Great British Locomotives

EddieB

At the risk of being accused of sounding like a broken record I have a regular order with my local post office (the only one surviving out of four extant in 2001!) and most do not fit in my layout (1960s South Yorks era). "Rocket" and the BR Standard Class "4" will immedately be for sale. I can also order (with the minimum three weeks) in advance of GBL forthcoming items, extra ones if anyone is really stuck. Basic cost plus RM 2nd Class medium Parcel rate of £5.20 (within UK rate) is all I ask. Please pm me if interested. Clearly there is vast difference in attitude to potential GBL customers from some retailers. Regards Malcolm

A3 virtually ready to return to Gateshead in typically scruffy condition. I used Modelmates dye spray and have overdone it. But with some Tamiya weathering powder, I'll do a bit of tidying up .As usual, photos are cruel beasts.

post-1659-0-20549800-1422804674_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Three or four of that type, by the look of this contemporary (public domain) picture.

attachicon.gifFirst_passenger_railway_1830.jpg

You'd need to scratch build the other types, though the coach frames might suit.

Interesting thought on looking at those lithographs. The Triang model represents Rocket in its Rainhill trials condition but it was apparently rebuilt in to the form shown for the opening of the Liverpool and Manchester (with the less inclined cylinders and smokebox that it still retains). So the Triang model (and the full size replicas) have an anachronistic combination of Rainhill Trials Rocket pulling L&M carriages. 

As posted earlier, I've ordered my Rocket from my local newsagent.

Thoughts are, to scrap the loco, keep the tender (maybe) and the coach. The loco can be replaced by the Airfix/Dapol version, this not being distorted to fit around the Triang mechanism. As to motorising? Probably not. I may scratchbuild a replica open coache as per the NRM ones to go with it.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I've been playing with a 3D printer, the result was this strange green thing.

post-6821-0-58897400-1422811549_thumb.jpg

This is what it's for.

post-6821-0-33533900-1422811553_thumb.jpg

The two pillars under the tender have been removed.

The old screws are resued.

post-6821-0-98958600-1422811557_thumb.jpg

The 16mm wheels are from Rmford. Pieces of plastic need to be glued across the axle openings to retain the wheels.

On the track.

post-6821-0-91723500-1422811561_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is Rocket likely to be worth buying as presumably its going to be a copy of the distorted Triang original.

Oh I don't know it might be fun and will be interesting to see if it can be motorized with a few caldron wagons it might make a nice micro layout of a north east coal mine or some thing like that.

I think most modellers have their eye on the coach, and the tender perhaps as a wagon of the period.

Regarding Rocket I would like to recreate the scene in the lithograph I put up a few days ago. I'm not too worried by dimensional accuracy so long as it looks right, but what concerns me is that in GBL style the driving wheels and motion will be cast in one piece, which will make changing the cylinder angle much harder, so those parts may come from a Dapol kit. From what I recall the loco was in a state of almost constant modification when in service.

Does anyone know of any decent scaled drawings, as opposed to the drawings from Rainhill?

Now there's a thought - a Rainhill diorama...

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking myself of a Diorama. I was also thinking of making a 'third class' carriage by putting a pair of the tender bodies facing each other on a wagon chassis. I understand from some literature that some of the early ones had neither doors nor seats, not that it would be difficult to add them.

Well I've had a good think about it and I'll do my Rocket in its un-rebuilt streamlined condition with corridor tender so if any one has any good pictures especially with the double chimney and smoke deflectors I'd be very grateful.

Steve

• Like 1

There's a drawing or Rocket here with a scale. The boiler diameter measures about 3' 6" which will (just) fit between a pair of 00 wheels*. The head-on photo looks to be about 4 feet however, so accuracy may be questionable. I doubt the original drawings are still around, but early 19th century drawings did tend to be approximate and adjusted as necessary during construction.

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/centenary/home/icons/stephensonsrocket.aspx

Scrolling down, there's a more detailed one here along with some ideas for more rolling stock (on the stamps).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stephenson+rocket&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q3TPVPbHH8Xvar7egcgP&ved=0CEAQ7Ak&biw=1258&bih=736#imgdii=_&imgrc=G1iBsPjo4yCAIM%253A%3Bxzg5jlhSY0vErM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.myhobbystore.co.uk%252Fproduct_images%252Flarge%252F1500.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.myhobbystore.co.uk%252Fproduct%252F17344%252Fstephensons-rocket-lo958%3B350%3B350

EDIT Found this which gives the diameter as 3' 4" (presumably internal), which, plus plate thickness and lagging, would give something just over 3' 6".

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://locodriver.co.uk/Vol07/Part15/02/img5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://locodriver.co.uk/Vol07/Part15/02/index.html&h=479&w=824&tbnid=g4n2KvFFmx0e-M:&zoom=1&docid=U58LAJynDPfJzM&ei=knrPVPHfAYyt7Aar8YGAAQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CIQBEDMoVjBW

Also this which confirms she had been rebuilt before the opening of the L & M. If there was mystery fifty years on, we have little hope of clearing it up now.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/scientific-american/sup3/images/FIG-1-THE-ROCKET-1829-THE-ROCKET-1830.png&imgrefurl=http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/scientific-american/sup3/Links-In-The-History-Of-The-Locomotive.html&h=701&w=500&tbnid=jtPc6H9E-dTVqM:&zoom=1&docid=CziFbSePvS4V9M&ei=knrPVPHfAYyt7Aar8YGAAQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CIABEDMoUjBS

* Tri-ang wheels are closer together than this, of course, and 3' 6" scale would be a tight fit.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Regarding Rocket I would like to recreate the scene in the lithograph I put up a few days ago. I'm not too worried by dimensional accuracy so long as it looks right, but what concerns me is that in GBL style the driving wheels and motion will be cast in one piece, which will make changing the cylinder angle much harder, so those parts may come from a Dapol kit. From what I recall the loco was in a state of almost constant modification when in service.

Does anyone know of any decent scaled drawings, as opposed to the drawings from Rainhill?

Now there's a thought - a Rainhill diorama...

pm'd you.

As posted earlier, I've ordered my Rocket from my local newsagent.

Thoughts are, to scrap the loco, keep the tender (maybe) and the coach. The loco can be replaced by the Airfix/Dapol version, this not being distorted to fit around the Triang mechanism. As to motorising? Probably not. I may scratchbuild a replica open coache as per the NRM ones to go with it.

Stewart

:no: Well I'm going to try and get a second one from GBL, but as a subscriber still have no Intercity 125 (no17), No 21 King Edward II or just to rub salt in no Cali Single 123.

But Hooray, No 24 Peak arrived on Saturday !

The help line is useless, always the same answer, "out of stock awaiting delivery from supplier"

My guess is they just look on the shelf every time they get a back order and send one out if they have one in stock, their so called database does nothing for customer loyalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These days I'm just a collector, but was a Toolmaker with Corgi Toys many years ago, interestingly my Brother redesigned the drive train on Scalextrick Cars when he worked for them in Havant.

My Dad built working model steam Locos, in fact even had a Victorian steam model layout when I was a lad, sadly he never let us touch them! (probably a good thing)

Well thanks to this thread I've found RM, and its of great interest, but sadly wont be remodeling any of my models, as my hands are no longer steady enough.

Paul

• Like 5

I may scratchbuild a replica open coache as per the NRM ones to go with it.

Stewart

Possibly cheaper/easier to rebuild on a secondhand wagon underframe?

The two second class(?) 'coaches' which worked with PLANET when it visited the Great Central a few years ago looked as if they were built on BR Banana Van (or similar) underframes.

I was thinking myself of a Diorama. I was also thinking of making a 'third class' carriage by putting a pair of the tender bodies facing each other on a wagon chassis. I understand from some literature that some of the early ones had neither doors nor seats, not that it would be difficult to add them.

I don't know if it's still available,but many years ago MOSI sold cut-out 3d dioramas of the opening of Liverpool Street station.I have one back at my parents' house, unfortunately badly faded, but I've often thought it could be used to make an interesting model if the front-back distance was increased to allow room for at least one 00 track and maybe have my father's Triang Rocket shuttling back and forth!

• Like 2

The two second class(?) 'coaches' which worked with PLANET when it visited the Great Central a few years ago looked as if they were built on BR Banana Van (or similar) underframes.

Why...? Had the packaging securing screws been over-tightened..?