RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

I think you was too harsh on the cab glazing. It does fit into the side windows, the one on mine needed to be pushed into place on both sides. It's not very thick, which improves its look, and completely free of glue (unlike some of my earlier ones).

The only issue I have with mine is too much silver paint. Overall a fairly good model.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you 'The Weatheringman' for your comprehensive review. I'm always happy to glean more information, prototype and /or model, about locos outside my areas of immediate interest, so your post as ever was a worthwhile read.

I do have a Hornby 'Legends' series Nunney Castle which I think was probably an enhanced Railroad model. A quick comparison with the GBL version shows up the same lack of rivet detail and shape of the cab roof.

Does anyone know if this is decended from the Airfix model, or was there a further 'interim' Hornby version prior to the most recent 'full fat' Hornby Castle?

Regards,

John

Hi Skinnylinny,

Been up in loft with camera and scewdriver.

post-4032-0-74965000-1407585804.jpg

Airfix castle in front, GBL other side of platform.  Castle behind is Hornby Dublo Bristol Castle.

post-4032-0-96860300-1407585901.jpg

That's the GBL body.

post-4032-0-42613300-1407585946.jpg

Comparison of Airfix (green and boiler bottom) with GBL (black).   The Airfix chassis (unpowered due to tender drive) is secured by 2 screws one under cab, other near smoke box, which also hoilds bogie on. The GBL "chassis" is held on by a screw into the long circular fixing half way along the boiler.  I then cut this out. There is a small screw hole under the cab on the GBL one but this is slightly further forwards than the Airfix one.

post-4032-0-51391500-1407586175.jpg  

The Airfx chassis will fit under the GBL body but at first sat slightly too far back. I think this can be packed so the driving wheels are centred correctly under the splashers. The cylinders will fit into the cut outs on the underneath of the running plate so the chassis can be aligned properly. You'd have to fit a plate under the smokebox for the front fixing screw to go into. 

So it can be done with a bit of extra work but body fixings aren't  totally identical to the old Airfix one.

post-4032-0-75208800-1407586438.jpg

There's a pic of the unpowered Airfix chassis with it's weight. I took the cab off the GBL one because it looked too high compared to the Roche drawing but it seems the same as the Airfix (therefore Dapol/Hornby one).

post-4032-0-54257900-1407586558.jpg

There's one more pic of the Airfix castle with the Great Model Railways box it's been living in for years (well since 1980 or so).

Ok, I think the GBL one has promise and could be turned into a working model ok, and with extra detail could well become an accurate model of a particular Castle.

Thanks for the review TheWeatheringMan and for the extra Castle details from other posters as well.  You're selling me on getting the SEfinecast kit as well now.

cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Smiffs in Union St Brum had 5 Castles this morning.

Don't know what happened to the Jinties as I never saw any in there!

Maybe a Vulture swooped and had the lot!

Keith

I bought one from the Brum store last Saturday (2nd) - there were about eight in there at that time (by the door with Sainbury's metro opposite). I was lucky that I had such a choice, so chose one I thought was in the best condition. I don't normally bother with GBL (after Mallard), as there hasn't been anything produced i've had a use for, but the Jinty was based on the Bachmann model and so caught my eye. I mainly bought it with a view of stripping useable bits, and then weathering up/scrapping the remainder for a shed road on my layout.

Not really bothered with the Castle, but am certainly interested in the Compound as I bought a Bachmann model recently second hand with a step (and a couple of other bits) missing.

Edited by 84A

Hi,

Roche drawings should be treated with caution as should those of CJ Freezer as errors can be found in many.

From memory I seem to think the 'Castle' drawing is less than perfect in several respects including the cab.

Regards

What! Shock horror! But I paid 30 shillings for my Ian Allen collection of F J Roche drawings in Foyles in, er, well rather a few years ago! :O 

Best comparing several sources, I guess.

I've just been looking at a load of Castle photos and perhaps the cab roof is really higher than I expected so the GBL cab height could be ok (I first though it looked a bit high).   Really like Castles, if I had just one large scale model in a glass case then it would have to be one. Probably why I kept the Hornby Dublo and Airfix ones.  

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Horsetan posted earlier mentioning several differences applying to 'Castles' over the years. Most of those differences I mentioned in the review but Horsetan also mentioned 'two different sizes of cab spectical windows'. This concerns me as I can find no mention of any such difference in any of my reference sources and have as far as I can recall never heard such mentioned, I cannot detect any difference from study of very many photos or drawings - although the drawn line is of course not positive proof one way or the other.

If this was the case perhaps someone might point me in the direction of the proof for interest (Ivan?).

Regards

This one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/1K86yxwcQ0uhso-eWSfEKQ

And this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_4073_Class#mediaviewer/File:5034_Corfe_Castle_fresh_from_the_works.jpg

Possibly?

Keith

Dear all a newcomer to this forum however have been following since beginning...my tag might give away my modelling preferences. Firstly may I say always enjoy The weathering mans reviews....so much so bought a book this afternoon about the GWR 460s. So that is where my favourite loco designer got his inspiration from....married to Tom Colemans lLanky and Yorky cabs.....

One area that does not seem to have been mentioned is the use of these bodies by the P4 ...EM modellers. I used to have an extensive EM collection and used to entreat the guys at Comet models to produce more of their chassis kits....only to be informed the RTR boys (understandably) wanted to sell complete locos rather than the bodies alone.

I have returned to mainstream OO and have an extensive fleet as Mr York can testify. I have so far used the streamline duchess body on a current Hornby chassis. The black5 is currently being butchered to produce the high footplate Caprotti with comet chassis...scratch cylinders and an exquisite set of Hornby duke valve gear...photos when more presentable

• Like 1

One thing about GBL that is a bonus is the plinth that the loco comes on, which is handy for displaying other locos when placed  on a shelf.  Very handy (expect that's been commented on somewhere above already).

Sarahagain painted one up earlier in this thread, here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/?p=1394374

Looks the business to my eye.

Cheers

Phil

....Horsetan posted earlier mentioning several differences applying to 'Castles' over the years. Most of those differences I mentioned in the review but Horsetan also mentioned 'two different sizes of cab spectical windows'. This concerns me as I can find no mention of any such difference in any of my reference sources and have as far as I can recall never heard such mentioned, I cannot detect any difference from study of very many photos or drawings - although the drawn line is of course not positive proof one way or the other.

If this was the case perhaps someone might point me in the direction of the proof for interest (Ivan?).

Regards

You might want to have a look in the recently reprinted Irwell Press "Book in the Castles". Several photos in there clearly showing that some had cab spectacles that were wider than others.... Edited by Horsetan

Dear all a newcomer to this forum however have been following since beginning...my tag might give away my modelling preferences. Firstly may I say always enjoy The weathering mans reviews....so much so bought a book this afternoon about the GWR 460s. So that is where my favourite loco designer got his inspiration from....married to Tom Colemans lLanky and Yorky cabs.....

One area that does not seem to have been mentioned is the use of these bodies by the P4 ...EM modellers. I used to have an extensive EM collection and used to entreat the guys at Comet models to produce more of their chassis kits....only to be informed the RTR boys (understandably) wanted to sell complete locos rather than the bodies alone.

I have returned to mainstream OO and have an extensive fleet as Mr York can testify. I have so far used the streamline duchess body on a current Hornby chassis. The black5 is currently being butchered to produce the high footplate Caprotti with comet chassis...scratch cylinders and an exquisite set of Hornby duke valve gear...photos when more presentable

Welcome to RMweb!

Stanier was trained at Swindon so obtained more than inspiration...

(I failed to understand the reasoning in an article in the current issue of 'Traction' (issue 223), where it was said that putting their feet up was preferred to going to look at no. 5029, whereas a Stanier locomotive would have been a different matter?????).

I think the lack of spare bodies is due to modern (Chinese) manufacturing methods. Ruled by accountants, if x components are needed for x finished models that's what you get!

The plinths would be more useful if they were to 16.5mm gauge. (4mm scale is perhaps too much to ask!)

One thing about GBL that is a bonus is the plinth that the loco comes on, which is handy for displaying other locos when placed  on a shelf.  Very handy (expect that's been commented on somewhere above already).

I take mine off the plinth so I can get more of them into my display case. That said my display case is full now.

If it's of any interest lidl have sold large display cases in the past normally about December time. When I say large I mean large. They hold about 80 locomotives. Really good quality and the doors lock as well. Even better is they only cost about £70 a similar case from one of the companies that advertise in the model press is £500. I'm delighted with mine well worth keeping an eye out for them, I'm going to buy another one especially with all the GBL models I have now.

Welcome to RMweb!

Stanier was trained at Swindon so obtained more than inspiration...

(I failed to understand the reasoning in an article in the current issue of 'Traction' (issue 223), where it was said that putting their feet up was preferred to going to look at no. 5029, whereas a Stanier locomotive would have been a different matter?????).

I think the lack of spare bodies is due to modern (Chinese) manufacturing methods. Ruled by accountants, if x components are needed for x finished models that's what you get!

The plinths would be more useful if they were to 16.5mm gauge. (4mm scale is perhaps too much to ask!)

Il Grifone

I fully appreciate Sir Williams enduring and life long love of Swindon and it's products. I am just pleased he bought his expertise over to the LMS and formed the team that produced the locos I love. I do admire the products of other companies, not least when they are modelled as John Dornam has done with his king models. On this last subject just read about King Henry's final journey from Tyeseley to Swindon.....a poignant read not least the salute from the locos on shed! Off now to test run my Caprotti chassis......comet models with high level gearbox...mashima motor....as stated photos in fue course

• Like 1

... the use of these bodies by the P4 ...EM modellers. I used to have an extensive EM collection and used to entreat the guys at Comet models to produce more of their chassis kits....only to be informed the RTR boys (understandably) wanted to sell complete locos rather than the bodies alone.

....I think the lack of spare bodies is due to modern (Chinese) manufacturing methods. Ruled by accountants, if x components are needed for x finished models that's what you get!...

Well, thanks to an overseas-based forum member, I now have a Brassmasters "Black Five" chassis to go under the hacked GBL body, so that is definitely going P4/S4, and thanks to another badly assembled eBay kit, I've even managed to salvage another Portescap RG4 to eventually drive the whole thing.

The whole business of not supplying bodies or indeed related components is particularly down to the costs of holding stock. In the old Margate era, every part for every engine was available, and that added up to a lot of stock sitting on the shelves doing not very much, particularly as models from that age were built to a more robust standard than today's Chinese production which, conversely, is easily damaged / wrecked, which should in fact mean that the need for parts is greater!

Look at spares suppliers such as East Kent Models: a great proportion of their spares stock has been on the shelves for years.

If you only supply the "consumables", then that saves a whole lot of money, which tends to please accountants and shareholders no end. It also tends to mean that you can get away with a minimum-standard after-sales section which only needs to stick to the "we don't supply body parts or chassis blocks" script.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

When I worked with the Chinese for Britains (admittedly back in the late 90s) they usually ran a 504 unit production run (which I believe they still do) in multiples if necessary, 1008, etc., plus a 2.5% overrun, i.e. about 12 units per 504.  IF their QC was kept up to scratch this was usually sufficient to deal with batch problems within a run.

Of course these days it may be that percentages are tighter, but the factories usually thought a small over-run was better than dropping numbers on an order.   However you are right in that the concept of 'spares' was not countenanced, unless the buyer was prepared to pay for them.  If we consider the logistics of shipping / storage / inventory / dealing with orders, etc., we can then see why spare parts are a diminishing thing.  Though I believe DJModels (Dave)  has promised that spares will be available for his locos. 

Edited by Adams442T

I found a couple of Deltics in WH Smith today, the finish on these was noticably better than my first purchase. The white window surrounds were applied better and the yellow lower band wasn't oversprayed onto the BR dark green.

However (there's always a down side!!) the front yellow warning panel had fuzzy edges (this was not bad on the original) and a horn was missing....This one could therefore look much better with full yellow ends as 55002 in 1981 condition, if I can get the D numbers off this is what I'll do with it. I have a couple of scratch built ETH jumpers that could come in use, and it will need a plated headcode. 

In the meantime here are some pics of the motorised GBL chassis with Lima 37 bogies. Still needs the bogies levelled, weight added and a bit of the chassis sides filed down to allow the bogies to turn on tight curves as there is slight fouling. It runs fine on the straight just now. Obviously the steps still need sorted, that may be a job for another day.

Hi! Trying to adapt  and secure the Lima 37 bogies to the GBL chassis.How have you secured the motor bogie to the modified chassis while retaining the screw fixing for the body?.A photo showing a plan view would be very useful please? Many thanks for any help with this. Regards.

When I worked with the Chinese for Britains (admittedly back in the late 90s) they usually ran a 504 unit production run (which I believe they still do) in multiples if necessary, 1008, etc., plus a 2.5% overrun...

I tended to call it the Peugeot Principle, i.e. 504, 1008, etc.

• RMweb Premium

When I worked with the Chinese for Britains (admittedly back in the late 90s) they usually ran a 504 unit production run (which I believe they still do) in multiples if necessary, 1008, etc.,

What's with this magic figure of 504?

I have heard others talking of small production runs (which model railways is) using 504 as the "unit" of production!

Back in my working days the companies that I dealt with had production runs in "round numbers" e.g. 100, 1000, 5000 etc.

Keith

When I've seen injection moulding (on How It's Made...) the process isn't usually making single mouldings, but big tools making several at once. I don't see how that helps mathematically, but it might! For example if you were making seven at at time you would have to run a machine just 72 times to make 504.

Hi! Trying to adapt  and secure the Lima 37 bogies to the GBL chassis.How have you secured the motor bogie to the modified chassis while retaining the screw fixing for the body?.A photo showing a plan view would be very useful please? Many thanks for any help with this. Regards.

To refit the screw at the powered bogie rotate the bogie sideways, this allows a thin screwdriver to access the screw through the Lima coupling. I'll post some photos on Wednesday once my kids are back at school.

Edited by tmz06003

Has anybody noticed that the Castle cast wheels don't actually fit on the track moulded onto the plinth. If the tyres are in contact with the rail on one side the gauge is too wide and the wheels on the other side rest on the flange. I happen to model in EM gauge and this Castle will sit on EM gauge track without the wheels falling between the rails as OO vehicles normally would.

• Like 1

It seems that our local branch of Asda has finally decided to stop stocking them. There were two Jinties left on the shelf at the beginning of last week and that seemed to be the last straw. I did consider buying one, but didn't want the LMS livery. I already have a B.R liveried example in my stock so no real point in buying to make alterations to.