Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

It's about time you weathered that road bridge, all those loco's passing under it would have blackened it somewhat.

Agreed but I'm not brave enough to make a pig's ear of it yet. :O

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Smashing stuff.

I always wondered about Hornby painting the toilet windows on the Maunsell coaches white. On my BR versions I removed the white paint and left them frosted as per photos from that period.

Perhaps Muz will advise if the white wc windows are correct for Rob's earlier period?

(it's an easy fix and involves removing the body, some MEK, a small screwdriver and some paper kitchen towel.)

Having just managed to ruin an Oxford Diecast bus, I can attest that applying Humbrol Matt Varnish to transparent plastic can create a very effective frosted glass look - even if you didn't want it :( :(

• RMweb Gold

Here's a reminder of the prototype and obviously it's been painted since the end of steam but I have a photo to go on.

post-126-0-04964200-1439230482.jpeg

post-126-0-53263100-1439230503.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 8

Here's a reminder of the prototype and obviously it's been painted since the end of steam but I have a photo to go on.

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-08856300-1363893465.jpeg

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-56817400-1363893448.jpeg

Not that filthy on the last day of Kingsbridge Branch services (14/09/63) .....just some evidence of engines waiting under/near to the bridge before setting off to Newton and all points east and nothing much on the right side at all. All looks pretty smart for a station about to enter its death throes.

post-9751-0-61669000-1439238876.jpg

......Nice cordylines too...

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Not that filthy on the last day of Kingsbridge Branch services (14/09/63)

......Nice cordylines too...

Don't tell Sierd !

I think I can manage that light weathering with a dry brush sometime this week.

• RMweb Premium

Those are really nice photo's. Even the one with the bog cart(s). Full of 'character' and atmosphere, however, quite 'ageless' if that is the term. In many ways they could span more than just a few years. if you don't fuss about livery and the carts of course.

Q

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seen on Farcebook ,I'm currently regretting not pre-ordering the new Hornby King. ;) Neal Ball and Sidecar Racer of this parish have a beauty to come in their chosen livery.

I look forward to seeing your idea. I digitally removed the BR lining then converted the green to black for that picture, but it was also a test to see how the loco would look. I have forgotten so much info now that it is not in everyday use in the business, so while I recall the W.Region was painting some of its locos green (in 1955?), I was wondering which loco classes were affected.....Hall 14XX, 45XX but which others? They got the pre-1956 totem as well.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looks good to me Rob........................

P

Too busy watching the Great British Bake Off to post a photo.

Mike has returned from his cruise. Stand by your beds.

What's the verdict on the King then.

• RMweb Premium

King.... no idea, not looked at it yet.

Apologies, a couple of weeks back I was talking out of my **** as usual after seeing the rather good pic Rob posted of Seaton Station (the Art Deco style one).

It was the Axminster Branch that was the late build around 1903. Seaton got that Art Deco Frontage when the station was rebuilt in the 20s; the branch was opened in the 1860s!! There ya go, I thought you might like to have a laugh at that.

Bake off.............I get fat just watching that.....so I don't watch it any more. I'm watching some prog about 'our' new Aircraft Carrier and the American Vtol Jets that will be based on it. All I can say is...........wow!

Ar8e

Too busy watching the Great British Bake Off to post a photo.

Must have gone to extra time and penalties this week then.....

Latest: Scotswoman who bakes bland shortbread is eliminated...

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

I am indeed returned - after a somewhat adventurous time.  We started at Weymouth (track still on position of the quay branch - checked from the terminus as far as the first cafe, unable to pass that as sausages were on the menu).  Spent the first night in Weymouth Bay so nicely GWR, the second night off Slapton sands, the third off Fowey, the fourth off St Ives - able to see the station but saw no trains due to poor light on Saturday and leaving earlyish on Sunday.  Then a major diversion from GWR territory so we were at sea heading north on the Sunday night after being diverted from Wales to Scotland.  Due to being diverted off the diversion we spent the next night (Monday) off Wicklow in Ireland (no trains seen) and duly headed north yesterday (Tuesday) on which day I saw the first train I had seen since getting off one at Weymouth - it was an Irish Rail (or whatever their latest name is) 4 car dmu rounding the headland at Bray Head.  

Next train - seen today - was a Scotrail emu which we joined at Greenock enroute to Glasgow and we didn't get back onto GWR metals until Leamington Spa.    CK to note that I have had a sausage with my breakfast on almost every day since joining the ship at Weymouth but will now be going cold turkey on sausages (and breakfast).  I've had a look at the Hornby 'King' pictures and it might be quite nice when it's finished - nice to have a  highly detailed model but it does mean it is far easier to get little things wrong if they go for super-detail.

• Like 10