RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Not LC stupidity as such but I don't think the Guy prancing about at the beginning got any decent shots.

I'm not so sure about that...  He got good position for each of the 3 lights on the Barrier, and good opportunity for the picture{s} of the flashing lights.  The pictures of the Barrier will have the moving wagons as a mere background and the flashing lights will have plenty of sky for background.....

Having said that, the video of him may have been the point, perhaps...  a Mickey Take of Railfan's behaviour at crossings, with a Crossing Lightfan twist??  {US only of course, as we don't have anyone like that over here, of course}

We may never discover the truth, unless the producers of the video see this thread and let us know.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yeah spotted that.

It shows just what a mess that stretch of road is.

Didn't help because of the nerd that turned out of the side street, without looking to see whether there was any other vehicles.

IMHO there should be no parking on the RH side. As it is there isn't room betwen the cars and the train for other vehicles, which should be driving up that side.

PS pause the vid at the start of the piece you want then select "copy URL at current time"

That misses out the start.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Indeed….but why did he/she stop reversing?  Silly accident.

I had the impression that she/he did not realise that the train could not stop and expected it to do so. Must have been quite a frightening experience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Fortunatly no-one appeared to get hurt.

The driver turning right from the side street clearly did not "expect the unexpected" - the red Ute driving on the wrong side of the road.

Parellel parking would allow a bit more room but then I suppose people would double park !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Derekl said:

I had the impression that she/he did not realise that the train could not stop and expected it to do so. Must have been quite a frightening experience.

Yes, I understand that bit but when it got so close again why not just put it in reverse again and keep going, I know it’s different observing the incident and actually being there but…….still a silly accident.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2022 at 10:56, SamThomas said:

Fortunatly no-one appeared to get hurt.

The driver turning right from the side street clearly did not "expect the unexpected" - the red Ute driving on the wrong side of the road.

Parellel parking would allow a bit more room but then I suppose people would double park !

Parallel parking in the US????

More a chance of porcine aviators.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Grovenor said:

Plenty just across the road in this case!

I've never seen anyone do a reverse parallel park in the US.  BICBW

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I did one once in the US and someone told me that they are illegal in some states.

Jamie

It is in a lot of the angled parking lots, not heard it’s illegal in true parallel parking though, then again it is America.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

It is in a lot of the angled parking lots, not heard it’s illegal in true parallel parking though, then again it is America.

Understandable in angled parking bays but in most other circumstances reverse parking is safer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I think that reversing into a bay, straight or angled, is often banned when the back of the car would face a building. The reason is to avoid exhaust fumes being sucked into air conditioning systems.

• Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

I think that reversing into a bay, straight or angled, is often banned when the back of the car would face a building. The reason is to avoid exhaust fumes being sucked into air conditioning systems.

Lots of companies now insisting on reverse parking as the hazard is poor sighting coming out!

This is also not helped by other drivers not stopping to make it safer! Northallerton is a good example!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Lots of companies now insisting on reverse parking as the hazard is poor sighting coming out!

This is also not helped by other drivers not stopping to make it safer! Northallerton is a good example!

Many  oil refineries/terminals also require reverse parking, as it's quicker to get away in an emergency. On the marine side, some terminals insist that the ships always berth with the bow pointing out to sea, for the same reason.

I have always reverse parked if possible, for, as you point out, better sighting when leaving.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I did one once in the US and someone told me that they are illegal in some states.

Jamie

I was on holiday in Florida a while back and there were notices at carparks telling you to park front in.

I was informed it is because US cars do not generally have front number plates and the cops like to be able see them at all times.

At outdoor shopping centres I usually park nose in as often the rear has a wall/fence/hedge behind and it makes it difficult to get access with a trolley and open your boot.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1