Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

Here's a report from Australia, about a collision between a train and a road train. Just released today.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2022/level-crossing-collision/

with full report here.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2021/rair/ro-2021-003/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Back off topic, it is interesting how misleading a single photo can be. The first photo of the derailed loco made it look as though the area was pretty rural, whereas in fact is is surrounded by buildings and adjacent to a junction.

And the Australian road train - a good example of a potential distraction for today's drivers. On the other hand, he might have been looking down at a map on his lap. The technology changes but the distractions remain.

Jonathan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Back off topic, it is interesting how misleading a single photo can be. The first photo of the derailed loco made it look as though the area was pretty rural, whereas in fact is is surrounded by buildings and adjacent to a junction.

Jonathan

The railway has changed considerably since 2007, with the freight route grade separated

This is 2019:

image.png.1ba7fa1aac3e983e61b765491fac73f7.png 

Notice the culvert carried over the diveunder.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

whereas in fact is is surrounded by buildings and adjacent to a junction.

The junction was evident in the first pic -- you can see the track in the bottom right.

Martin.

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Here's a report from Australia, about a collision between a train and a road train. ....

"“Given the size and weight of most trains, the onus to take action to avoid a level crossing collision rests almost entirely on the road vehicle user,” Dr Walker said." ...................................... I'm not sure I'd have included the word 'almost' there !!?!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

"“Given the size and weight of most trains, the onus to take action to avoid a level crossing collision rests almost entirely on the road vehicle user,” Dr Walker said." ...................................... I'm not sure I'd have included the word 'almost' there !!?!

What if a vehicle was stalled on a level crossing and the train was at a platform just before the level crossing?

Would the train driver be expected to start the train according to the timetable or would it be reasonable to expect the train driver to give way to the vehicle on the crossing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

What if a vehicle was stalled on a level crossing and the train was at a platform just before the level crossing?

Would the train driver be expected to start the train according to the timetable or would it be reasonable to expect the train driver to give way to the vehicle on the crossing?

The question of avoidance, refers to the ability of a train to stop in time, rather than start, from stationary - unless it was a russi'n military train...    😲

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I think in that case the onus would be on the train driver NOT to take any action - just to stay at the platform ................. presumably the vehicle stalled when the crossing was clear for road traffic and, therefore, before the train arrived.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I reckon, whatever else the police driver gets, he/she won't do that again.

Almost certainly off driving duties for the foreseeable future. Although emergency vehicles on a 'shout' are permitted to jump red traffic lights it is down to the driver if there's an accident. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Railway level crossings normally have wig wags not just traffic lights with good reason.

Emergency vehicles are authorised to "jump" red lights (though they're supposed to do it carefully!) but not wig wags.

Indeed, but although wig wags might be preferable in the instance being discussed it might not be possible such as if the tram was on a street running section used by other traffic. Technically in such circumstances it is not a level crossing just a traffic light controlled road junction that is used by rail born vehicles.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Indeed, but although wig wags might be preferable in the instance being discussed it might not be possible such as if the tram was on a street running section used by other traffic. Technically in such circumstances it is not a level crossing just a traffic light controlled road junction that is used by rail born vehicles.

It is the case.

The tram was on Glossop Road with  a clear light.

Tram routes rarely have wigwags, even when a road crosses a tram only private right of way.

e.g. Black Lake on the West Midland Metro, this used to be the GWR main line from Birmingham to Wolverhampton:

395035386_blacklake.jpg.0172c4a0a16c07fab6478576458091ac.jpg

• Like 3

On 31/03/2022 at 18:29, SamThomas said:

Brilliant film, about time it was re-run on one of the Freeview channels.

Back on topic yes & another railway connection looking at the front bumper of the truck.

Stephen Spielberg's first film, seemingly, Can't have cost that much to make, either

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was interested to see the reference to Police drivers passing red lights vs, wig-wags. 

Possibly explains the use of the latter outside certain Fire Stations (one at Bridport, Dorset springs most readily to mind) to stop traffic and allow appliances out.

I'd thought it was just because of its proximity to regular traffic lights. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I was interested to see the reference to Police drivers passing red lights vs, wig-wags. 

Possibly explains the use of the latter outside certain Fire Stations (one at Bridport, Dorset springs most readily to mind) to stop traffic and allow appliances out.

I'd thought it was just because if its proximity to regular traffic lights. 

John

I believe most, if not all, Fire Stations have wig-wags outside. Certainly ours here does.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1