Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

I believe the BTP are sometimes wary of accepting evidence from the public regarding level crossing misuse as an aggressive lawyer like the infamous "Mr Loophole" could probably find some flaw in it.

On the flip side though the BTP are quite happy with the evidence of a railway official (e.g. LON, Signaller, etc) on the basis that the courts generally believe they are unlikely to have a hidden agenda thus making the chance of a sucessfull prosecution grater.

LON?

• RMweb Gold

RAIB report just published, Thetford.

Once again it seems the failure is on the railway side.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/58c6aab0ed915d6035000157/R042017_170314_Hockham_Road.pdf

Martin.

I'm afraid it reveals several very disquieting factors of which the worst was undoubtedly the extremely poor (inadequate?) rostering arrangements apart from what i would regard as abysmal frequencies for maintaining competence on the 'unusual' system of control (which is very different from that in the rest of the 'box).

Yet again tho' we have an incidence of incorrect information being given to the user at a UWC which suggests that there is need - albeit no doubt at considerable expense nationally - to address the way these crossings are dealt with.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid it reveals several very disquieting factors of which the worst was undoubtedly the extremely poor (inadequate?) rostering arrangements apart from what i would regard as abysmal frequencies for maintaining competence on the 'unusual' system of control (which is very different from that in the rest of the 'box).

Yet again tho' we have an incidence of incorrect information being given to the user at a UWC which suggests that there is need - albeit no doubt at considerable expense nationally - to address the way these crossings are dealt with.

Well from the report it seems that the issue was addressed, with a system to indicate an approaching train but it had been taken out of service (with reason).

• RMweb Premium

Well from the report it seems that the issue was addressed, with a system to indicate an approaching train but it had been taken out of service (with reason).

Yes, but where was the mitigation for the signallers when this extra workload arrived?

Andy G

Edit: I was quite dumbfounded at the amount of information crammed on each screen. I would find it very difficult to pick out the train on that screen in the heat of the moment...

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

I've just found this on the BBC website. Words fail me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39292289/pregnant-teenage-model-dies-during-railway-photoshoot-in-texas

I just feel desperately sorry for all the people involved, however looking at the photo, which seems to have come from the photoshoot in question it beggars belief that someone even dreamed of planning this.

Jamie

RIP Poor girl was not looked after properly by those in charge of the photo- shoot.

agree there is a big discussion going on about this incident and another a few months ago both stateside on a modeling forum iam active on most agreeing that they should not be near any sort of active railway whatsoever for this type of shoot . sadly clothed and naked models on or around railway lines appears to be a popular subject for shoots with many, judging by there frequent appearance on the gallerys tho most do seem to be on heritage lines with permission or clearly abandoned sidings .one or two that are not have appeared and rightfully drawn criticism in the forums   

I note the quote in the article: ""We have an ongoing investigation but nothing to suggest there is any criminal activity," Chief Leeth of the Navasota police has told Newsbeat"

Well there sure would be in the UK. How about trespass on a railway!

• RMweb Premium

Which was why the Ebi-gate system was initially developed - thus showing the top bods at NR are aware of the risks in general. The fact that those in charge of bringing it to market (i.e. getting all the reverent safety certificates) failed is clearly regrettable, and is perhaps yet another example of a NR 'project' losing focus on things that matter.

Similarly the 'resignalling project' also have significant responsibility for the incident as they apparently walked away saying it was a done deal despite the signallers and even their own ergonomic assessments showing that 3 screens were to few to allow the signallers to discharge their duties safely.

More recently we had to change a 650V signalling power cable (rodent damage) and killed half the new Thameslink depot at Three Bridges because the 'project' had not got round to giving us updated diagrams a full 6 months after the depot was commissioned (funny how new diagrams turned up the next day)

I'm afraid that 'projects' within NR have a nasty habit of wandering off announcing 'project complete' with snagging issues (quite important ones at that sometimes - like providing enough VDU screens, or actually training the maintenance people how to look after the Ebigate system) not done. Not for the first time I wonder ow is it on the one hand you have emergency jobs like Dawlish, Dover or Eden Brow where NR do a fantastic job, yet others like various electrification projects or the Norwich - Ely resignalling where vital tasks are not done (or done very late).

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just found this on the BBC website. Words fail me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39292289/pregnant-teenage-model-dies-during-railway-photoshoot-in-texas

I just feel desperately sorry for all the people involved, however looking at the photo, which seems to have come from the photoshoot in question it beggars belief that someone even dreamed of planning this.

Jamie

I suspect 'planning' might not have entered into their thoughts.

Taken out, but with no safe back-up system in place.  Essentially leaving an accident waiting to happen.

• RMweb Premium

Not forgetting the unborn child.

What's happened to Operation Lifesaver?  https://oli.org/

It's still going I believe but you would have thought that they would have learned from the incident a couple of years ago when a woman got killed on a bridge when they started filming a movie without permission I think it was CSX trackage, also the parade incident in Texas not long ago.

Jamie

Taken out, but with no safe back-up system in place. Essentially leaving an accident waiting to happen.

Hi,

Both the systems at the site at the time of accident were safe, whether it was used correctly by either party was the problem.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Both the systems at the site at the time of accident were safe, whether it was used correctly by either party was the problem.

Simon

Both ? - one system was in use, UWC with phone.

• RMweb Gold

I meant both the UWC+T and the Ebi-gate system, even though decommissioned the concept of the Ebigate system is still safe.

Simon

It had been decommissioned by Network Rail following concerns which the company had about the safety integrity of the system.

In October 2015 Network Rail withdrew its product acceptance for the EBI Gate 200 system and decommissioned the equipment at Hockham Road crossing.

Whether that was because it was dangerous or not is immaterial, it was turned off - meaning it was irrelevant in this incident.

• RMweb Gold

Having a look at the report I was somewhat (understatment) taken aback by the map on page 9 which has the location of the accident incorrectly labelled at Roudham Hall UWC :nono:

post-6662-0-60772500-1489698586_thumb.jpg

The accident was at the crossing (Hockham Road) to the left of the one labelled (Roudham Hall)

• RMweb Premium

The accident was at the crossing (Hockham Road) to the left of the one labelled (Roudham Hall)

Our apologies for the mistake, and thanks for spotting it. The online report has now been corrected.

Stuart Johnson

RAIB

Edited by 4069
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I note the quote in the article: ""We have an ongoing investigation but nothing to suggest there is any criminal activity," Chief Leeth of the Navasota police has told Newsbeat"

In Ireland breach of Health and safety laws is a criminal offence. Someone would get a prison term here if they could not prove 100% compliance.

This one would seem to fit nicely with the offence used on the Merseyrail guard,

"Whosoever, by any unlawful act, or by any wilful omission or neglect, shall endanger or cause to be endangered the safety of any person conveyed or being in or upon a railway"

Regards

Edited by Grovenor

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but where was the mitigation for the signallers when this extra workload arrived?

Andy G

I only skimmed the report. When the workstations were installed, were the Ebi-gate systems taken into account when determining the workload for the relevant workstation? If so, then I would have thought a re-evaluation would be required when the Ebi-gate systems were taken out of service.

If not, then I don't think this can be blamed for excessive workload.