RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

WH Smiths in the centre of Bolton has one class 47. Seemed complete and undamaged, but not my bag so it was still there when I left. I am, however, interested in Locomotion and wondering what model they copied for it. Was there an Airfix kit in the right scale once upon a time?

They did make a kit of the Hackworth locomotive IIRC but that was about 1/32 scale.

They did make a kit of the Hackworth locomotive IIRC but that was about 1/32 scale.

It was a "motorised" model of the Trevithick Penydaren loco - in the Museum Model series, along with a model of a Newcomen beam engine.

This isn't going well. Leamington Sainburys was due it's one issue yesterday but still hasn't turned up. Warwick Sainsbury just gave me a blank look this morning. The issue that I really wanted and it's like the proverbial rocking horse poo. What a sorry shower o'shi*e.

Cheers

Shane

Managed to make a quick run to the shop and they were in. One is now fitted to a spare lima chassis. Easy to do but the buffers are glued in and a git to come out.

The colours are not too bad especially once weathered. Photos later once my phone arrives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There were two decent looking examples in the Chichester WHSmiths this afternoon, there is one left now.  For everyone's information this is what the components are when it is dismantled:

post-6910-0-60895100-1441125881_thumb.jpg

A respray is on the cards.....

• Like 2

Guest spet0114

Snagged the last (only?) one from WHS in Lowestoft this afternoon. Looks much better on the flesh, only some wayward buffers need adjustment. Definitely of Lima parentage - even has a representation of the pancake motor!

Have really enjoyed the fortnightly fun of hunting down each issue of this series, a bit sad it's all coming to an end.

Incidentally, anyone after a C class?

• Like 2

Well, issue 40 didn't turn up at WHSmiths at Warminster today, they say it might be on tomorrows delivery. They did ring through to the Trowbridge branch, but no stock there either.

Checked Sainsburys and ASDA at Frome without success.

Looks like I will be reliant on my swapsie partner for this one!

I noticed that the bogie frames on the Type 4 have the roots for couplings, like they are direct copies of original parts. That makes me think that I can reuse those frames and not just have to buy a full chassis, I can get parts

Am I right at all?

• Like 1

Managed to get the only example  in ASDA Tilehurst. wasnt going to bother but it does look better in the flesh. Just got to figuire out what to do with it now.

Maybe a cpuole of Hornby motor bogies is called for? 

• Like 1

This question has exercised minds and memories on here for some time Jenny and the only definitive answer so far is "Nobody Knows"

Best speculation is that it has been scaled down from Bachmann's 'O' gauge production in pewter.

I can certainly say I've never seen or heard of an Airfix or Kitmaster 'OO' kit of Locomotion and I was an avid builder(?) of the Airfix

railway models at the height of their popularity during my misspent youth.

The GBL production could ironically prove to be a first in 1:76, even if it can't be described as RTR.

Mine will possibly find a place on a plinth on a platform, reminiscent of the times when 'LOCOMOTION' stood on Darlington Bank Top Station in the company of 'DERWENT' IIRC.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to this one?

Regards,

John

Edit for 'case' correction

could be classed as Ready To Roll   lol

• RMweb Premium

Called at the Newsagents this morning, no sign of Issue 41 which others have variously been told could be due today or on the 9th. As they weren't busy, they contacted the wholesaler who confirmed Locomotion is expected on the 9th September and that this will be the final part in the series, with the rejoinder "Please advise the customer".

No mention of an Issue 42.

Looks like the Fat Lady is back stage warming up.

Regards,

John

Not with a solid cast chassis and wheelset it couldn't. :no:

There must be a way of cobbling together four Hackworth wheels, though? If you can buy scale 4ft disc wheels from AGW, then might this not give you a start to layer your own detail on the faces? The chassis would be very basic, with no suspension as such.....

As mentioned above, this all presupposes that the thing comes out as 1:76 to begin with.......  :jester:

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

I noticed that the bogie frames on the Type 4 have the roots for couplings, like they are direct copies of original parts. That makes me think that I can reuse those frames and not just have to buy a full chassis, I can get parts

Am I right at all?

Possibly. The tool making process is to copy the model, so even features that are model only rather than prototypical get copied. Look at how the two bogies have been copied, revealed in the photograph in post 6014. If there was any concern for economy of effort, only the simpler one requiring less material to make(unpowered) needed to be scanned to create the CAD, and then two identical tools cut. (Which tells us that the process is so cheap, that no thought need be given to economy!)

What material was used for the exterior bogie frame in the GBL product? If metal - rather than plastic per Lima - that may make them more difficult to use.

Plastic bogie frames (as is the fuel tank/battery box mouldings glued to the metal chassis).The point where the coupling sits is cut short with just the small clip that where the coupling hook locates. The small spigot on the underside of the bogie where the coupling would be is for fitting snowploughs.

• RMweb Premium

Possibly. The tool making process is to copy the model, so even features that are model only rather than prototypical get copied. Look at how the two bogies have been copied, revealed in the photograph in post 6014. If there was any concern for economy of effort, only the simpler one requiring less material to make(unpowered) needed to be scanned to create the CAD, and then two identical tools cut. (Which tells us that the process is so cheap, that no thought need be given to economy!)

I would argue that all this tells you is that no thought *was* given to economy.