RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Phil, I have a feeling the engine in your picture is BR Brunswick green.  Surely Bullied green is a lot lighter in colour.  Always been a Southern fan although didn't see much other than what came down to Plymouth which accounts for the lack of lines in my ABC book.

While we're at it, I rather think the Barbican and Sutton Harbour are one of the same.  Fish were landed at the fish market  ( next to the public loos) but there was no rail connection there, the nearest being at North Quay

Brian.

Yes of course and the coaches BR Southern Region Green rather than Malachite Green, but even that green looke good IMO. However WR Coc and Cream really was rather nice.

So was the Barbican the Land area and Sutton Harbour the water area? Fancy me not knowing that! I just called the whole thing the Barbican.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Brian. I now sort of remember the area as it developed into Sutton Quay I think it was. Long before the marina was built I think some sailing boats began to berth there. However, I left Plymuff in 1966 and have only revisited  for short periods so really know nothing about what's happened down there since then!

Colin, that LSWR building is something I also can not remember seeing. I'd have thought that LSWR admin would have been across at Friary or down at Devonport.

Anyway, back to Brent and apologies.

Quackers.

Thanks Brian. I now sort of remember the area as it developed into Sutton Quay I think it was. Long before the marina was built I think some sailing boats began to berth there. However, I left Plymuff in 1966 and have only revisited  for short periods so really know nothing about what's happened down there since then!

Colin, that LSWR building is something I also can not remember seeing. I'd have thought that LSWR admin would have been across at Friary or down at Devonport.

Anyway, back to Brent and apologies.

Quackers.

This building would have been a collection and delivery point for parcels and sundries traffic, so that local customers wouldn't have had to go to Friary or Devonport, or worse, give their custom to the GWR. There were similar establishments elsewhere; sometimes just a small shop-front, but also some relatively grand buildings. I believe the GWR had an office on the Liverpool side of the Mersey, some distance from any lines over which they ran trains, whilst Cardiff had a very imposing L&NWR goods shed near the docks, despite the nearest L&NWR lines being many miles away.

• RMweb Gold

This building would have been a collection and delivery point for parcels and sundries traffic, so that local customers wouldn't have had to go to Friary or Devonport, or worse, give their custom to the GWR. There were similar establishments elsewhere; sometimes just a small shop-front, but also some relatively grand buildings. I believe the GWR had an office on the Liverpool side of the Mersey, some distance from any lines over which they ran trains, whilst Cardiff had a very imposing L&NWR goods shed near the docks, despite the nearest L&NWR lines being many miles away.

A few images of the L&NWR Warehouse as it is now.

Rob.

post-14122-0-56941600-1433862516.jpeg

post-14122-0-00224200-1433862596.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

The Barbican building simply contained a 'receiving office' - such things were typical in the old railway age as were 'town offices' which were basically booking/enquiry offices located in town centres rather than at railway stations  (I did some relief work at one of the three ex-GWR town offices in London, just off Oxford Street in my case).  Alas the lettering on the L&SWR office has got into a very poor state and it didn't look at all good the last time we were down on the Barbican

Many of the Railway companies had offices and or depots isolated from the main network - for example the GWR goods depot in Manchester was at Liverpool Road adjacent to the Liverpool & Manchester Railway's original terminus and the GWR ran its trains to it using Running Powers (it also ran its own passenger services into Manchester Exchange until WWII); in fact one of the earliest 'narrow gauge' long distance trains on the GWR was the nightly Paddington - Manchester goods.  

The LNWR had Running Powers to Cardiff over the Rhymney Railway - as far as 'Cardiff Passenger Station' (i.e the RR station and later Queen St) for all trains and thence to its goods depot for freight trains only and it exercised those powers for freight  (in fact the LNWR had running powers over most of the Rhymney's network except for three branches although the only ones it/the LMS exercised were those to Cardiff for freight trains).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ehattons.com/122332/Hornby_R4684_Collett_corridor_3rd_class_in_BR_crimson_cream_livery/StockDetail.aspx

I think I've decided to keep the Comet coaches in the livery they are now after the recent Hornby announcement. Would the C54 above match what I have here and using my early crest Castle ?

post-126-0-33519800-1433875327_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Mike's comments concerning the LSWR sign is a shame.  Its remarkable what with bombing, weather and vandalism, that it survived over the years thus far.  Even here in the nearest big city, Tacoma, which had a large industrial area, such signs are sometimes restored to reflect the city's heritage but which nowadays are slowly morphing into lofts and trendy shops and restaurants.  If it can be done here, surely Plymouth can do it as they too are going through the same transformation in the Barbican area.

Brian.

I rather fancy modelling this building from the Barbican and I may try to fit it into my Southampton Bargate model

attachicon.gifPEN34-2439.jpg

attachicon.gifPEN34-2440.jpg

Just across from this used to be an antique dealer glorying in the name Robin Bastard. It was featured on That's Life.

And just behind the LSWR offices is a cafe where my Dad took me on Sunday mornings in the early 1950s. Fizzy orange and Smiths Crisps with the little blue twist of salt. Think the cafe's still there.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I bought swmbo a very nice ring from an antique shop on the Barbican whilst on holiday last year.Got me plenty of brownie points I tell you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I bought a signed print of Don Breckon's "Morning Delivery" from the gallery and used to like sunday lunch upstsirs at the harbourside pub with the big window (the ship?)

That's one 2manyspams would approve of me thinks.

• Like 1

Although I "am" from another club of the Big-Four, this is perhaps an interesting issue for you.

With drawings, photographs , dimensions and technical descriptions I have collected in the last months, I can build realistic buildings and structures on my Medway Valley Line based layout. For this purpose, I create first CAD drawings for building constructions and second for separated surfaces (‘wallpaper ‘). For the technical building constructions, I use solid hard materials as plywood, MDF, ABS, Acrylic, PET and cardboard. And for the surfaces, I will work with hard and soft molds and/or clays.

surface02.png

wall02.png

For "how to" very soft and flexible wall surfaces, able to cut with a lasercutter, see: https://medwayvalley...s-and-surfaces/

Grzz, Hans

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought a signed print of Don Breckon's "Morning Delivery" from the gallery and used to like sunday lunch upstsirs at the harbourside pub with the big window (the ship?)

http://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/pub/plymouth/the-ship

CTMK and I went there one day for her to draw seagulls for an art project she was doing at the time. I bought an ice cream and was successful in eating the whole thing myself. I also went to a work-related dinner in one of the restaurants there, which someone else paid for, to celebrate someone's 40th year in the industry. It's also not that far from the current location of the Plymouth Staples store, which CTMK and I didn't visit a few days ago to purchase a new shredder. We went to the one in Exeter instead, and had a latte in an adjacent coffee house too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

West Somerset Railway pics to come this weekend chaps; once I have returned to my nest and rehydrated!

Bit OT I suppose but...............the Manor was superb up the grades today. The Mod Hall rather more sedately driven. 

If you have not been to the WSR Rob, you must do it mate.

Oh yes, three loco's in steam today.....midweek, not school hols; all stations staffed as were the Buffet Cars.

Very impressed with this railway.  

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4