Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Thanks for that.  What I had were just heads of the same type.  A pity Tri-ang didn't do the brass ones in ovals as well as rounds like they stuck into many things, like the dock shunters and so on.

They did oval heads (fitted to various diesels). These turn up on eBay from time to time.

Not everyone has the knowledge or abilities that others have, so thatcomment was a bit on the harsh side.  I only wanted to know what suitable replacements to use.

If you look at every other model they made, they never made a balls up like that.

Do you really think the toolmakers with years of experience and knowledge have studied works drawings from the NRM archive, or scanned and measured one of the preserved locos...? No. They've obviously been given a RTR model to put through their cloning machine and really don't understand the discrepencies on it or if anything is broken, or even what it is.

It's a shame the UK copyright laws allow them to be imported as to be they don't offer anything over a 50yr old Airfix kit and can't be seen as anything but a cheap folly (like that crappy £4 coach), but at least Bachmann are at least selling a few extra packets of buffers because of them...

Could you explain how the cloning machine works?

Because it surely isn't an automatic process, rather one which has a great deal of human input. In this case I would assume the error came in at the CAD stage, and there simply wasn't the expertise, wit or will to spot and correct it.

Looking forward to the Director. For the first time I'm going to get an extra to try motorising. Thinking about shortening a B12 chassis I've got spare to make a 4-4-0 to go underneath it. Not very accurate perhaps, but close enough and will let me add a class of loco I could never afford normally

• Like 4

Because it surely isn't an automatic process, rather one which has a great deal of human input. In this case I would assume the error came in at the CAD stage, and there simply wasn't the expertise, wit or will to spot and correct it.

To be honest, I thought they just pressed the original model into some moulding-grade rubber, waited for it to set, then just started turning the thing out!

Thinking about shortening a B12 chassis I've got spare to make a 4-4-0 to go underneath it. Not very accurate perhaps, but close enough and will let me add a class of loco I could never afford normally

Go for it, I'm in the process of shortening a spare B12 chassis at the moment in view of it going under either the upcoming GBL T9 or if they stop before then a Hornby T9 body either of which will be the base of a Caledonian McIntosh Dunalastair or Drummond class 66 4-4-0 conversion (depending on whether its a wide or narrow splasher T9) I've got a set of T9 connecting rods from Pete's spares for only £2 to help reposition the middle axle which once the rear axle is out the way will need to move back about 10mm. Steve

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Director. For the first time I'm going to get an extra to try motorising. Thinking about shortening a B12 chassis I've got spare to make a 4-4-0 to go underneath it. Not very accurate perhaps, but close enough and will let me add a class of loco I could never afford normally

i also am looking forward to the d11 as i am planning to make a north british atlantic using the boiler, firebox and cab etc as a starting point, i have alraedy got a chassi that would do the job just have to find a glen tender.

• Like 3

I am confused. I was convinced that the 4MT would be on sale today, but there were none at the nearest Asda - the local WHS having given up on the series two issues ago. However, no one is posting buying and viewing experiences today, so are they late? Am I going quietly mad? Are they only up for subscription now? Is no one interested in issue 15? :O

I am confused. I was convinced that the 4MT would be on sale today, but there were none at the nearest Asda - the local WHS having given up on the series two issues ago. However, no one is posting buying and viewing experiences today, so are they late? Am I going quietly mad? Are they only up for subscription now? Is no one interested in issue 15? :O

I got hold of two from W H Smiffs in Haywards Heath. There was still a few there after me.

I think the loco looks fairly good, and the faults are easily remedied. I will be (eventually) chassis'ing/motorising my pair.

Emma

I have purchased one today from my local Asda in Great Barr this afternoon.

IMG_2231.JPG

Edited by andymac-2008
  • Like 1

Well not quite a cloning machine, but I suspect they may be using an old-school spark erosion pantograph machine to copy whatever the source model is.  We used them in the early 90s, but usually in reducing large detailed masters to produce moulds for a smaller version figure in 1/32nd or 1/72nd scale.  Even then they were getting a bit long in the tooth.

It will be interesting to see the Butler Henderson if it comes and compare it to the source model.  It may be the one to prompt litigation if it can be proved to be directly ripped off from the original Bachmann/NRM exclusive.

Edited for stupidity - I said Claude Hamilton and not Butler Henderson!  Doh!

Edited by Adams442T

Well not quite a cloning machine, but I suspect they may be using an old-school spark erosion pantograph machine to copy whatever the source model is.  We used them in the early 90s, but usually in reducing large detailed masters to produce a smaller version figure in 1/32nd or 1/72nd scale.  Even then they were getting a bit long in the tooth.

It will be interesting to see that Claude Hamilton if it comes and compare it to the source model.  It may be the one to prompt litigation if it can be proved to be directly ripped off from the original.

We have a desk top laser scanner at my work place from a company called Data M. How it works is you rotate the model in the scanner and it transposes the image onto the cad soft wear it can work to a tolerance of ±0.001. Once scanned this can be manipulated into section or parts that gets transferred onto a dxf program for manufacturing.   

I have purchased one today from my local Asda in Great Barr this after noon.

There were two at WHS in Wimborne at lunchtime.

None when I left the store; one of my daughter's refusing to carry the bag with them in.....

This is beginning to confirm my suspicion that the local Asda may have given up. I'll give it another visit after work tomorrow.

Edited by Nighthawk

WHS Ealing surprisingly had two 4MTs today, which they had placed behind the Mallard partwork.

This was quickly reduced to one, after which I quickly stuck in an order to Comet for a chassis pack. No time like the present, before everyone retires and/or Phoenix Paints takes over.....

WHS Ealing surprisingly had two 4MTs today, which they had placed behind the Mallard partwork.

This was quickly reduced to one, after which I quickly stuck in an order to Comet for a chassis pack. No time like the present, before everyone retires and/or Phoenix Paints takes over.....

All I found prominently displayed were the Mallard partwork and a U Boat partwork. In a 'bin' lower down was an F-111 from 'Giant Warplanes' and a solitary Scorpion from 'Bugs'!

All I found prominently displayed were the Mallard partwork and a U Boat partwork. In a 'bin' lower down was an F-111 from 'Giant Warplanes' and a solitary Scorpion from 'Bugs'!

If you were in the Ealing branch this afternoon, that must mean you were a little too late to swipe the remaining 4MT. Try WHS Hemel Hempstead; they usually have up to five GBLs in stock.

I will be really interested to see the north British and caley locos created from the D11 please post step by step photos of the conversions I will be tempted to have a go myself

The Caly one will hopefully be from the still to come T9 For some previous conversions from the Hornby T9 seek out forum member Ben Alders work to make  Highland railway small Ben's and others from RTR locos, he's done some outstanding work. Steve