RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

and theseattachicon.gifImg_1525.jpg

P

Is that Fawlty Towers? 

"I say Fawlty have you seen the papers?"

"When I ask for a room with a view, I expect to see something interesting " 

Sorry :-)

Oh and Cap'n Kernow - your 'photos purporting to be real trees in Brent..... that can't be a real view of Brent..... No Rhinos :-) Lol

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Is that Fawlty Towers? 

Nope! Farty Owls maybe?

P

The building used to be the Shute Hotel, opposite Seaton Junction Station. I'm told it was never very successful as a Hotel (no surprise there really) but as a pub it had rather an interesting reputation.

It was very 'unwell' for many years once the Station closed, but has recently been very well refurbished and converted 'into' quite posh apartments.

All that's needed now is for some rich, retired RMWebber, (some exist....I've had abusive PMs from them), to buy and totally revamp and reopen, as a private enterprise, the old Station buildings and site including a new Loop, part funded by Network rail, CK and SWT,  on the old down side, for a reintroduced local service. There would be a complete change, to the hideous mess that is the old Express Dairy & Station Yard area, into a new Pecorama site, a themed Restaurant/Bar and with train & tram viewing area. That would be once the Seaton Tramway has been bought and extended north  from Colyton and the vehicle repair works that is there now, has been reallocated to a vacant and partially built but redundant site just up the road to the east.

There would also be a new large model railway (4mm finescale DCC) depicting Seaton Junction as it was circa 1961 as another attraction in the revamped Pecorama area. (The old N gauge layout would be sold on Classifieds).

The existing Beer Heights Light Railway would be resited and named The Shute Barton Light Railway. This would bring welcome employment to the area.

Funding would come from the purchase of and then disposal of the existing Beer Heights Pecorama site. That would become a new Garden Village under the Government's East Devon Development Scheme.

Good isn't it!

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Someone has to Mike, to pay for our pensions. :jester:

True, I'm pretty sure, of one of mine but I think I paid fairly handsomely for the other two as one of them was at one time getting 12% of my salary and later £10 a week in AVC from me ( a lot of the latter I subsequently lost as the Inland Revenue decided I would be breaking their rules if it was paid out in full).

• RMweb Gold

I bought extra years when I saw the option to go early could be on the cards as a BT pension it the same as the civil service BUT and it is a big but BT had to pay masses into the pension fund as they government did have any put by. So no imput from the tax payer there. I am know getting £100 pound a week state pension now  but I have paid NI contributions for many years including some voluntary contributions (once early retired) which became unecessary when they reduced the number of years needed to qualify. The tax on my pension increased when I gained my state pension so I am not exactly a burden on the state. Oh yes and I know get little earnings on any savings as the government is lending money to the banks so they don't need our cash.

The heaviest burden on the state is those who spent all their money, saved nothing, and now get state pension, pension credit, housing benefit help with insulation etc. none of which I ever had (VAT paid on insulation our various houses through the years). Plus those working people who get 'in work benefits' none of those in our day.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Retirement is still a long way off for me especially as the governments keep pushing the age back.I just hope I live to reach it as both my father and grandfather didn't.The latter spent all his life in the slow paced West Country too. :O

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

All that's needed now is for some rich, retired RMWebber, (some exist....I've had abusive PMs from them), to buy and totally revamp and reopen, as a private enterprise, the old Station buildings and site including a new Loop, part funded by Network rail, CK and SWT,  on the old down side, for a reintroduced local service. 

I'm happy to offer a knackered old Peco point as my contribution to the reopening of the prototype Seaton Junction, alternatively you may have my contribution as cash, provided you can change a 20 Escudo note.

• RMweb Gold

Retirement is still a long way off for me especially as the governments keep pushing the age back.I just hope I live to reach it as both my father and grandfather didn't.The latter spent all his life in the slow paced West Country too. :O

Do what you can, Rob, to get out early. At 64 yrs and 1 month, my father was widowed. At 65 yrs and 3 weeks - i.e. retired - he had a heart attack, albeit he survived. I retired at 55, but was widowed at 63 yrs and 10 months. Life can be very cruel, and you need to "head it off at the pass" if you possibly can.

Do what you can, Rob, to get out early. At 64 yrs and 1 month, my father was widowed. At 65 yrs and 3 weeks - i.e. retired - he had a heart attack, albeit he survived. I retired at 55, but was widowed at 63 yrs and 10 months. Life can be very cruel, and you need to "head it off at the pass" if you possibly can.

I agree Ian, my Farther only had 5 years of retirement so when I was made redundant at 60, (4 1/2 years ago) I looked at my finances and thought sod it, I've worked long and hard enough.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm happy to offer a knackered old Peco point as my contribution to the reopening of the prototype Seaton Junction, alternatively you may have my contribution as cash, provided you can change a 20 Escudo note.

CK I need the idiot planning the scheme needs real points....or did you mean the model part of the site?

P

• RMweb Premium

I was offered early retirement 12 years ago, on condition that I left 12 days later. I was sitting at my desk looking stunned, when a colleague came in and asked what was up. When I told him, he gave me some actuarial statistics about public service pensions. Retire at 65, and apparently on average a pension will be drawn for just two and a half years. Go at 60, and the average is 12 years. For every year under 60, you get another two. I got out, and have never regretted it. What's more, I then got some nice self employed part time work, which was entirely within my control, so my worries as to how I was going to cope financially never came about. Get out if you can.

• Like 1