A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Here is a link to a download of Issue 4 (July/August 2012) of the late lamented Modelling Inspiration, which was the last time I think "A Nod to Brent" appeared in the Model Railway (e)Press. It is sharing the issue with some iconic GWR layouts and does not look out of place.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58875-modelling-inspiration-4-out-now/

It may be of interest to more recent converts to ANTB, and could be re-issued provided the foreword is amended slightly to take account of Rhinos and Southern interlopers:

"Robin, or gwrrob as RMweb readers may know him better
as, is a self-confessed GWRophile who continues work on
his layout A nod to Brent in his garage sized room. A highly
disciplined approach to what’s in and what’s out of period
on his layout ensures that there’s a ‘less is more’ approach
to layout design modelling a simple but plausible through
station inspired by Brent amidst the Devon banks which was a
junction station for the branch to Kingsbridge."
Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Whilst 4540 sits in the bay we see 72xx class 7200 pass with an oil train bound for Plymouth.

This viewpoint is so underused and I'm warming to it even though I have to crop the photos quite a bit.

post-126-0-35362400-1408901579_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-09615100-1408901593_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-95181300-1408901605_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-83418600-1408901618_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-36714700-1408901635_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-32419600-1408901650_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Oh my f****ng God, I need a haircut before the RMweb show at the Ricoh ! No photoshop on that Chris.

post-14122-0-38452000-1408915369.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Well I have made it to page 19, only another 220 odd to go! One question, why 1947? Not many modellers choose the immediate post war era. I rather like the Hawksworth GWR livery. I have three finished off in this livery, 4407, 1466 and 8729.

I haven't a clue. I just fell into the timespan.I like to be different I suppose. Most of my Brent photos are 50s so that's the nearest I can get to GWR period by modelling the end and last summer.

Caught up with your Kelly Bray thread and your work in 7mm is amazing.First class.

• Like 2

How about dropping a line to the editors of the railway modelling magazines requesting they do a photoshoot. ;) I'm pretty sure I've shewn everything there is to see.I've spoken to Chris Nevard [Model Rail photographer] in the past but GWR is very common and they probably have loads to choose from and not just on RMweb.I really need to get the down station building in place plus a footbridge to get it more credible and finished.People power may work though.

I also like that photo position and it takes quite a lot of cropping to get rid of my background junk.A few more later too.

Until I read this I hadn't notice the missing building or bridge! Having now noticed, I have to say I tend to agree with your view of waiting to see it in all its glory.

Personally I'd rather it featured in BRM. I'm finding nowadays I prefer the pictures in that. Chris Nevard's pictures, whilst of course excellent, to MY eyes do have a certain look about them, with increased colour saturation and maybe contrast (Edit - my wording changed). Maybe, being of a relatively tender age, I have never seen a real working steam railway I tend to think of that in black and white/sepia/muted colours so something in eye popping Technicolor jars with my preconceptions.

Also, not sure who's point of view that was, but IMHO you can never have too much GWR (or BR(W) as an acceptable substitute.)

ANOTB has of course already featured in MI4 in some exalted company anyway and not looking at all out of place...so you needn't be modest about whether your layout is worth showcasing at some point again.

Look forward to you adding the missing features in due course.

Jon

Edited by The Great Bear
  • Like 2

I agree, even though I'm a LMS modeller, and believe that all superior locomotives should be painted Maroon :), I still love to see brilliant examples of modelling from other companies. I don't think I'm alone in thinking this either no matter what the parent company or era modelled, there is always something that draws they eye and modellers from the most inexperienced to the modelling gods can always pick up ideas (even if they are not from a proper railway LMS hint hint :))

• RMweb Gold

Until I read this I hadn't way and not looking at all out of place...so you needn't be modest about whether your layout is worth showcasing at some point again.Look forward to you adding the missing features in due course.Jon

Thanks Jon.Work is in progress on drawings for the down station building by Trains&armour of this parish Hopefully work will start on this build next year.The platform certainly needs work on it.Plenty of other details to add too

• RMweb Premium

Whilst 4540 sits in the bay we see 72xx class 7200 pass with an oil train bound for Plymouth.

This viewpoint is so underused and I'm warming to it even though I have to crop the photos quite a bit.

Great photo's Rob. Have you got one of those camera pole things that people seem to use these days to get their equipment into places that equipment was not meant to reach?

post-2326-0-14487100-1408959109.jpg

This one is a bit short but you could try it out?

P

• RMweb Premium

Well I have made it to page 19, only another 220 odd to go! One question, why 1947? Not many modellers choose the immediate post war era. I rather like the Hawksworth GWR livery. I have three finished off in this livery, 4407, 1466 and 8729.

It is because I was produced in 1947..........

Quack

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great photo's Rob. Have you got one of those camera pole things that people seem to use these days to get their equipment into places that equipment was not meant to reach?

attachicon.gifLadderthingy.jpg

This one is a bit short but you could try it out?

P

What he really needs is a duck-under teleport but because my arthritic knee took exception to the method of access - but it's really worth it once you get there ;)

• RMweb Gold

What he really needs is a duck-under teleport but because my arthritic knee took exception to the method of access - but it's really worth it once you get there ;)

I would always blame the layouts planning for this situation. There wasn't any ! I might pay for it in the long run as I'm not getting any younger.

• RMweb Premium

Mike, I understood your head had issues with the duck under too...

• RMweb Gold

Just reminded myself of the contents of MI4 - smashing stuff there Rob, thanks for the link David

Thanks Colin.A lot of photoshop in Andy's photos and quite a lot has changed too since then.