Great British Locomotives

EddieB

HST looks rather flat sided, like the original Hornby train set one but should be an easy one for those with old motor bogies to have a play with if inclined.  Interestingly, Hornby's home page had the super detailed version listed at £200 and with no Railroad range ones around these days, would be a cheap alternative.

I wonder how many people (from the intended market at least) will buy two copies instead of one?  Could be a cause of frustration when it comes to buying them.

Issue 17 was "supposed" to have been the Sulzar Peaks.  A shame, would haveliked to have had a couple of these as static models.  If anything else follows, probably back to steam outline.

Shame about the Peak, I was looking forward to modelling a certain loco currently being enveloped in undergrowth in SW Leicestershire. Perhaps the GBL team realised the Peak wasn't a "Great" locomotive...?

As for the HST Power Cars, the last time I looked you could get a pair of the early B/G Power Cars from a Swapmeet for £15, which is evidently more cost effective than bothering to do anything with the GBL model. Perhaps a competition to do something worthwhile with the Chinese clone might be in order...

Wasn't that 37 one of the many special editions that Lima did - or am I thinking of a Class 47?

It was quite a sought after limited edition... until a stack of spare bodies were discovered in the warehouse, and changers tried their luck with selling mint locos but in the wrong box.

Wasn't that 37 one of the many special editions that Lima did - or am I thinking of a Class 47?

Be an easy redecoration in anycase, renumber it 37999.  Had a Scalextric Rover 3500 when I was younger, had a flashing light and a crude (probably down to the speaker) siren.  Now, if one of those could be found at a swopmeet - even if the car itself is broken - you could have fun with that and with basic electronics, could be easily turned to DCC I'd guess (some "person of questionable parentage" stole the innards out of mine when he came to visit my brother, could never understand why).

I just hope that saville didn't do the voice overs in that advert or anything (no sound coming through this end).

They seem to have

To me, the sound seems to be a constant change of the horn from High tone/Low tone/High tone/Low tone etc..., so I wonder if Legomanbiffo would do a special sound chip for it, based off of the one for the 37/0 (37 093 being used, if I remember correctly). That light might be a bit out of gauge though!

Not sure, but don't think it is Saville. As to sound, I'm not sure what is causing that. Is the sound up on the embedded video as well as the computer?

Edited by 69843

Rowan - really, no-one that I've seen has written anything to make you withdraw! Only a slight difference of opinion, pretty politely worded.

People seem to be being very sensitive at the moment. I don't think they need to be, because apart from that thread just about everybody is supportive, or has a validly different point of view. If you think they're wrong - put your case.

Where is the announcement of the HST, plz?

I spent the morning making a modelling workbench and actually produced a pair of cabsides for my Star conversion. Pretty simple (and crude) but that gave me great pleasure. I know that others could have done better, but then so will I, one day.

In case you've not seen it the announcement was on the official GBL site. I'm sure I'll find a use for a couple, I've still got the original Hornby HST train pack so at least they will all match if nothing else.

My problem with the original Hornby model was the rake of the front cab, the angle doesn't seem correct.

As for the peak, I realise it's been mentioned on this site numerous times but I've never seen it listed on any of the GBL publications. Anyone know where this addition to the lists originated from? I could definitely use a few of them so my fingers are still crossed. Only other diesel I was aware of was the Western.

Regards

Tony.

As for the peak, I realise it's been mentioned on this site numerous times but I've never seen it listed on any of the GBL publications. Anyone know where this addition to the lists originated from? I could definitely use a few of them so my fingers are still crossed. Only other diesel I was aware of was the Western.

Tony - the first mention is from Butler Henderson in Post #118 - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/page-5

He mentions that it comes from another forum - perhaps he could let us know, as I've based all my timelines on that list.

It was quite a sought after limited edition... until a stack of spare bodies were discovered in the warehouse, and changers tried their luck with selling mint locos but in the wrong box.

I remember going into Betties many years ago in Birmingham and they was selling the loco bodies for £2.50!

• Like 1

Come to think of it, don't Maplins do these electronic project kits for sirens?  For a vastly inflated price (which goes towards tax evasion avoidance) one could do a siren and one could probably get flashing LEDs on their own now for such a project.

My model railway club have a lima police 37 modified with blue flashing lights it is not DCC but had some electrical thing fitted inside it that kept the light flashing for a while after the train had stopped. We didn't fit a siren though I suspect if we had it would have driven us insane over 2 days at an exhibition. And we would probably have got lynched by whoever was on the layout next to us.

• Like 1

Next issue 17 announced as the HST, looks disappointingly like the old Hornby model.

Yep, that's the old Hornby HST, which is a disappointment but not unexpected.

Does not bode well for the Peak then. Mainline tooling is favourite for this one then, but I hope not!

Cheers

Shane

Dear all just pure speculation...as locomotion was.cancelled for all the reasons mentioned...then an alternative found in the shape of butler Henderson... Moving it from its scheduled publication date.....ok now a hst ...not one of my favourites not least for the withdrawal of my beloved peaks...but with the glow that nostalgia brings.....warming to them.....as to this series there are less and less on sale.

In short lets enjoy them for I fear this series will succumb to the u boat and bugs in plastic the same way our favourite locos gave way to their successors.. Lastly to all that have adapted, motorised or just worked on these models please share your efforts, this has been the main reason I have followed this topic.

It isn't pure speculation as each magazine has a list of forthcoming locomotives, and some have not yet appeared, but the only definite cancellation is Locomotion.

The original list (Issue 1)

A4 (published)

Princess Coronation (published)

A3 (published)

Schools (published)

GWR City (published)

9F (published)

Locomotion (cancelled)

Deltic (published)

Black 5 (published)

28xx (published)

West Country (published as Battle of Britain)

Rocket (not yet published, not cancelled)

Western (not yet published)

Castle (published)

4MT (published)

SR N (not yet published)

Princess (not yet published)

LNER J39 (not yet published)

In the slipsheet included in the first magazine:

Midland Compound (published)

K3 (published)

That was all that was promised in the first issue. The list was identical until issue 10. Of 19 locomotives 14 have been published, one has been cancelled and five are still awaited.

In Issue 10

Locomotion disappeared.

GWR King appeared (not published)

Inter City 125 appeared (published)

Jinty appeared (published)

In Issue 11

LSWR T9 appeared (not published)

There have been no changes since. Of the four 'additional' locos two have been published and two are awaited.

We have had 16 locos in total, and if all promises were to be fulfilled we would have a series, so far, of 23.

The Peak has never been mentioned in the magazine or any other publicity, it only appears in Butler Henderson's list, but then so did the T9 at the time, and that has now made its way onto the official list - with all the caveats that involves.

Clearly most of the promised locos have arrived, some at quite short notice. There seems to be a disjoint between the publicity materials and the actuality which I can't explain.

Perhaps Butler Henderson could give us the provenance of his list. He says in his post that it came from another forum, but doesn't say which one.

• RMweb Gold

I have motorised my compound using the Hornby Railroad chassis, would there be any interest in me posting a description and pictures of this project?

Steve

Okay, I have never done this before so it may go awry?

Here are my notes on motorising the GBL Compound using a Hornby Railroad chassis. Before I start I make no excuse for the fact that this is a compromise. The loco and tender chassis wheelbases are slightly out dimensionally and the GBL body also has issues but this intended as a layout loco and so I can live with these. In fact, this is the most scrutiny it will receive!

Starting with the loco, it breaks down into a number of components already well documented previously, the footplate needs extensive modification below. This shows the view from above and below and a before and after. There are a number of mounting lugs on the GBL footplate! these need to be sawn off and retained for later.

The side frame extensions above the front bogie also need to be gapped to accommodate the cylinder stretcher on the chassis. The slot in the footplate will need to be wide enough to enable the stretcher to sit flush with the underside of the footplate.

At the other end of things under the cab, there needs to be a slot cut to accommodate the mounting tab on the Hornby chassis.

The boiler needs to be adapted to accommodate the can motor. As shown. There is also plenty of space to add some extra weight in the smoke box for adhesion.

Once the superstructure has been re assembled the mounting lug under the GBL boiler does not line up with the mounting hole in the chassis! This will require a new hole to be tapped into the boiler to enable a new mounting screw to be fitted.

Probably the most awkward task is to craft new cylinders from the GBL originals. They need to be trimmed to length and a large amount of plastic removed from the back to enable them to be mounted on the Chassis mouldings without fouling the piston rods.

Tender to follow!

Steve

post-660-0-33190700-1410560452_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-94721700-1410560692_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-96873200-1410560704_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-70517400-1410560814_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-67559400-1410561354_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-49224800-1410561363_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-34165700-1410561382_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-28750600-1410561594_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

GBL Compound project part 2!

The Hornby loco and tender chassis are permanently coupled and I didn't fancy messing around with the wiring so resolved to keep them together. The plastic moulding holding the wheels is mounted in a metal casting and the wiring to the loco runs through a hole in the casting. The only way to separate the plastic from the casting is to cut a slot in the casting as marked and slide the wiring out.

On the plastic moulding holding the wheels, there are two raised mouldings at the front. These need to be trimmed off to enable the tender to sit at the right height.

The tender chassis carries the DCC socket so once the GBL tender has been taken apart the underframe/base plate moulding needs to be adapted to accommodate the socket. Remove the pin at the front of the tender (forms part of the connection to the loco). Cut of the mounting lugs, retain and repositioned to support the Hornby wheel moulding - or you can use those retained from the loco. There is some filing needed to get the tender to the correct height.

Use one of the holes in the Hornby chassis moulding and tap a hole for a new mounting screw towards the rear of the tender. The draw bar can be fitted to existing mounting on the Hornby chassis moulding and a hole tapped in the tender top to fit to a bolt to retain the tender and draw bar.

Finally the finished product! Obviously it is not as good as the Bachmann version, but it is a significant improvement over the Hornby Railroad offering.

Happy to elaborate on this process if anything is not very clear?

Steve

post-660-0-71830100-1410562310_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-31592500-1410562585_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-30660000-1410562596_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-59074700-1410562923_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

You've done a fantastic job as I far as I can see Sir! This is my next project after "Lima-rising" the GBL Deltic (which looks minor in comparison!). From your very  comprehensive notes it looks an ardous task.! I presume that all the Hornby 2P models are identical chassis & motor-wise (ie there aren't all any that I shouldn't avoid second-hand!). I may well be picking your brains in future! A 1000 (no pun inteneded) thanks for putting all this info on here. Regards Malcolm

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments Malcolm.

There is a lot of cutting involved on the footplate moulding and I was concerned about the integrity, but once the loco is reassembled and everything glued in place it seems okay. TBH the hardest part if "hollowing out the cylinder mouldings to fit the chassis. There is a lot of material to remove and they are quite small. Making it very fiddly and very painful when the Dremel router bit slips off the moulding!

Another suggestion; if you are going to be handling components extensively and you don't plan to keep the GBL livery, it is worth using masking tape to protect the existing paint finish.

I am not sure about the 2p chassis, I have a couple of Airfix tender drive originals, so can take a look if that would be useful?

Steve

• Like 1

I'm in a motor caravan in the middle of a field at the moment on my hols trying to send this via mobile phone. Compound motorising details are great. So far I've dismantled 3 compounds cut off handrails etc and drilled holes for brass handrail knobs. 2 boilers intended for 7fs 1 fine day but 1 will be compound.

Handrails off castle body together with chimney new brass one to be fitted. Been running old airfix castle to encourage me.

Bought 4mt edition. Already have wrenn spare 4mt body plus comet chassis kit in stash but tempted to use GBL one.

So getting hooked on GBL prob go for butler Henderson if it comes out - great thread, full of ideas.

Cheers bill

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 4

Thanks for your comments Malcolm.

There is a lot of cutting involved on the footplate moulding and I was concerned about the integrity, but once the loco is reassembled and everything glued in place it seems okay. TBH the hardest part if "hollowing out the cylinder mouldings to fit the chassis. There is a lot of material to remove and they are quite small. Making it very fiddly and very painful when the Dremel router bit slips off the moulding!

Another suggestion; if you are going to be handling components extensively and you don't plan to keep the GBL livery, it is worth using masking tape to protect the existing paint finish.

I am not sure about the 2p chassis, I have a couple of Airfix tender drive originals, so can take a look if that would be useful?

Steve

Thanks for very useful advice and more punishing schedules(!) Steve. Would it be feasible to remove the GBL cylinders and transplant the Hornby ones instead? (or would that disrupt the dimensional inaccuracies further!) Thanks malcolm. Oh if you can check your Arifrfix ones sometime, that would be helpful.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for very useful advice and more punishing schedules(!) Steve. Would it be feasible to remove the GBL cylinders and transplant the Hornby ones instead? (or would that disrupt the dimensional inaccuracies further!) Thanks malcolm. Oh if you can check your Arifrfix ones sometime, that would be helpful.

Malcolm,

I think I understand your question....the challenges are as follows:

The Hornby compound has the rear of the cylinders, with slide bars, cross heads etc attached to the stretcher on the chassis. But the cylinder covers/ front of the cylinders are on the body moulding and attached to the footplate.

On the GBL the cylinders are a one piece moulding with the valve gear and attached to the footplate in lugs and to the Muzak chassis casting.

Your choices, as I see them:

1. Carefully remove the cylinder covers from the Hornby body moulding and glue them to the cylinders - probably easiest

2. Take the GBL cylinder mouldings snip off the slide bars, cross head, etc and then trim them to fit the Hornby chassis my preferred option as I intended to keep the Loco in the GBL livery.

3. Fashion new cylinders, stretcher and associated valve gear using Comet components or similar - more involved and expensive

If I were repainting the loco, I may have gone for the first option.

Airfix 2p test fit to follow, but this will need you to add valve gear, coupling rods, etc....

Did I get the right end of the stick?

Steve

Edited by sjp23480