Great British Locomotives

EddieB

As a follow on to post 2167, here is the virtually completed GBL 9f on a Bachmann loco chassis and Triang Brit tender chassis. I made a stab at the ATS battery box and conduit. The loco with ATS should have a small box/tube just behind the LH smoke deflector and I'll add this if I can find a way to fit it - it's tiny but has some thin wire coming from it which would be a nice finishing touch. The conduit should also run the whole length of the LH footplate and I'll add that if I get the box/tube sorted. I also discovered that 9f's did not have a plate on the buffer beam to protect the ATS , so that saved a job.

post-1659-0-34447200-1408361751_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-79971600-1408361782_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-63283300-1408361808_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've gone back to my source, and Weatheringman is correct. All 9F's allocated to WR were ATC fitted, but ER locos received AWS. Many 9f's received neither system. I see I do need to fit a bashplate.!! And the tank I fitted is,of course, an air cylinder.

If at first you dont succeed.....give up and let someone else do it....( H Simpson).

It appears ive got the hang of this now..use my mobile rather than ipad.....just for good measure included GBL coronation body renumbered etc..also Bachmann NRM compound.

Will update on  Black 5...as can be seen currently being butchered. The cylinders comet...with their chassis..

valve gear Hornby Duke caprotti attached to solid bar . From such a mish mash hopefuly a sawn will arise in due course....

post-23587-0-87031600-1408379364_thumb.jpg

post-23587-0-52641100-1408379378_thumb.jpg

post-23587-0-19015600-1408379393_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Going by the build quality of GBL stuff, they could do something equalliy high quality as a Class 16, 21, 84 and the others that never got as far as TOPS...[/font][/size]

The 84 would be interesting- although a model has been rumoured, they haven't got anything to chuck into their cloning machine except perhaps an early DC Kits whitemetal one.... Edited by 298

Asda at Astley Bridge in Bolton had a single Caste a few days ago which I duly bought. Either they are proving very popular, or the number they are stocking has dropped.

I have put six of the GBL locos on a high shelf in my new conservatory above the door.. From the distance that they get viewed from they actually look quite good and have been mistaken for real locomotives.

• Like 3

Just looking in my 1959 Locoshed book - the Class 11s were on the ER, NER and LMR regions - some were allocated in the Warrington area sheds - Speke Junction, Sutton Oak, and Springs Branch - so well away from Liverpool-Southport third rail system. The end cab windows were also much close to the cab sides for some curious reason too I remember.

Superb work! Looks amazing! Would love to create one myself, do you have any photos or could you tell us how you did it?

I'm afraid neither loco looks quite so good "in the flesh" so to speak... :-(

The 56XX was converted as per an old RM article from about 1963! except that I used a Triang Jinty chassis and a spare Lima 45XX pony truck rather than the Hornby Dublo 0-6-2T chassis of the original article.

I can't quite remember how I did the Aberdare, except that it's on a Lima 09 chassis (with the pony truck being the other spare 45XX pony truck I had!). New cabsides were made from plasticard as the originals weren't deep enough once the "step" in the CoT chassis had been removed. Likewise the firebox sides had to be extended downwards - IIRC I had to cover the gap with paper on one side in order to clear the 09's suppressor!

Not having had any of these at all I find that an up coming issue might be handy for some projects I would like to attempt so never having seen them in my local stores I was wondering whats the best way to go about ordering two or three copies of just one issue? thanks Steve

• Like 1

The castle has been hard to find I received my subscription copy and one from my local newsagents who keeps his only copy aside for me. 

I tried my local Asda and two branches of WH Smith's who normally stock them, none of them had any not sure if they sold out quickly or just didn't get any. My parents are on holiday in York and found one in WH Smith's there.

I've asked my local newsagents to order in 3 copies instead of 1 of the rest of the series to be on the safe side.

Not having had any of these at all I find that an up coming issue might be handy for some projects I would like to attempt so never having seen them in my local stores I was wondering whats the best way to go about ordering two or three copies of just one issue? thanks Steve

You can order back issues, allegedly, for cover price plus postage -details from the magazine

Quote:

Please order through your retailer or write to

Amercom (UK) Ltd 

4 Pullman Business Park

Pullman Way

Ringwood BH24 1HD

enclosing the cover price payment plus £0.50 for p&p per copy.

There is a Freepost address but that seems to be for subscriptions (it's pretty badly worded).

What locos are you after?

• Like 1

You can order back issues, allegedly, for cover price plus postage -details from the magazine

Quote:

Please order through your retailer or write to

Amercom (UK) Ltd 

4 Pullman Business Park

Pullman Way

Ringwood BH24 1HD

enclosing the cover price payment plus £0.50 for p&p per copy.

There is a Freepost address but that seems to be for subscriptions (it's pretty badly worded).

What locos are you after?

It's for the upcoming (if they don't cancel it) November issue with the T9

• Like 1

I would back that info up after the white spirit on my black five tender as a white substance started to appear in variable proportions where the old crest was.  At least it wasn't a Hornby super detail one that was effected.

What do you reckon is a safe method? I read earlier in the thread that methylated spirit and cotton buds are OK.

Hi Darrel,

I just dont believe the post office. I posted them to you first class (!) on the monday morning as I said on my way to the doctors.

I'll go back to workshop later on and run off another set and try again.

I actually addressed the envelope whilst reading the PM from you with your address.

Regards

Last Monday? Or this Monday? I'm waiting patiently for them didn't want to hassle you over them as your doing me such a big favour. Only thing I've had through the post this week is junk mail.

Hi,

Methylated Spirit will work albeit rather slowly. The dissadvantage is that being an alcohol M/S can and sometimes will also attack the underlying finish.

Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) / Isopropanol will act faster on a tampo printed graphic but of course it can also attack the underlying finish sooner due to its more active nature.

Both of these liquids should be used on a cotton bud and with great care with regard to the above.

A somewhat better solution (no pun intended) is nail varnish remover used by our Ladies. Please note the following though:

Use a conventional Acetone based version NOT an 'Acetone Free' type.

Use on a cotton bud and again do not rub excessively hard as its possible that the nail varnish remover might slightly soften the underlying surface finish - it will not do so as much as the alcohol based fluids and its effect, if any, on the underlying surface depends on the exact nature of the finish.

'Acetone Free' nail varnish remover almost always contains Isopropyl Alcohol in adition to other substances so will attack the underlying finish much more rapidly as above.

Do not use White Spirit and particularly NOT 'Turps Substitute' (these are not the same thing at all despite the crap on Wikipedia) as both will damage both the underlying finish and the plastic of the model.

Although not the method some might wish to use the best method of tampo printing removal is mechanical by abrasion.

Use a SHARP curved edged craft blade and gently scrape away the graphic until it is more or less removed.

Finish the area with very fine 'wet and dry' (at least 1200 grit) or VERY LIGHTLY with a fibreglass eraser. This will leave a slightly matt area.

Blend the surface area back in with gloss varnish and allow to dry.

Result - the perfect surface to apply a new decal on wether waterslide or 'pressfix'.

Hope the above is of some help - if anyone has any further questions on this subject please ask and i'll do my best to answer.

Regards

Excellent advice. Thank you.

• RMweb Premium

Did the 'swapsies' thread happen (had a quick look, couldn't see an obvious one...)

I've currently got the GW 2800, Schools and the Bulleid Light Pacific going spare - all untouched on their plinths in the plastic 'box', but without the magazine. The Compound, T9 and GW 4500 will aso be spare in a similar fashion when they arrive.

I'll be wanting Peaks, when they come out.