RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Nice this morning to have a proper discussion instead of the occasional banal comments.I've got to keep the punters happy so here's a few more of 5011 coming into the fiddle yard.Nice to have new comments from members not usually posting.

post-126-0-12942400-1408961723_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-33901100-1408961739_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-90817600-1408961755_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-91641600-1408961769_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

How is your Comet C54 coming along Rob? That 'M set' should look smashing when it's done. 

Also, are you intending to re-livery Tintagel Castle to 1947 condition? I am probably to embark on that endeavour very soon: I've almost given up on Wellington ever arriving. (Good job history didn't see a role reversal with Blucher, or we'd likely all still be under a French yoke!)

CoY

• RMweb Gold

How is your Comet C54 coming along Rob? That 'M set' should look smashing when it's done. 

Also, are you intending to re-livery Tintagel Castle to 1947 condition? I am probably to embark on that endeavour very soon: I've almost given up on Wellington ever arriving. (Good job history didn't see a role reversal with Blucher, or we'd likely all still be under a French yoke!)

CoY

The C54 is waiting to go into the paintshop and I'm planning on starting a D95 build very soon with Mallard60022 help.I agree they should look great when finished.I was reprimanded for running it in brass but I liked it myself.

As for 5011, she will stay as she is now but any further Castle purchases will have the correct post war tender livery.

• Like 2

Appalling Bank Holiday weather forces the Model Railway Press and a hair styling magazine reporter into the Ricoh for shelter.The final dress rehearsal for the  RMWeb Live ANTB Q & A session is underway there and they pose some difficult questions

post-9751-0-84263400-1408980424.jpg

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

I can answer three of those questions straight away but don't ask me who my hairdresser is. :no2:

Good old Mr Strachan.Made history by being the first manager to get us relegated from the top division.A legend. :O

• RMweb Premium

post-126-0-33901100-1408961739_thumb.jpg

What's that huge black slug doing climbing up the embankment from the beach.....?

Q

P.S. Castle looks really good backed by that scenery with 'depth' due to the other track. I think the 'looking through the trees' method of depth of field works really well.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Gotta explain the bald patch somehow haven't I ;)

I've banged my head countless times.Just as well my woodwork and track laying is up to scratch or it would have been misaligned years ago.A minor point to worry about in my layout construction.

I've banged my head countless times.Just as well my woodwork and track laying is up to scratch or it would have been misaligned years ago.A minor point to worry about in my layout construction.

"How to build a lifting flap for your layout and avoid those nasty head wounds"  - RMWeb Live Workshop, Ricoh Arena, September 2014.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit my baseboards were built with the help of a Peco publication 'Railway Modelling Explored'.I wish I'd had today's experts at hand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAILWAY-MODELLING-EXPLORED-MONTHLY-KNOWHOW-GUIDE-COMPLETE-RAILWAY-MODELLER-/380961901869?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item58b3194d2d

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif2014-08-24 11.56.53.jpg

Look what I had for breakfast today, I'm not happy where was the black and white pudding????? :)

Thank you for posting that photograph of your breakfast on here. I trust that you sent it back to the kitchens, on account of some inconsiderate person having taken a bit out of your toast...?

Now that we have broken the glass ceiling of posting photographs of meals on here, may I request that someone posts a photo of their lunch here, at the earliest opportunity. I won't mind if there aren't any sausages featured, I won't. Really.

And while you're thinking about that, I'd like a photo of someone's elevenses as well, please, including a nice 'Captain's Class' of latte, if possible.

You are all too kind.

(Sorry for presuming to request photos of food and drink, Robin, but I just couldn't help myself. Honestly, I just couldn't...)

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to post on here a photo of the Finching Sisters sat on the platform at Bleakhouse Road.Taken at the Ricoh show at least I'm nearly on topic.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is that "sundeala" stuff absolute rubbish

Did you remember to "condition" the boards as per Sundeala's website:

Conditioning is achieved by mopping approx

half a litre of clean water into the back of the

board. To aid absorption a single drop of

washing up liquid can be added to the water.

Then lay horizontally wet side to wet side on

a level base, within the room the boards are

to be used, for approx 48 to 72 hours. The

boards may be weighted to assist flatness.

Without doing this your baseboards won't expand and warp at the desired differential rates.

• RMweb Premium

Stuff that sunneydealer stuff, here is my bestest baseboard wood all ready for Seatonishpost-2326-0-90949500-1409039238.jpg

I'm so looking forward to installing all that.....

Cap'n.......post-2326-0-83024900-1409039335.jpg.....I have my elevenses at 9ses as I start work at 5ses.

Q

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After consultation with Mr Spams, he agreed that I should post up some reasearch I have undertaken. I have located three photos of Southern locos on the South Devon GWR main line, all taken on 30 September 1946.

21C112 Launceston ascending Dainton with a down local.

21C113 Okehampton on an up local at Dawlish.

N class 1833 on a down local at Aller Junction.

So the visit by Mr Spams' stock has historical backing. As of yet, I cannot find evidence of T9s though :-(

Never say never!!

P

Robin, I haven't been closely following your thread recently (for reasons  mentioned to you privately) but I think you mentioned re-building your sea wall. In so doing have you amongst others, perhaps considered:-

1. its height? To my eye it appears excessively high.

2, the topography of the lands adjacent?

3. is the '"water" alongside the raging Atlantic or a placid tidal estuary?

4. cost of the initial works and their subsequent maintenance.?

All matters very much in the mind of the original builders of the line.

If you have, then kindly disregard this post.

• Like 3

As of yet, I cannot find evidence of T9s though :-(

Not 1946, but there is a picture (photo 69) of two T9's in "Newton Abbot to Plymouth" (Middleton Press - Mitchell and Smith) in BR livery, like the ones provided by Mr Spams, and recently seen on ANTB.

It is dated 20th September 1958 with Class T9 nos 30712 and 30716 recorded climbing hard up Hemerdon Bank with the 4.32 p.m. Plymouth to Exeter stopping train with 4 ex-GWR coaches (M Set?) and Full Brake (?) on. They had worked a special to Plymouth via Okehampton earlier in the day and are working back to Exeter with unchanged headcode discs.

Hopefully 2ManySpams hasn't got those two T9s :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Back to modelling matters. What track and control system do you use Rob?

Nothing fancy Paul.The track is Peco code 75 and I use three Gaugemaster controllers.A DS for up and down main plus a 100M feeding the handheld for the Kingsbridge branch.I then have a Combi that I use for the shed plus my rolling road when it's set up.

Edited by gwrrob