A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Since starting my Churchward 45xx blog entries I'm delighted to see the number of visitors who take the time to read my ramblings. Two of the regulars, Killybegs and Ullypug, are responsible, through their layouts (Clinkerford and Wheal Elizabeth) of making me think just what could be done and sticking with it. These guys are much more prolific in builds than myself, but theirs was the inspiration.

Thanks, guys.

• Like 2

Just blundered across this photo of an S160 wending it's way West through Somerset in August 1944. Might be of interest to some on this thread if only for it's extreme rarity value:

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/PETER-GRAY-Easing-strain-help-pond/story-13807470-detail/story.html

Edit from same source details of the first one to appear at Newton Abbot too and other details in the narrative

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/PETER-GRAY-Yanks-greeted-great-excitement/story-13872329-detail/story.html

post-21098-0-13812300-1422823719_thumb.jpg

Always liked the S160s mainly I think because they were so different, if that's a good reason!

Modellers licence is displayed here with a heavily weathered (dusty) IHB switcher decaled for the V & T, which it never even got close to but because I liked and visited the railway.  A front pony truck was added to make it a bit more creditable.  Allow for the fact that this was a 1/43 scale engine and whatever Hornby rolling stock may be.  Only toy trainers can get away with this sort of thing!

Brian.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I've made one of my regular pilgrimages to Brent this weekend and enjoyed the hospitality and victuals of the Pack Horse Inn. ;)

Now under the management of a new landlord/landlady well worth a visit for a decent pint of Otter Bitter :D

No sign of the Finchings however. But the supply of Advocaat had been drunk and the Port started on! 

Sad to see the demise of the signal box however at the station.  Just the goods shed and cattle pen remain.

Keep the photos coming Robin.  Love the Grange ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

I've made one of my regular pilgrimages to Brent this weekend and enjoyed the hospitality and victuals of the Pack Horse Inn. ;)

Now under the management of a new landlord/landlady well worth a visit for a decent pint of Otter Bitter :D

No sign of the Finchings however. But the supply of Advocaat had been drunk and the Port started on! 

Sad to see the demise of the signal box however at the station.  Just the goods shed and cattle pen remain.

Keep the photos coming Robin.  Love the Grange ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Advocaat?.....isn't that like drinking alcoholic snot? (Are we allowed to say snot?? - it seems even the mention of flanges is frowned on?

• RMweb Gold

I notice the disgaree button appears to be missing not that I find much use for it.

Watched something today recorded over Xmas and found JA was in it. After all the mention of flanges etc. I now need a lie down or perhaps a cold bath.

Don

I notice the disgaree button appears to be missing not that I find much use for it.

Watched something today recorded over Xmas and found JA was in it. After all the mention of flanges etc. I now need a lie down or perhaps a cold bath.

Don

Don't tell me you watch call the midwife!

• RMweb Premium

In Devon or Cornwall? The only area I know of was the Tamar Valley growers and the Southern carried that traffic. Fruit D's to Calstock!!??? More like SR PMVs. Yippee, more excuses for Southern stock on ANTB.........

They would have gone via Okehampton, I can't see the Southern giving revenue to the Western.

• RMweb Gold

Don't tell me you watch call the midwife!

Ok I won't, Fortunately Marion doesn't watch it either, have I been missing anything?

As for the Fruit D's might they not be used for flowers, fresh vegetables and the like.

Don

Ok I won't, Fortunately Marion doesn't watch it either, have I been missing anything?

As for the Fruit D's might they not be used for flowers, fresh vegetables and the like.

Don

The Fruit Ds may well have been used for fresh vegetables (Though most of these would have probably been conveyed in express freights, rather than in passenger-rated stock); more likely, they'd have carried fresh flowers, or possibly rabbits. At peak times, Siphon Gs would be used alongside the Fruit Ds; both were provide with fold-down shelves to accomodate such traffic.