A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Been mostly off line for a while so this is a pleasant suprise to return to. Thanks for your informative posts about it Rob  :good:

If the chassis is any good I have visions of chopping it up and backdating it. I have an older tender somewhere. Although having said that, the Mainline body might actually be an easier point of departure for that...

Me too. Wow. Is that a 2500 gallon tender as well?

Oakhill

Mind you, when you google "ready-to-lay", it doesn't always come up with track:

It doesn't often come up with that sort of picture either .... Uhmn, must check my Google preferences...  :angel:

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't often come up with that sort of picture either .... Uhmn, must check my Google preferences...  :angel:

Whatever you do don't type A nod to Brent into Google images as you get all kind of weird stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Well, if you didn't hear him surely you must have seen him ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That is merely the floating residence of Gerald, the Chief Rabbit, who likes to take a turn around the bay from time to time, when he's not operating his 'O' gauge model railway around his extensive burrow.

• RMweb Gold

Quite concerned, Rob, that you cannot tell your own Halls apart.

Modellers licence to make you think I have a few but in reality I only have one.Smoke and mirrors or baffles brains, take your pick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, my father is a Napoleon nut, so I grew up with military uniform prints on the walls, a 1796 pattern light cavalry sabre hanging on the Sitting Room wall and, fatally, shelf after shelf of books on the subject.

By the age of 5 my school teachers were sending home notes complaining about my obsessive interest in the Napoleonic period and, when the rather prim and superior guide at Plas Newydd tried to trick me into misidentifying the, then, Earl of Uxbridge as the Duke of Wellington in a painting of Waterloo, I put her very firmly, and publically, in her place.

God, what an awful child I must have been.

Then, my father made a fatal error.  He took me to the Dart Valley Railway.

The rest, as they say, is an unhealthy obsession of infinite duration. 

I know it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, but a 1796 pattern cavalry light sabre? Wow! (Yes, I know...).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, if you didn't hear him surely you must have seen him ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

(Nerdy tour guide mode on)

That picture was taken in Darling Harbour, Sydney NSW. Rubber Duck was an "Art Installation" by Dutchman Florentijn Hofman forming part of the 2013 Sydney Festival.

Behind Phil is the Pyrmont Bridge. It was restored for the 1988 Bicentennial celebrations and is still swung as a tourist attraction. On the bridge you can see the old monorail track which has now gone following closure at the end of June 2013 and in teh left forground is either the bow or stern, depending which way you are going, of the old Manly ferry South Steyne - now a floating restaurant.

(Nerdy tour guide mode off)

• RMweb Premium

That picture was taken in Darling Harbour, Sydney NSW. Rubber Duck was an "Art Installation" by Dutchman Florentijn Hofman forming part of the 2013 Sydney Festival.

Behind Phil is the Pyrmont Bridge. It was restored for the 1988 Bicentennial celebrations and is still swung as a tourist attraction. On the bridge you can see the old monorail track which has now gone following closure at the end of June 2013 and in teh left forground is either the bow or stern, depending which way you are going, of the old Manly ferry South Steyne - now a floating restaurant.

Oh poo, my cover is blown (see what I said there?). 

I am a little concerned about Ru**er and Duck when searching with the tax evading avoiding engine.

Luvva Duck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

13 tanks and a full brake - no wonder it's not a mogul up front!

Can't zoom or use clever software, but I would guess that is a K40 or a K42 at the back.

Lots of the usual 6 wheel milks in the centre, and bang in the middle a 4 wheeler?

And at the front - nice and easy.

How modellable in the same order:

K42 or K40 - quite easy if you re-side a Hornby 57' with some brass sides, and don't use anything but Evostick to put the sides on.  OR  buy the complete kits and solder.

so quite "do-able"

6 wheel and 4 wheel milks - 6 wheelers - from Lima to Dapol, thereare zillions out there - and make en dirty.  4 wheeler - butcher about one of the later Hornby offerings - quite a few firms do a good UD transfer set - lots of designs available.

Very do-able

Engine - not hard at all.

I will be running the 1948 version of this train, but as lots of my tankers are the BDMRC limited ediotn ones, I won't be lathering the grubby on then.

Thanks for a great photo and for the inspiration as usual Robin.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

And to continue the tour here is a view on the bridge of the nice little control tower and of the monorail track (still in use when I took this pic back in 2004)

post-6859-0-56098700-1454152968_thumb.jpg

And inside the control tower here are the controls for swinging the bridge

post-6859-0-76711700-1454153019_thumb.jpg

With close-up of one of the control stands

post-6859-0-77013700-1454153061_thumb.jpg

And here is the bridge being swung - with no need for ships to enter the inner basin of  Darling Harbour the monorail didn't swing (probably just as well)

post-6859-0-14304000-1454153151_thumb.jpg

And finally a monorail crossing onto the bridge.

post-6859-0-96915300-1454153470_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Lots of the usual 6 wheel milks in the centre, and bang in the middle a 4 wheeler?

Not a 4 wheeler - they died out in the 1930s because they rode badly and what was loaded as milk was butter by the time it reached its destination.  It is a 6 wheel transporter wagon loaded with a road tanker.

Chris

Modellers licence to make you think I have a few but in reality I only have one.

I was going to start a campaign for a second Hall on ANTB but, having "researched" Devon allocated locomotives as at 31/12/47, it appears other tender classes may have to take precedence:

Castles 28, Kings 17, 4-4-0s Bulldog/Birds etc 14, WD 2-8-0s 12, Halls 10, Moguls 10, 28XX 10, Counties 6, Stars 4, Granges 4, 47XX 2, and 2251 Class 1.