Level crossing stupidity...

If we're lucky, he'll grow up, otherwise sooner or later he will end up on the front of a train, in which case my only thoughts are for the unfortunate train driver, who won't be able to do anything about it.

I'm sure that a person with his level of intelligence would be able to find plenty of other ingenious ways to remove himself from the gene pool.  Hopefully without inconveniencing anyone else.

• RMweb Gold

I would point out that motorcyclists (including me) often wear earplugs due to the risk of hearing loss from noise.  The major risk is actually from wind noise around the helmet, with road and engine noise significantly less of a worry as speed increases.  Given that these noise risks exist, it should be possible to understand that hearing is not actually a very useful sense on a motorcycle.  Most motorcycles have mirrors, and the test regime has emphasised both use of mirrors and life-savers for decades (at least since I passed my test in 1990-something).

There's plenty of reference material about this on the web.  Here is a starter for ten.

I must admit that I've never found noise (wind or road) to be an issue when on two wheels - maybe I don't go fast enough or far enough for it to become annoying. Engine/exhaust noise is of course a matter of parts choice; a bike is as loud as one wants it to be!

My point related to the distraction factor. I once tried listening to music on headphones when driving a car and it affected my concentration in a way that I don't experience via speakers.

Totally agree about mirrors, though; I wouldn't ride a bike without them for any distance nowadays.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

My point related to the distraction factor.

Distraction factor I can agree with.  I have only once tried riding with music coming through headphones.  It was enjoyable in its own way, but I did feel quite noticeably distanced from the normal riding experience.  For that reason I've never felt inclined to do it since.

I would 100% agree with your earlier point about wearing headphones while riding a pushbike being a seriously bad idea.  (And FWIW: I enjoy riding my pedal cycle just as much as my motorcycle.  I wouldn't want anyone to form the false impression that I'm an unreformed petrol head.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have only once tried riding with music coming through headphones.  It was enjoyable in its own way, but I did feel quite noticeably distanced from the normal riding experience.  For that reason I've never felt inclined to do it since.

I would 100% agree with your earlier point about wearing headphones while riding a pushbike being a seriously bad idea.

Try: https://www.engadget.com/2015/09/25/aftershokz-bluez-2s-bone-conduction-headphones/

• RMweb Gold

Interesting development, though I note they aren't exactly cheap. The serious issue is with conventional in-ear headphones effectively cutting off users aurally from what's going on around them. .

I had just one ear rather waxed-up a month or two back and was amazed to realise how much I relied on my hearing as well as vision when crossing the road.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Headphones - and also that 'bone' gadget are bad news when driving or riding.......

A study was done by Anne Minors or AMPC (actually from the other direction - to see what people looked at when listening to music - first via speakers and then via head phones) This study was done using computer eye tracking, and a large range of subjects, and the point of interest is that specifically (and only) when listening via headsets, the user ceased to scan the extremes of their outer vision. Effectively they blinded themselves by either 15 or 25% (forgive me, I can't recall which..).

Obviously when sat at a desk this is neither here nor there - but when cycling, riding or driving this is extremely significant.

I for one will never have music in my crash helmet, no matter how nice the thought is.

• Like 3

A study was done by Anne Minors or AMPC (actually from the other direction - to see what people looked at when listening to music - first via speakers and then via head phones) This study was done using computer eye tracking, and a large range of subjects, and the point of interest is that specifically (and only) when listening via headsets, the user ceased to scan the extremes of their outer vision. Effectively they blinded themselves by either 15 or 25% (forgive me, I can't recall which..).

Interesting.  This could explain the disconnected feeling I experienced the one time I tried it on my bike.  Do you have a reference/link for that study?

P.S.  What is "that bone gadget"?

• RMweb Premium

Bystander: "There's a train coming!"

Idiot: "I don't F---ing care!"

:fool:

Its also on Facebook, BTP have asked the person who filmed it for a copy, as have several news organisations.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Distraction factor I can agree with.  I have only once tried riding with music coming through headphones.  It was enjoyable in its own way, but I did feel quite noticeably distanced from the normal riding experience.  For that reason I've never felt inclined to do it since.

I would 100% agree with your earlier point about wearing headphones while riding a pushbike being a seriously bad idea.  (And FWIW: I enjoy riding my pedal cycle just as much as my motorcycle.  I wouldn't want anyone to form the false impression that I'm an unreformed petrol head.)

I will never wear headphones whilst cycling the aural input is in my view essential for keeping safe on the road.

Jamie

• Like 1

Appears from the white headphones to have been an iPhone user - surprised he hadn't already got himself some of these.  (At least at £159 a pop :O he might not then have able to afford to put petrol in his bike, reducing the risk of crashing...)

In relation to reduced situational awareness arising from listening to music through headphones, I've just remembered an experience way back in the 1980s when the cassette Walkman was really starting to take off.  A friend of mine recommended listening to music through headphones while skiing, on the grounds that it helped you maintain a smooth turning rhythm.  I tried it just the once and gave up after one short run.  I really didn't enjoy it and, just like when I tried it on the motorbike, I felt uncomfortably disconnected from the environment and the activity I was engaged in.  This despite it being one of the most physically involving things I regularly do on two feet.  That research that Giles referenced (which I think may be this paper) would seem to offer some explanation as to why it has this effect.

I've tried listening to both music and speech programmes while running (off-road) as well and found that to be pretty rubbish, too.

TBH, I find it difficult to understand people who seem to want their entire lives to be accompanied by a soundtrack.  On a boring bus, plane or train journey it can help pass the time and relax.  Walking down the street: can't see the attraction at all.  Each to his own and all that - but please, not when it puts you (or other people who have to avoid you because of your reduced situational awareness) at risk.

As for folks who play music through the phone speaker, or who make speakerphone calls all the time as if they're one of the deluded tw@s on The Apprentice: I'm sometimes tempted to insert their phone in the one place where they'll be guaranteed to be able to hear it just fine (because they seem to have their heads up there anyway).

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 6

This video was recently released from an October 2016 incident in Houston. (No barriers at a station.) Luckily the little brother had quick reflexes.

This looks more like 'light rail' or a tram than a train, but all the same.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

That comment just cracked me up!

..and that's no yoke either!

Kev.

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 1

I have had the pleasure of working on some gated level crossings recently. The highlight was whilst standing outside the hut chatting to the crossing keeper a BMW driver shouting at us from the far side about how long the gates had been closed. He seemed somewhat taken aback to find us shouting back at him. Once he realised what we were saying he made a dash for his car and put the handbrake on. It had rolled a good twenty feet or so but luckily rather slowly. We waited for ages but never saw him come over the crossing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is an interesting level crossing sign part way down on this page:

https://thebeautyoftransport.com/2015/05/13/on-line-typeface-rail-alphabet-typeface-uk/comment-page-1/#comment-4699

Does anyone know what I should do if faced by a sign telling me to contact the "nearest Station Manager"?

(There's also a debate on whether this is in the Rail Alphabet or not. I say not.)