A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Kings are allowed over the RAB - I have footage of George VI at Pz.

Annecdote :

No 1 son is autistic & obsessed with steam locos. A meeting with Black Prince at Llangollen when he was young has left him worried about sudden loud noises from locos, so he is usually torn between getting close and keeping his distance.

Cut to KG VI steaming gently at Pz, awaiting the all clear for the run back east. The platform is heaving with people ( another source of anxiety) but both lads are keen to view the loco. I've been filming the scene as best as possible. We get near the cab and the lads get invited onto the footplate. "Oh, one will, one won't" says I - I know my sons... At which point both of them climb up and have a look round. I was so astounded I completely forgot to film anything !

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Kings are allowed over the RAB - I have footage of George VI at Pz.

Ah, so they are now, but they weren't back in the good old days; why I ask myself, as the RAB is now 50/60 years older then in my spotting days!! Mild pedant mode off......

Actually I never knew of a MN going west of Plymouth in 'steam days' but they did appear in Plymouth when I wasn't looking of course. :beee:

P

• RMweb Gold

Ah, so they are now, but they weren't back in the good old days; why I ask myself, as the RAB is now 50/60 years older then in my spotting days!! Mild pedant mode off......

Actually I never knew of a MN going west of Plymouth in 'steam days' but they did appear in Plymouth when I wasn't looking of course. :beee:

P

In the old days MNs weren't allowed west of Devonport Jcn as far as I know.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice railway that it is - well worth a visit

attachicon.gifgtd01 040903 154b.jpg

Must resist booking, must resist booking..........

Anyhow, that loco needs replacement Gibson Pony wheels. The existing ones are the wrong diameter and have the incorrect shape spokes. As for the coupling......get a Dingham on it now.

P.E. Dent

• RMweb Gold

EU Directive 30099887765/08/2014

It has come to the attention of the commission that a breach of EU law and the European Convention on Human Rights have been perpetrated in the district of Coventry, United Kingdom.

An EU review of a complaint by Mr T M Spams revealed the breaches which were perpetrated by individuals claiming authority on behalf of the state of Brent in the republic of WestCountry.

Mr Spams, who is the commisioner for historic air smoothed wonderfulness, claimed that this self appointed committee had attempted to curtail his activities in persuance of EU directive 234768433/03/2013 - educating the masses in the beauty and engineering prowess of the Southern Railway of England.

Such interference with the democratic process will not be allowed. The so-called ANTB sub commitee is hereby banned from any more subversive activities and instructed to respect the rights of Mr Spams to enjoy the beauty of SR locomotion.

Signed on behalf of Commissioner OVBullied, curator of the Spam Mountain and the oil bath lake.

By the way, your English chocolate, is not really chocolate.

This Commission Directive is hereby declared Null and Void (with particular emphasis - for no particular reason other than being peverse - on the Void), on the grounds that the name of the State in which Brent is to be found is incorrect.

The place known as Brent (and known locally as Brent) is to be found in The Noble Realm of Swagonia, and no conceivable petty interference by the pen-pushing Bureaucrats of Sproutland can possibly change this state of affairs.

The Noble Realm is known for it's diversity and tolerance of unusual motive power, and hence welcomes any kind of steam, diesel or electric locomotive, multiple unit or handcart, as long as it doesn't have 'LNER' on the side... :P  :D

All border posts have been given strict instructions to use the Red Telephone to call SWAGPO, in the event of any unidentified strange locos turning up, whether announced or unannounced.

ALL HAIL THE CHIEF SAUSAGE!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This Commission Directive is hereby declared Null and Void (with particular emphasis - for no particular reason other than being peverse - on the Void), on the grounds that the name of the State in which Brent is to be found is incorrect.

The place known as Brent (and known locally as Brent) is to be found in The Noble Realm of Swagonia, and no conceivable petty interference by the pen-pushing Bureaucrats of Sproutland can possibly change this state of affairs.

The Noble Realm is known for it's diversity and tolerance of unusual motive power, and hence welcomes any kind of steam, diesel or electric locomotive, multiple unit or handcart, as long as it doesn't have 'LNER' on the side... :P  :D

All border posts have been given strict instructions to use the Red Telephone to call SWAGPO, in the event of any unidentified strange locos turning up, whether announced or unannounced.

ALL HAIL THE CHIEF SAUSAGE!

OK, you win this time SWAG type person. But, your SWAGGY banger so called sausages have not enough meat content and they are much too bendy. You have been warned.

B. Sprout, Euro Pen Pusher

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Robin stop this madness  :help: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send for the men in white coats carrying Straight Jackets or off with their heads I say. :butcher: 

Someone else supporting the desistment of non GWR locos ?

• RMweb Gold

Blimey I get in from a hard morning's graft at work to find my thread has gained two pages since last night with various chit chat and directives ,one including sausages.

Even Andy Y has visited.Bonkers the lot of us.

Am I allowed to run a Castle from Millbay Docks on an up Ocean Liner special on this thread ?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

OK, you win this time SWAG type person. But, your SWAGGY banger so called sausages have not enough meat content and they are much too bendy. You have been warned.

B. Sprout, Euro Pen Pusher

As it happens last Friday and Saturday - well within the boundaries of Swagonia - I consumed as part of my breakfast a top notch 100% meat, Sawgonia made, pork sausage of delectable nature.  So these tales about bendy bangers with insufficient meat content are clearly a figment of a peculiar tasting vegetables imagination.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Am I allowed to run a Castle from Millbay Docks on an up Ocean Liner special on this thread ?

Yeah, yeah, yeah please Rob, go on, go on, go on, you know you want to.  We are just a bit ADHD - keep us busy we will behave, honest

Last one, weird:

attachicon.gifrps20140823_104143.jpg

Looks a like poor man's version of a Moscow Subway station to me.

You should have walked to the far end of Platform 6 at Exeter St. Davids, where just beyond the toilets and half forgotten, you would have found a much worthier work of art:

post-9751-0-20633300-1408795554.jpg

The plaque inscription reads:

"In Glorious Memory of the Heroic Action at Tigley Junction on 25th August 1947, where the Brent GWR Locomotive Purity League (Direct Action Splinter Group), although greatly outnumbered, turned back the Southern Malachite hordes."

Meanwhile, not to be outdone by Exeter St.Davids, the ANTB Approved Art and Culture Sub-Committee is inviting submissions and proposals for inclusion in our own planned art and culture display which will compliment and adorn the new footbridge at Brent.

This is an early front runner, inspired by the Hilda Ogden School, painted and submitted by a Mr Mallard60022 of 36E, and is indicative of the sort of thing we may be looking for:

post-9751-0-97875200-1408798131.jpg

Although frankly we would like the standard to be higher and more inspirational than just three ducks.

• Like 3