Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Was it by any chance carrying rails?

J

There's a company in the road he was trying to effectively U-turn into, called Jonquil Steel & Construction, which on Google Earth have loads of steel beams in stacks in their yard.

Maybe that's was the destination?

A bit odd as the previous rail crossing is almost in line with their entrance.

EDIT

Not allowed to turn there from the road he was on in either direction.

image.png.f0f3caf4a338906562f2227e56d19631.png

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid some people are when they get anywhere near a railway line - last night I caught the 23.18 to Crewe which had to proceed at caution from Atherstone to Tamworth because some chump was walking his dog in the four foot.

• Friendly/supportive 8

2 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid some people are when they get anywhere near a railway line - last night I caught the 23.18 to Crewe which had to proceed at caution from Atherstone to Tamworth because some chump was walking his dog in the four foot.

Standards of Security at Broadmoor appear to be slipping

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

43 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

It is a well known fact that trains should give way to pedestrians!

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Guide dogs are usually better trained than that!

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I was driving over a level crossing near me this afternoon.  Fortunately I was going very slowly as on one side of the railway you immediately enter a roundabout, on the other side there is a three way road junction, next to the gates.

As I came off the rounabout onto the crossing a young girl rode her bicycle across just in front of me.  One of her wheels fell into the gap by the rail and she fell off.  I stopped, the car coming the other way stopped, she got up and rode off.

Cyclists and pedestrians are always just wandering across there as the traffic has to move slowly - and where I live most people think cars give way to everything else.  It will be on my dashcam along with many other potential near misses at the same place.  It can be quite interesting watching the actions of pedestrians when the barriers are coming down.

David 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 09/07/2023 at 13:03, kevinlms said:

Did any British railways ever have right hand running when first built?

I'm not referring to drivers on the rhs, such as the Midland and GWR. 

On 10/07/2023 at 05:09, phil-b259 said:

Its  not a dumb question - but London Bridge to Charlton is hardly a long distance and moreover the rest of the SER used left hand running so if you are looking in a general UK wide context then the answer would be no (unlike France where substantial lengths of railway it inherited in Alsace–Lorraine  have remained right hand running up to this day).

So, for long distance, at 60 miles, what about the  Newcastle & Carlisle Railway?

Opened between 1835-8, and the first railway across Britain, it had right- hand running.

The line was converted to left-hand running a couple of years following its 1862 amalgamation into the NER

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Not necessarily stupidity but it seems to have happened at a crossing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-66616022

The man being helped seems to have been electrocuted, so did he make contact with the overhead wires? Very little information.

Jonathan

Just seen this on the Beeb site but, under the circumstances,

didn't think it appropriate to post under "Stupidity"

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, rab said:

Just seen this on the Beeb site but, under the circumstances,

didn't think it appropriate to post under "Stupidity"

The incident was caused by a man getting into an electrocution situation on or near the tracks, of which details are unreported.  The Policeman, who got struck, was acting to assist the man, when he got struck, brave and certainly not stupid.   Since the man's culpability, in getting electrocuted is unknown, it is as Johnofwessex said, it seems tricky to see where else this might be posted.

• Agree 5

It sometimes amazes me that the emergency services just wander onto a live line without checking it is safe to do so. I do not go anywhere near until i have a total block on and have confirmed that all traffic is stopped, even asking if the "Bobby" has his "reminders" on. You will not hear me coming until i am on top of you! (oo-er missus.) Several times i have had a call about police on the line, chasing a suspect, location unknown, go at caution, and then they pop out of the bushes and scare the cr@p out of you. Close......

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Needless to say, the BBC News reporter trotted out with the usual "Why didn't they stop the trains?" - though, clearly, there WAS sufficient time for the police to attend ( where from ? ).

This happened not far from me at Balderon Crossing, where there are nearby Webcams. 

PLEASE don't speculate as the local Copper was making a frantic bid to rescue the distressed bloke. He did not have time to think about phoning the Doncaster or other Box, he was attempting to save the bloke's life.

The Train struck the 'brave' Copper and thus the Driver was involved too. That must have been truly awful.

All ECML Services were immediately 'suspended'.

I understand how Rail Staff here maybe concerned about such Trespass, but this was a life and nearly death situation.

I'm not reporting it but AY might decide it's too sensitive to allow?

PLEASE leave this alone; it's very sad and it's live so can I ask it's left alone.

Thanks

Phil

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, 33C said:

It sometimes amazes me that the emergency services just wander onto a live line without checking it is safe to do so. I do not go anywhere near until i have a total block on and have confirmed that all traffic is stopped, even asking if the "Bobby" has his "reminders" on. You will not hear me coming until i am on top of you! (oo-er missus.) Several times i have had a call about police on the line, chasing a suspect, location unknown, go at caution, and then they pop out of the bushes and scare the cr@p out of you. Close......

22 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Needless to say, the BBC News reporter trotted out with the usual "Why didn't they stop the trains?" - though, clearly, there WAS sufficient time for the police to attend ( where from ? ).

All I can say from reviewing internal stuff is that there was precious little chance for the railway to do anything given the way things developed and it cannot be blamed for what happened.

And with that can I ask there be no further speculation / discussion of this incident - including what 'should' or 'should not' have happened.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2023 at 13:32, corneliuslundie said:

Not necessarily stupidity but it seems to have happened at a crossing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-66616022

The man being helped seems to have been electrocuted, so did he make contact with the overhead wires? Very little information.

Jonathan

Rather worrying as it does suggest - unless the Policeman acted in haste - that there could be a gap in his force's training system.  I know that a police officer's first priority is protection of life but they also need to consider their own safety.    Incidents such as this leave me wondering to what extent NR keeps in touch with he emergency services regarding procedures to be followed when going onto live railway lines ('live' in the sense that the line sis still open to rail traffic).

Responding to Phil's ('Mallard') comment there is little anyone can do about trespass unless the railway is totally fenced with string unclimbable fencing.  My concern here is that the police officer exposed himself to considerable danger which might have been avoidable or mitigated if he had followed some simple procedures even without first contacting the controlling signal box.   I think far too many people simply do not understand what it means, and how to stay safer, if you have no choice but to venture onto a live railway.  

Maybe, and hopefully, RAIB will carry out an investigation if only to enquire into the sort of training the emergency services get.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3