Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, melmerby said:

One involving a level crossing but no train involved. Definitely stupidity:

The car coming from the right does not appear to have slowed (let alone stopped) for the Stop sign controlling the entry to the junction 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Partly ................. but someone in authority has seen the need to erect notices, here, pointing out that there's "ANOTHER TRAIN COMING if lights continue to show" ...................................................... so WE are not allowed to use common sense, nowadays, and I wondered if the Germans are.

As in this case some people do not have any common sense to use with fatal results.

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

One involving a level crossing but no train involved. Definitely stupidity:

There's a very good reason why we don't have "4-way Stop" junctions in the UK..!!!

They are either controlled by traffic lights, or one route is the 'main', and the other route has the stop (give way, or 'yield' in USA) markings.

Doesn't mean there's never accidents collisions at them, of course!! 🙄🙄🤦‍♂️😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Kris said:

The car coming from the right does not appear to have slowed (let alone stopped) for the Stop sign controlling the entry to the junction 

It's not as the signs are inconspicuous, they are both sides of the road.

image.png.723f8f32fdd8a073244d1fd88c108fce.png

The VRF footage should provide good defence for the guy pulling out of Main Street

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's not as the signs are inconspicuous, they are both sides of the road.

image.png.723f8f32fdd8a073244d1fd88c108fce.png

The VRF footage should provide good defence for the guy pulling out of Main Street

Along with the pedestrian crossing and the car pulling out of the road to the right.....    🤪

• Agree 1

On 21/12/2022 at 08:35, corneliuslundie said:

Surely with such a long load there should have been some special procedure for moving it? At least the railway company should have known about it and given approval for use of the crossing.

And not related to the accident, but that is a very unusual pedestrian crossing (if that is what it is) at an angle to the road. I would have thought that would also be a hazard.

Jonathan

I asked a friend who drives for a Canadian firm that often carries exceptional loads as far south as the Mexican border. She told me that companies are supposed to inform all highway and municipalities in advance before the truck starts its journey.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/12/2022 at 14:05, lmsforever said:

Watched another film at La Grange ,an articulated lorry emerged from the right hand side and wanted to turn right up the shopping street .No mucking about he turned into the road and forced every oncoming car to move over very quickly .

Putting into practice what we are taught here when driving hgvs or busses "own the road "  position yourself so as to make the other drivers mind up for them 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, peanuts said:

Putting into practice what we are taught here when driving hgvs or busses "own the road "  position yourself so as to make the other drivers mind up for them 

Hmmm. It works as long as nobody happens to be owning the bit of road that he/she wants. A recent near miss with an HGV was when he tried to own the bit of road I was on.... A classic case of signal, move, mirror, see me and swerve back on his part. I saw him signal and at the "m" of move, I was already on my brakes to avoid being sandwiched. I had already checked my mirrors in anticipation as I always do when overtaking on a multi lane carriageway.

To be fair, it's not just large vehicles that do signal, move, mirror or not.. ( More accurately "mirror" = look including mirrors and blinds spots, shoulder check if necessary)

MSM. It will save yours and others lives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 22/12/2022 at 14:11, Budgie said:

This one happened a month ago in Germany. The barriers came down to let an ICE train pass, but after the train had gone they stayed down. A waiting car driver pushed up the barrier himself and then ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UOrva9rkog

Is that some sort of emergency braking system at 3:54? If so, ingenious, instead of shoes onto the wheel disk it’s onto the track.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Is that some sort of emergency braking system at 3:54? If so, ingenious, instead of shoes onto the wheel disk it’s onto the track.

Eddy current brakes I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2022 at 14:33, F-UnitMad said:

There's a very good reason why we don't have "4-way Stop" junctions in the UK..!!!

They are either controlled by traffic lights, or one route is the 'main', and the other route has the stop (give way, or 'yield' in USA) markings.

Or you pay attention to the signage, see that it’s a “4-way”, stop at the line and use the designated procedure to decide who goes first if there’s cars stopped on more than one street at the junction.

You certainly don’t blow through a stop sign, 4-way or not!

One of our sons lives in a mountain town, large parts of which are built on the side of a hill. They do have intersections which can be deceptive until you learn to look out for them. They are 3-way stops, with the traffic travelling uphill having right of way over the other three streets. Designed to allow that traffic to keep going in winter conditions, where an uphill restart on snowy/icy roads could be problematic.

P.S. I remember ‘uncontrolled’ crossroads in the UK - where no road had a designated right of way and no requirement to come to an absolute stop. There were many of them in a residential area in the town where I took my driving test.  Everyone being tested had to negotiate several of them.

Edited by pH
To add P.S.
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, pH said:

you pay attention to the signage, see that it’s a “4-way”, stop at the line and use the designated procedure to decide who goes first if there’s cars stopped on more than one street at the junction

What is the 'designated procedure', out of interest? 

The UK "confusion equivalent" is the mini-roundabout, with 3 cars arriving at once, none knowing who should go first. 🙄🤣

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

...and of course then there's the slight nuance of which type of road marking is used - at this mini roundabout for example: https://www.google.com/maps/@57.1207724,-2.0957224,30m/data=!3m1!1e3 two approaches have a Give Way double broken line and symbol, whilst one has a single row of chunky dashes which are more commonly associated with a roundabout. Would any driver really approach it and know the difference? Or treat it any differently? Or even notice that one set of markings is different? In the real world, I suspect not. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

The UK "confusion equivalent" is the mini-roundabout, with 3 cars arriving at once, none knowing who should go first. 🙄🤣

The road, or roads with the double broken line have priority

41 minutes ago, JDW said:

...and of course then there's the slight nuance of which type of road marking is used - at this mini roundabout for example: https://www.google.com/maps/@57.1207724,-2.0957224,30m/data=!3m1!1e3 two approaches have a Give Way double broken line and symbol, whilst one has a single row of chunky dashes which are more commonly associated with a roundabout. Would any driver really approach it and know the difference? Or treat it any differently? Or even notice that one set of markings is different? In the real world, I suspect not. 

As above its the double broken lines that have priority. Looking at the road layout it is obvious that the main road would have priority anyway and the minor road coming in from the left should give way. If two vehicles arrived at the roundabout at the same time on the main road the 'give way to the right' rule would apply and any vehicle approaching from the bottom would have to give way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

As above its the double broken lines that have priority. Looking at the road layout it is obvious that the main road would have priority anyway and the minor road coming in from the left should give way. If two vehicles arrived at the roundabout at the same time on the main road the 'give way to the right' rule would apply and any vehicle approaching from the bottom would have to give way.

Yep, but in the real world, how many people would actually be astute enough to know that or figure it out as they approach - I suspect very few. And it doesn't take much to imagine one car coming from the left (normal roundabout rule of priority from the right) and one from the top (Give Way lines so "more priority"). One from the left expects one from the top to give way to him as he's coming from the right. One from the top has different markings that mean he has priority and keeps going expecting one from screen left to stop... Seems a receipe for disaster, and probably lucky no one ever really treats it as any different regardless of where they're coming from!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

A summing up of the basic rules:

“Whoever stops first, should go first, Whoever stops second, goes second (and third, and so on). If you stop at the same time, yield to the right. And, if you stop at the same time, left-turning traffic should yield to straight-through and right-turning traffic.”

That comes from this site, which gives more detail:

https://drivinginstructorblog.com/4-way-stop/

(Edit - when trying to visualize these situations, remember North America drives on the right! 🙂👍)

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The double broken line is a give way line, found at all give ways. Drivers passing this give way to traffic on the road they are entering.  Give Way does not give you priority

In this case the roundabout. 

The single broken line is a carriageway divider effectively.  Found  at larger roundabouts, separating the two carriageways and where there is ample time and space to work out who goes first or who could go first depending on the relative position of vehicles.

With a mini roundabout, there is no luxury of space so if everyone arrives at once, someone has to give way.  That would be the driver with the double line,  big triangle painted on the road  and the give way sign. 

In the example, with three vehicles arriving at once, traffic approaching from the top should give way to anyone turning right out of Abroath Way. 

What those leaving Arbroath Way do in this case is anyone's guess if both vehicles on the main route aren't turning. A recipe for confusion as one is giving way to them whilst they are giving way to the third on their right as that is what ones does at a roundabout

If  traffic doesn't arrive at all entrances to the roundabout at once, traffic from the bottom should give way to traffic turning right into Arbroath Way in all cases. Traffic from the top gives way to right turners from Arbroath Way in all cases. Traffic from Arbroath Way faced with a non turner from the bottom of the picture gives way to traffic on their right

U turns shouldn't really come into play at a mini roundabouts. (Discouraged in the Highway Code, but not banned by law)

There really should be only one give way line and that maybe should  be on Arbroath Way

At least someone has had a go at marking it up right but made a right pig's ear of it, but I sense a traffic calming motive on the main route.

Many mini roundabouts don't have a give way line on any entrance and at least one should

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Agree 2