Level crossing stupidity...

4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

That wasn't a day trip from a (then) well known Cambridge builder's merchant where I then worked, was it?   It was a customer and directors' jolly and the story was that they had to send a lorry down on the Monday to bring back all the confiscated booze.  Would have been about 1989.

It was after the opening of the Channel Tunnel, so 1995 or so.. I suspect these things were fairly common;  those who made their living out of it where generally no problem- they'd leave the train in a particular order, and would still be in that order when they returned several hours later.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not exactly a level crossing, but since it involves getting in front of the business end of a roller coaster, I thought this is the best place for it.

AKA how much is your mobile phone worth to you?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/woman-hit-on-rollercoaster-tracks-in-a-tragic-accident-show-boss-says-20220926-p5bkzf.html

I read elsewhere that she got tangled up in it and it took her in the air about 9 metres (30ft if you must), before she fell - nasty.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Not exactly a level crossing, but since it involves getting in front of the business end of a roller coaster, I thought this is the best place for it.

AKA how much is your mobile phone worth to you?

The last person I heard of who jumped onto some track to retrieve her mobile phone (at Wimbledon station) got hit at line speed by a non-stopping train. It was obviously worth too much to her.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Budgie said:

The last person I heard of who jumped onto some track to retrieve her mobile phone (at Wimbledon station) got hit at line speed by a non-stopping train. It was obviously worth too much to her.

Not being a mobile junkie I would never even consider going onto a working track to retrieve it.

If it's on the railhead go and buy another, if on sleepers etc. tell a member of staff, there might be a way of them safely retrieving it for you.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Budgie said:

Worth nothing to her, in the circumstances...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

My assistant at Wymondham Crossing was not the most alert.

IMG_20220926_092933.jpg.f49b62030f3b9ac82a16c187299f419d.jpg

Jim, Hard at Sleep!

448949901_IMG_20220926_130528(2).jpg.425c5d9fd568fbc54e5f04c50586ce50.jpg

Fortunately, I was more awake as these came through

No alert enough to not the numbers, though (there was anther one on the other end.)

Regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Smeeton
Sp
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

Not being a mobile junkie I would never even consider going onto a working track to retrieve it.

If it's on the railhead go and buy another, if on sleepers etc. tell a member of staff, there might be a way of them safely retrieving it for you.

Since it was a busy fairground ride, they probably wouldn't close it down to retrieve a phone, until the end of business for the day.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Since it was a busy fairground ride, they probably wouldn't close it down to retrieve a phone, until the end of business for the day.

That wouldn't be a problem, you'd simply go back to the staff office the following day and pick it up. It'd be relatively safe while on the track (no-one would likely pinch it) and you wouldn't get hurt by a coaster train.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, grahame said:

That wouldn't be a problem, you'd simply go back to the staff office the following day and pick it up. It'd be relatively safe while on the track (no-one would likely pinch it) and you wouldn't get hurt by a coaster train.

But being deprived of this essential means of communication is a major problem for some people. How is your group going to meet up without being able to phone or message each other? Alas for the lost art of waiting patiently for an hour or more for the other half of your group, while they do the same round the corner, on the basis of a misunderstanding of the rendez-vous point? (An art much practiced in our family, in my youth.)

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But being deprived of this essential means of communication is a major problem for some people. How is your group going to meet up without being able to phone or message each other? Alas for the lost art of waiting patiently for an hour or more for the other half of your group, while they do the same round the corner, on the basis of a misunderstanding of the rendez-vous point? (An art much practiced in our family, in my youth.)

That's why you have legs; so you can walk around the corner to check where they are. And to walk to someone's house and knock on the door to meet. Or they can go home and use the landline to make calls (or use a phone box if they can find one) or the internet and use email to communicate. I'm sure one night without a mobile phone won't cause a breakdown in society or be too stressful. ;-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, grahame said:

That's why you have legs; so you can walk around the corner to check where they are. And to walk to someone's house and knock on the door to meet. Or they can go home and use the landline to make calls (or use a phone box if they can find one) or the internet and use email to communicate. I'm sure one night without a mobile phone won't cause a breakdown in society or be too stressful. ;-)

There's a difference between reality and perception. I used to teach at an FE college, sixteen years old and over, and mobile phones were constant problem as students simply could not be parted from them; they were unable to envisage life without them. At the time, they were eligible for the Educational Maintenance Allowance of £30 per week. One student announced that he had to go home as he'd forgotten his phone. I pointed out that this would mean he would miss the lesson and therefore lose his EMA for that week. It didn't matter, it was imperative he had his phone so went, despite having two hours free at the end of the lesson.

You have to deal with reality, which is not the same as logic or even common sense.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

I used to teach at an FE college, sixteen years old and over, and mobile phones were constant problem as students simply could not be parted from them; they were unable to envisage life without them.

Dear me. I've been wandering about without a phone for over 70 years. No wonder I'm in such a state.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1