RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Hmm. Looks a bit lumpen. I had been thinking of a simple renumber and rename to Alfred the Great, but I'm not sure now. Those bogie wheels would have to go, the undercut on the boiler looks wrong, the moulding round the tender spectacle plate looks crude.

Show its age.

It is worth recalling that Hornby Railways did usea batch of "waxy" green plastic for the Halls and Britannias at one time....this colour looks a lot like that!

I do have a "waxy green finish" Britannia from c.1974/5 with Synchrosmoke. It runs quite well - I was hoping for a more modern body (particuarly the loco itself) but alas........... :no:

Good lord, that's the best badly done copy of a generally poor model. Quite happy to give that a miss. It very good in its execution of making worse the shortcomings of the original model. A better job could be done using a GBL 9F body on the Brit under gubbins.

Cheers

Shane.

I had hoped they would at least have used the 1980s rather than the 1960s version. It's another one that I would of got more if it was a better model. They were quite common in the area that I'm planning on modelling next (somewhere around Chester). As it is I think it'll be another one that will be left alone to gather dust on a shelf.

Might be handy for those that like to practice their weathering. Filthy late 1960s condition with no name or numberplates would cover up a multitude of sins. :no:

Jason.

• Like 1

Two Brits left in WHS Clacton on Sea this afternoon if it helps anyone - mine will be a static 'shed filler but as Dick said, it will need a lot of work and weathering! £8.99 though, still not a bad buy as a starting point!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could have got the 7MT in Smiths yesterday but thought its green maybe too late for the BR Blue period and left it alone shame it looks a stunning model from photos

The prototype is preserved, so could realistically be seen alongside BR Blue locos. I wouldn't exactly say its a stunning model and the decoration certainly would need improving on, even if only to paint the running board and area below the smokebox door black, but at the price its a good starting point for a bit of modelling.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

Er, I didn't. Was this a subscription delivery or in store?

I order from a local newsagent near where I work, so collect it on the Wednesday. Others have now reported the ring binder being attached.

I would chase your vendor/supplier

Only one Britannia in WH Smiths at Swanage and that has been reserved. Decided not to go on a 40 mile round trip to Poole to see if they have any as I already have a ready to run Oliver Cromwell. Although £8.99 is good value for the model and magazine it does not look like this is one of their best models. My main interest is steam so it looks like Locomotion will be my next purchase. I think the series has created a lot of interest and has encouraged people to get their paint brushes and tools out which is what this site is all about.

Happy to report that Sainsbury's were happy to refund for my shabby-looking Brit with the missing binder, and that Asda presented me a choice of two much better examples, both with binders (very flimsily) attached. Crisis averted!

Cheers all

Phil

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Been in Smiths today its gone but coincidentally the local model shop has the same thing from Hornby for 40 quid RTR is that one better than the GBL model

There have been several versions of the Britannia (and other class members) starting with the very basic early model produced by Tri-Ang, through to Tri-Ang Hornby then Hornby over the years and the models have gradually been refined up to the superb representation produced by current day Hornby.

You won't see the latter on offer at £40 though.

Variously, these models have been Loco Drive with flangeless centre drivers, Tender Drive (Basic models) then Tender Drive (Advanced detail) followed by tender drive (Super Detail) and finally a Loco drive version which is an outstanding RTR models in terms of detail and performance.

You'd really need to ask for a close look at the model you have seen offered at £40 to determine which 'generation' its from and decide for yourself if its a better prospect than the GBL offering. Have a look at the drive method, the wheels on the bogie and pony trucks (plastic or metal) and at details such as the handrails, moulded on earlier variants, but seperately fitted to varying degrees of refinement on later products.

Regards,

John 

Edit for syntax

Edited by Brit70053
  • Like 2

if anyone is looking for a binder from part 32, I have a spare binder - P.M me if you are interested.

I ordered two copies because I was going to make a standard 4-8-2, and a standard 4-4-2 :)

• Like 3

*sigh*

I buckled and bought the sole copy of issue 32 from my local Sainsbugs.....  Getting it home, a side-by-side with the tender drive R.063 shows impressive similarities. with both the loco body and tender, though there are some inconsistencies (have a look at the cab front windows, and the tender window frames!).  The colour is very similar to that used on the Hornby R.852, the Ivatt 2MT Mogul, which sports a similar curious shade of green!

Just a thought.  I've just detatched it from the base and looking at the "chassis" I wonder why they didn't just go with a moulded bit of plastic rather than the diecast metal, which makes the model unsuitable for background stock on a live railway.  (A job that the Dapol kit locos perform excellently)  I've just had a browse through ebay and a set of Hornby drivers and valve gear would come to something like 20 quid.  I'd almost be inclined to scratchbuild a chassis and perhaps even motorise it.....

It'd still be cheaper than all but the most fleabag Triang Brits on ebay!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

*sigh*

I buckled and bought the sole copy of issue 32 from my local Sainsbugs.....  Getting it home, a side-by-side with the tender drive R.063 shows impressive similarities. with both the loco body and tender, though there are some inconsistencies (have a look at the cab front windows, and the tender window frames!).  The colour is very similar to that used on the Hornby R.852, the Ivatt 2MT Mogul, which sports a similar curious shade of green!

Just a thought.  I've just detatched it from the base and looking at the "chassis" I wonder why they didn't just go with a moulded bit of plastic rather than the diecast metal, which makes the model unsuitable for background stock on a live railway.  (A job that the Dapol kit locos perform excellently)  I've just had a browse through ebay and a set of Hornby drivers and valve gear would come to something like 20 quid.  I'd almost be inclined to scratchbuild a chassis and perhaps even motorise it.....

It'd still be cheaper than all but the most fleabag Triang Brits on ebay!

Just apply a little Araldite to the bottom of the diecast 'wheel'  tyres - you only need to do one side.

Look !! - no short circuits.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Just apply a little Araldite to the bottom of the diecast 'wheel'  tyres - you only need to do one side.

Look !! - no short circuits.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

True, but with turning wheels, you can shunt dead locos, and the "valvegear" really does set my teeth on edge!

Also, If I took the Araldite route  I'd be inclined to insulate both sides. A 12v short is annoying enough, but if something went wrong on DCC?  Oh well, someting else to put on the prioritised "Things to do" list!

• Like 1

You can remove the valvegear and display her as a locomotive undergoing repair. Sheets could possibly be added to hide the less good parts.

I would be inclined to either isolate the rails ie a 'dead' section or saw the cast chassis in half lengthways and insulate with a strip of card or plastic.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Here is a work in progress look at my britannia. I have painted the green area around the smoke box that should be black. Also repainted the green with the correct shade. I have painted at so I didn't need to repaint the boiler bands. It still needs transfers added and weathering.

post-5114-0-96067500-1430650509_thumb.jpg

• Like 12