Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

But then if we were to take such protection of the stupid to the extreme we would also have barriers on platforms to prevent folk jumping under? All these measures cost and I am not sure what the latest value placed on a darwinian is, but there has to be a limit to how much cotton wool we wrap folk in.

Isn't this already the case on some newer London Underground stations? there are clear walls with sliding doors which the trains have to line up with - all to prevent 'one-unders'

Isn't this already the case on some newer London Underground stations? there are clear walls with sliding doors which the trains have to line up with - all to prevent 'one-unders'

I don't know, don't use the underground very much - if true that is a sad situation. The nanny-state gone mad.

In some cases, such as future Crossrail stations, the main purpose of platform screen doors is related to ventilation and smoke management, and the platform screen "wall" goes all the way up to roof level.  However this isn't the case for the Jubilee line, where the running tunnel is open to the platform above the level of the top of the screen.  Despite this, the open air Jubilee stations built at the same time don't have platform screen doors (and nor will the open-air Crossrail stations) so prevention of falls onto the track is not an overriding reason to provide platform screen doors.  This leads to the question of what the platform screen doors on the Jubilee are actually for...

• RMweb Premium

This has spent a couple of days monitoring one of my local crossings.

post-408-0-90302600-1389916024_thumb.jpg

NwR have recently relaid the crossing and it's now a lot smoother, so that traffic now moves faster along the road than it did before, thus encouraging crossing jumpers...................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

At least it probably makes it less likely people will slow right down then stall on the crossing due to being in the wrong gear etc.  In a lot of ways it's better to encourage the traffic to move faster (within reason!), especially on automatic crossings. 

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Also prevents nutters pushing people under a train!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

They did this at Tipton in the West Midlands. Diverted the road alongside and then down under the railway and removed the level crossing. It saved having queues of traffic backing up the High Street too. winners all round :)

Of course the local lay of the land helped; it might not be "do-able" in many locations, but over or under, diverting the road would be easier than moving the track.

As for "the only answer is tear up all the Railways", I'm sure there's plenty in the Road Lobby who'd be only too happy to oblige.... :O

And all the level crossings between Birmingham and Coventry (Originally 4?)

Keith

In some cases, such as future Crossrail stations, the main purpose of platform screen doors is related to ventilation and smoke management, and the platform screen "wall" goes all the way up to roof level. However this isn't the case for the Jubilee line, where the running tunnel is open to the platform above the level of the top of the screen. Despite this, the open air Jubilee stations built at the same time don't have platform screen doors (and nor will the open-air Crossrail stations) so prevention of falls onto the track is not an overriding reason to provide platform screen doors. This leads to the question of what the platform screen doors on the Jubilee are actually for...

To quote Paul Scott on another forum

It's to stop the piston effect of trains impacting on the ventilation of the large open plan underground stations on the extension. Safety was a beneficial side effect - but that is a more easily understood by the public.

Although at you say, they don't go to the roof Edited by Talltim

And all the level crossings between Birmingham and Coventry (Originally 4?)

Keith

If I recall Canley, Tile Hill and Berkswell were closed to road traffic. The foot crossings at Bickenhill, Wootton Green, Bradnock's Marsh and Mackadown Lane were converted to footbridges (with space for 4 tracks too)

Incidentally, the latter is very good for watching planes from.

Andy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25022997

This is a tragic incident at Sandy Lane Crossing, car stalled just before signals and barriers operated and the driver was unable to restart it before it was hit by a container train, killing the passenger who was in a wheelchair. The report says the train arrived about 45s after the barriers dropped, which seems about right from my experience. 

Are these half barrier crossings monitored from the signal box at all? I don't remember seeing cameras there.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=51.814764,-1.297477

• RMweb Gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25022997

This is a tragic incident at Sandy Lane Crossing, car stalled just before signals and barriers operated and the driver was unable to restart it before it was hit by a container train, killing the passenger who was in a wheelchair. The report says the train arrived about 45s after the barriers dropped, which seems about right from my experience. 

Are these half barrier crossings monitored from the signal box at all? I don't remember seeing cameras there.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=51.814764,-1.297477

Automatic Half Barrier crossings are not monitored. Fully barriered crossings have to be because people can become trapped between the barriers, whereas there's always an exit with half barriers.

• RMweb Gold

If the car stalled, then one presumes it was not automatic transmission.

If that was the case why did the driver not stick it into 3rd or 4th gear and with the clutch up engage the starter motor.  The car would have then been driven off the crossing by the starter motor.

If you don't believe it works, try it. ( At the side of the road and where it is safe to do so) It might just save your life!

Every person I ever taught to drive was told about that technique when we did the lesson(s) on level crossings. (Safely negotiating hazards)

• Like 1

the stall raises many questions, I don't suppose we'll ever get the answers.

you would have to be at a stand on the crossing for a stall to immobilise it, moving cars don't just stall and stop dead,

too emotional a subject for rational discussion

The advice quoted by Hippo may be perfectly rational in the calm atmosphere of a driving lesson but trying to remember it in a panic situation could be something else entirely.  I don't remember it being explained to me when I did lessons 30+ years ago and as the driver in question was described as elderly then it's likely he learned to drive even longer ago.  Pretty sure my current car wouldn't let me do that either, as it can only be started by pressing a button with the clutch down. 

As I think I posted a few back, the very presence of a level crossing probably makes it statistically much more likely that a vehicle will stall there. 

• RMweb Premium

If the car stalled, then one presumes it was not automatic transmission.

If that was the case why did the driver not stick it into 3rd or 4th gear and with the clutch up engage the starter motor.  The car would have then been driven off the crossing by the starter motor.

If you don't believe it works, try it. ( At the side of the road and where it is safe to do so) It might just save your life!

Every person I ever taught to drive was told about that technique when we did the lesson(s) on level crossings. (Safely negotiating hazards)

Although that sounds like a good idea, (and one I've mentioned to my customers in the past) many cars now have safety systems in that you cannot start the car in gear, or that the clutch must be depressed to start the engine. My 13 plate Fiesta requires the clutch to be depressed. If I try and raise the clutch before it has fully started, it cuts out.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

you would have to be at a stand on the crossing for a stall to immobilise it, moving cars don't just stall and stop dead,

They can do if you accidentally engage 4th gear when moving slowly.

As you say, it's a tragic incident and emotional subject and we'll possibly not get the full answer

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 1 month later...