Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

There is a report about it on the Trains website.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/ns-train-derails-after-hitting-truck-moving-concrete-bridge-beam/#wait_approval

Shades of Hixon but fort without the fatalities.  My step mother in law was a junior radiographer  at Stafford  on the morning of Hixon and it still ggets to her.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

The lead loco took the impact quite well, the damage doesn't look as if it got into the cab.

It cut the concrete beam in two.

SR_317_Apison_Pike_at_University_Drive_t

Yes, but they might have to recast the concrete beam and build a new trailer for it! At least the bridge contractor will have a valid excuse for the delayed opening of the new bridge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, but they might have to recast the concrete beam and build a new trailer for it! At least the bridge contractor will have a valid excuse for the delayed opening of the new bridge.

He'll probably  still get sued for being late though.  This is the US.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Surely with such a long load there should have been some special procedure for moving it? At least the railway company should have known about it and given approval for use of the crossing.

And not related to the accident, but that is a very unusual pedestrian crossing (if that is what it is) at an angle to the road. I would have thought that would also be a hazard.

Jonathan

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Surely with such a long load there should have been some special procedure for moving it? At least the railway company should have known about it and given approval for use of the crossing.

And not related to the accident, but that is a very unusual pedestrian crossing (if that is what it is) at an angle to the road. I would have thought that would also be a hazard.

Jonathan

Like the company transporting the beam reconnoitering the route for hazards, and informing the relevant authorities of their route and timings, so that they could liaise together? That was one of the recommendations of the Hixon inquiry, and it seems strange that such proceedure aren't implemented elsewhere.

Maybe reposition the traffic signals to lessen the chance of such a thing occurring again, as well

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

I looked at that too.

I came to the conclusion that the bridge was too narrow to have the foot path traverse it without imposing on the lanes.

The footpath also needs to cross the road here and crossing the road - on a long diagonal - must have seemed like a good solution to someone!

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The irony of it is that the turnpike there is being upgraded to eliminate that rail crossing and it looks like that might have been one of the new bridge beams.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, but they might have to recast the concrete beam and build a new trailer for it!

Well the alternative of sticking all the bits back together with superglue would probably take even longer.

Would make a good advter though 😆

For some reason Americans don't desing their long concrete beams to withstand the lateral shear force exerted by one of their freight trains travelling at speed.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

For some reason Americans don't desing their long concrete beams to withstand the lateral shear force exerted by one of their freight trains travelling at speed.

Probably find that they don't in the UK either 😉

What they do do in the US is design the front of their locos to withstand collisions as much as possible. UK locos wouldn't have stood a chance.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Looks like bad road design at least contributed to this. From the Trains account:

“Chattanooga fire officials say the truck was stopped on the railroad tracks while waiting for a traffic light when the crossing gates activated for an approaching train, and the truck was unable to clear the crossing in time.”

I presume the traffic light was to allow a turn on to Tucker Road, or to go straight ahead on TN317. There doesn’t seem to be any advice for vehicles to hold before the crossing if the light is red. (With a slow-moving vehicle, it may have even been on the crossing before the light went red.) I can think of a couple of crossings locally like this, where:

(A) - there is another set of lights before the crossing to prevent vehicles entering the crossing if the light at the intersection is going to be red.

or (B) - the traffic light and stop line for the intersection is before the rail crossing. 

An aside about the road design - the road over the crossing changes from one lane to two lanes actually on the crossing itself. That seems unusual.

There was an incident like this several years ago, where a school bus was stopped on a crossing waiting for the light to change at a road beyond the crossing, and was hit with fatal results.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I think that there was one in France involving a school bus down in the south nearcPerpignan a few years ago. Also with fatal results.  IIRC the authorities closed the railway line for quite some time.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

This one happened a month ago in Germany. The barriers came down to let an ICE train pass, but after the train had gone they stayed down. A waiting car driver pushed up the barrier himself and then ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UOrva9rkog

Edited by Budgie
Copying youtube urls does strange things.
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Do they have 'Another Train Coming' notices in Germany ?

Personally, I would have made the assumption that if the barrier remained down there was another train coming...

I would guess that a character, who pushes a barrier out of the way, would not respond any better to an "Another train coming" notice either.  {perhaps that was the intended irony in your comment...}

• Agree 3