Great British Locomotives

EddieB

OK point taken thanks every one I can see the appeal now it makes sense if you have the bits or access to parts at a good price also I realize that if you were going P4 you would be making your own chassis any way. I guess its a case of looking at the costing to see if its a viable proposition. Lets just hope they keep them going for a while.

• Like 2

I don't disagree (with Londontram) in the slightest. Rather like Rob and his photos (but in a different way) I'm not really a 'modeller' in the eyes of some, I suspect, because I don't have, and never plan to have a working layout. I want to make models of locomotives, static, pure and simple. And other bits of the scene like wagons and eventually coaches, to make small dioramas.

So for me, the GBL series is a gods-send because I can repaint them, re-chassis them (I'm about to try a Comet chassis under a GBL Schools body) and stick them on a shelf to look at with satisfaction.

Surely we all count?

>edit<

Reply to Londontram - missed several new posts...

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 1

I'll most likely bring the wrath of this forum down on my head. now don't get me wrong I very much admire and respect the efforts to Motorize the GBL models but It dose beg the question in some cases why?

As Chris Bonington is reputed to have said when asked why he climbed a mountain: "Because it's there."

....why go to all the work fitting body's to RTR chassis of the same type/class, why not just buy the RTR one in the first place like the GBL 4MT tank and the Bachmann RTR one aren't you just destroying one just to create another exactly the same.

Now lets sit back and watch how many people instead of answering my question constructively just rush lemming like to hit the disagree button

But they won't be "exactly the same". Every engine is different, and any mistakes made by an individual modeller will be different to other people's mistakes, and that's what makes "modelling".

In my case, I won't be using existing RTR chassis, but trying to plonk the bodyshell (suitably upgraded) onto a Comet chassis, built to P4.

• Like 2

has anyone thought of the possibilities of using the butler Henderson to make some of the GC 4-6-0 types. The B2 is an obvious one as it pretty much looks like a stretched d11.

Appearance is similar, but boiler diameters are certainly different for a start......

I can see Londontram's point in that it could be cheaper and much easier to just use the original model that each GBL model is based on.

To me though they have been a reasonably cheap source of bodies and tenders. Okay they might not all be to the same standard as some of the newer top of the range products, but some of them are not far off. The Jinty for example. With a bit of detailing and particularly replacement handrails and buffers they should come up to scratch. Certainly good enough for my standards. They work out much cheaper than buying spare bodies from ebay, many of which are often more than £20 for the equivalent body.

I'm one of those that has a large selection of parts such as Gibson wheels, Comet chassis, chimneys, domes, buffers, etc. all bought cheap on ebay or at exhibitions for future projects. However most of the GBL models are well down the pecking order. I am looking at the Black Five to convert into the Stephenson link version using the Bill Bedford and Comet parts after looking at the thread on RMWeb. Should work out cheaper than using the equivalent Hornby body and if I mess it up then no real harm done.

Regards Jason.

Been following this good thread for a while but never seen any GBL locos in shops my way despite looking and asking shop staff who like most now can't be bothered "if it an't on shelves we not got it".

On car boot this morning almost a whole set, Black5 had gone, someone I knew was process of buying Standard 4, Jinity he was debating, I picked up Princess Coronation for £3, seller was offering "whole lot" for £20. There was also a real BR distant signal arm for £50 but thats too heavy to carry.

Quite good loco so do see why so much interest , body and paintwork very nice just need a decent 4-6-2 chassis

• Like 1

Just replaced the buffers on the front of the 4MT. Simple job the existing buffers pull out with a little gentle twisting. I then used a round file to open out the hole testing the replacement buffer for fit. It's a nice tight fit so I have not even bothered to glue it. The replacement buffers are sprung buffers from a Hornby class 31 I had to paint the shanks, the buffer beam will need repainting as well to match. The buffers were bought from Peters spares they come in packs of 4.

post-5114-0-39866000-1410450867_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I've just noticed (they have only just come out of the packaging) that one of my 4MT models does not have a BR crest on the tank sides, both sides. I was thinking of putting an early lion and wheel crest on one of them it's just selected itself and made life a bit easier

• Like 3

I also received a lonely looking orange N scale diesel today, no paperwork.  Maybe it's the one that I didn't receive with the Castle class a while back?

This diesel looks far, far better than all the Hornby Minitrix I used to see when I was first 'into' model trains back in the late 1970s/early 1980s.  Probably better than a lot of the current GBL stuff as well.

Whilst my copy is burried, I have the feeling that this particular model was an export version of the Class 20, seem to recall that there was something in Modern Locomotives Illustrated about such a thing.

You are correct on the last point, there was an article in "Rail Enthusiast" magazine (in the days when it was aimed at enthusiasts and not the drab industry rubbish it has become). I had this copy for many years, there was also a Portuguese version of the Class 50 as well.

• RMweb Premium

A fourth one came into my possession today.  The WHSmiths in the shopping centre with not many shops left in it in London, Oxford Street.  Only one left when I departed and that had no bar code on it!

2 photos of the 4MT ready for traffic. Renumbered, some added detail added to the smokebox, and weathered using Modelmates soot..Thanks to Darrel for the guitar string  tip for the, currently dummy, speedo.

Just to add to my comments on the issue of motorising these things, I agree entirely that there is no point in buying a complete recent/decent Bachmann or Horby model and "plonking" a GBL body on the chassis. The original is likely to be much superior, and probably easier to do any mods to. However, to add a modified GBL body to a cheaply obtained chassis is completely different, The model in these photos cost about half a Hatton's Bachmann, and I think is perfectly acceptable as a layout loco.

But cost isn't the main  issue. I have enjoyed my time spent working on these bodies, and have developed some of my  rusty modelling skills, in the knowledge that any serious errors won't cost me a fortune .And some of these GBL bodies, though far from perfect, are improvements on what has gone before. Compare a GBL Jinty on a Triang chassis with the current Railroad version. Mallard was a better shape than the Tender- drive Hornby and gave us a better tender. Ditto the Scotsman,. Deltic was better than Lima/Hornby, even when running on Lima bogies.

I have been modelling for 40 years, and have always believed Railway Modelling was a broad church. Those who have the space and cash and time to operate a main-line with 150 plus locos and 11 coach expresses are as valid, as far as I am concerned, as those who want a static model or something straight out of the box

.This is the first forum I have contributed to, having been a long-time lurker, and confess to some disappointment at the negativity of some comments and lack of demonstration of what can be done with these locos. On the other hand, some postings have been very helpful. However, on balance, I've concluded that lurking is my natural habitat, and after this post, to there I shall retire.

Please don't stop now! You can't please everybody all of the time, it's just the way it goes. Most of us, me included, experience negative comments from time to time. Shake it off and do your thing.

Regards,

Stefan

Edited by knobhead

Rowan - really, no-one that I've seen has written anything to make you withdraw! Only a slight difference of opinion, pretty politely worded.

People seem to be being very sensitive at the moment. I don't think they need to be, because apart from that thread just about everybody is supportive, or has a validly different point of view. If you think they're wrong - put your case.

Where is the announcement of the HST, plz?

I spent the morning making a modelling workbench and actually produced a pair of cabsides for my Star conversion. Pretty simple (and crude) but that gave me great pleasure. I know that others could have done better, but then so will I, one day.

• Like 1