Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I did a little bit more fettling in a spare moment today. I had to remove the central lip at the bottom of the cab front (it's obvious what I mean when you look at a dismantled cab), because it hit the wires to the tender and rode up a bit. The alternative would be to rewire the chassis, making a new wire run. I also went a bit brutal with the mini grinder, really clearing out the excess bits of footplate inside the splashers. With hindsight, it would probably be easier to remove the splashers, file the bits with some finesse (!!), and then stick them back on. What I've done isn't pretty, but it works and it's all hidden once the boiler and cab are on. I did cut a little way into the cab footplate section, to clear the frames, but this will be hardly noticeable when finished.

One thing I should say is that the 4F chassis needs some weight to overcome the friction from the pick-ups. The weight is in the 4F boiler, and so the same thing will be required in the C Class boiler. If you stick the boiler on, don't forget to put the weight in first! As for securing the body to the chassis, I'll probably use a very complicated and technical method that has worked for me many times in the past. It's called Blu-Tack.

Sarah, I've just had a quick go with a Dean Goods chassis. 34(etc) is correct, I'm afraid. It's too short at the firebox end. It would be suitable for a conversion to a loco that has a shorter centre to firebox wheelbase, with longer cab splashers.

I clocked the 'C Class' in the newsagent on Monday, and then had almost forgotten about it. Until I picked up a secondhand Bachmann C this morning in The Hobby Box, Uckfield for what I considered a bargain at £60.

Is it overly difficult to swap the GBL partwork body for the Bachmann one?

• Like 1

I clocked the 'C Class' in the newsagent on Monday, and then had almost forgotten about it. Until I picked up a secondhand Bachmann C this morning in The Hobby Box, Uckfield for what I considered a bargain at £60.

Is it overly difficult to swap the GBL partwork body for the Bachmann one?

The GBL body is unlikely to be a straight swap, as the running plate of the GBL model has six slots for the wheels, but no space for the motor to pass through into the boiler. The livery on the GBL model is also highly simplified from the Bachmann SECR-liveried model, so to be honest, if you've got the Bachmann model, I'd suggest keeping it in one piece!

The GBL body is unlikely to be a straight swap, as the running plate of the GBL model has six slots for the wheels, but no space for the motor to pass through into the boiler. The livery on the GBL model is also highly simplified from the Bachmann SECR-liveried model, so to be honest, if you've got the Bachmann model, I'd suggest keeping it in one piece!

Thanks. The Bachmann model I picked up this morning is about 10 years too late for my intended period, so wondered if this might be an easy way around.

No sign yet on the GBL website of what is to follow the Standard Class 4 . The next model is usually posted on the website on the Friday of the week in which a magazine is in the shops. Are we reaching the end, is it time to get concerned? Still a few listed models not yet issued such as J39, N, Royal Scot and Britannia.

Hope they are just bit slow but we shall see.

I have been looking up some info on "C" Class 592.

One thing that I think has not been mentioned anywhere, is that the loco is Right Hand Drive.

The Airfix 3F chassis also needs the centre and front sandboxes on each side removing!

Edited by Sarahagain

I have been looking up some info on "C" Class 592.

One thing that I think has not been mentioned anywhere, is that the loco is Right Hand Drive.

The Airfix 3F chassis also needs the centre and front sandbox removing!

All 'proper' locomotives are right hand drive!

(Ducks for cover!)

• Like 1

I'd forgotten (how?) the 'copy an existing model' premise.

I do wonder at what pricing point 'new' models would have to be pitched. Far above 'casual or impulse purchase' I suspect, looking at die-cast F1 cars and similar.

Would there be a business case at £35? Probably not...  also there isn't the tradition of collecting static models as there is with cars, aircraft and boats.

GBL has been a pretty unique series, can't remember having seen anything quite like it before.  Since  spare loco bodies/tenders aren't normally available as spare parts from the manufacturers (with Hornby, say anything after Margate production) GBL has opened the door to many new projects. Best make the most of it while it's still there! Hope it goes on a while.

This thread has become a great modelling community in it's own right as well.

I was in W H Smiths in Colchester today and they surprisingly had 3 C class left, they all looked ok as far as I could see.  Yup, I did buy another one so now there's 2.

Cheers.

Edited by railroadbill

It gave me an interest I'd been ignoring for years.

I'm not very good yet, but I'm enjoying learning. And at these prices if you make a complete cock up - c'est la vie.

Just about to have a third go at the cross tube box on a T9. Trickier than it looks (for me at any rate).

One thing I will say for GBL is that when you get the locos in primer, the moulding is crisp and good - a compromise in design perhaps, but nicely made.

• RMweb Premium

Accepting that, at least so far as the GBL Series goes, any Loco produced must be based on an existing RTR model, may I ask an idle question, which may have passed through the minds of others judging by recent posts.

Does anyone, The Weatheringman is in mind, know if it would have been possible to produce GBL type models based for instance on built up whitemetal/ brass kits in the same way ?

I'm just interested to better understand  why only RTR models can form the basis of GBL output, since plastic isn't the exclusive material used in construction of some of the original superstructures (metal boilers and running plates on some of them).

Is initial cost of purchase of a basis model to be copied a major consideration for the producer/ publisher?  I appreciate that some of the more dated RTR originals will have been inexpensive as a basic production investment, especially from the 'pre owned ' market, but some of the more recent and accurate models, D11, T9, and C Class will (should) have been as pricey as some kit builds I've seen offered at swapmeets etc

Apologies if this has been covered previously, this thread has - err- several pages to it now.

Regards,

John

The Airfix 3F chassis also needs the centre and front sandboxes on each side removing!

You know, I'd actually managed to overlook that. Thank you. It's amazing when you can't see what's right in front of you!

As the Fowler tender chassis is too short (although the wheelbase is right), I've cut out the centre of the GBL tender chassis to take the motor drive. It fits nicely. I've also cut the hole in the tender top to clear the drive. I didn't have to take out as much as I originally estimated. Now I just need to mount the motor drive properly, make a new run for the wires (which will be shortened) and solder them back on to the motor. Then there's the loco to finish off, and the cosmetic details, such as filing off the handrails and replacing them. Oh, and those sandboxes!

Turning to the range in general, I understand the need for an original model to copy. However, would it be possible to make the tooling from a kit-built loco? 

I would suspect that the problem is acquiring a decent kit built locomotive. It would presumably have to be from a plastic or white metal kit rather than an etched brass one on cost grounds.

Edited by Il Grifone

Does anyone have a Midland Compound or Butler Henderson that they'd be willing to swap for a T9?

Cheers

Adrian

I've got a Compound, happy to swap. Will be a couple of days, as it's in the loft and we're having work done and the house is in chaos! PM me your address.

Just noticed that this issue represents a full year of locomotives. Which isn't bad, as people have been predicting its demise since about Issue 3. So far only one 'promised' loco has been lost, and that was Locomotion.

So there may be hope for a King Arthur and a Terrier yet!