did not have a leading zero added, R154 being originally a clockwork diesel and later a King Arthur. Edited by Butler Henderson

Well, it's clear to me.

You stated "I think Modelmasters do decals on coloured backgrounds to save the trouble of removing the tampoed number".

Sarahagain stated, in #1866, "The Modelmasters Transfers are NOT the crest and a coloured background. They are, like most transfers, the crest on a CLEAR background. The company uses a coloured background in the advertising pictures to help you see the crest". She went on to state "Modelmasters DO produce "blanking patches" of the appropriate colour to blank out RTR numbers. The new number transfers are usually on a clear background, and are used on top of the blanking patch...".

I took your statement to mean that Modelmasters supplied decals printed directly onto patches coloured to match the loco, thus avoiding the use of blanking patches.

Sarahagain disagreed with your statement and explained why in #1866.

In #1869, you state "Perhaps you'd like to look at their range of colour blanking panels, made for expressly the purpose I described: ....", which is not what you originally stated but is, in fact, what Sarahagain explained.

No mystery there, surely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I stand corrected and abashed for making a slight terminological inexactitude.

I won't do it again.

It was bound to happen. I removed three screws and this happened.

attachicon.gifGBL_J_1.jpg

Lots of small detail parts glued on, they seem to have put a lot of effort into this one.

There are - or were - a pair available at Ealing WHS today. I suppose it might be possible to plonk the body on a High Level chassis.....

• Like 1

I'll try to work out how to post photos of my K3,but in summary...
I removed all the moulded handrails, steam pipe and reversing lever, and replaced them. I also adjusted the front buffer block to put in the notches designed to clear platform edges.I removed the LNER cabside numbers as mine will be in BR lined black.
The chassis used is a Bachmann V1 which I picked up for a tenner.The valve gear is not accurate, but the wheels are a better diameter than the Bachmann K3. You need to carve out a fair bit of plastic from the loco  footplate,almost back to the cab front and out as far as the moulded lines on the running plate. I also had to cut the chassis block behind the motor where the redundant rear pony truck was located. This was easy enough with a new metal hacksaw blade, but watch for metal getting into the split chassis and causing a short.The body is a tight force fit.I painted the wheels to hide the awful silver rims.
The tender is Bachmann coping version, currently available on EBay for£9.99.
So the whole thing has cost me under £30 plus bits from the spares box , tender underframe, handrail knobs,transfers. Next stop K5. I have also motorised a Deltic and 9F and will try to describe these if anyone is interested.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 8