A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Don't tempt me....

I've been searching for photos of these (or the flats) west of Exeter without luck. Until I find a prototype the wallet is staying shut....

Sierd  [Trains@Armour] of this parish assures me​ they are suitable for use on the West of England mainline. ;) 

• RMweb Gold

For a comparison, the below coaches were painted with Halfords Volvo Dark Grey.   The one on the right is an out of the box Hornby Hawksworth in post war livery. 

Have at last got myself a can of Halfords Volvo Grey.  I like the resultant roof colour but as it is gloss, it needs toning down; should I use enamel or acrylic satin varnish, or will either do?   Thanks for any advice..

They need to be dead matt - Dullcote should produce the right result.

They need to be dead matt - Dullcote should produce the right result.

An advantage of using an acrylic varnish is that you be able to buy a non yellowing version. That isn't to say a lacquer or oil based version WILL yellow just that it has the ability to yellow over time. That may or may not bother you.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting fact about the Glastonbury Festival - it doesn't take place in Glastonbury but at Pilton, several miles up the road from Glastonbury.  'Pilton Festival' just doesn't have the same ring to it as Glastonbury does it, and the mean spirited locals operate a speed camera so watch it if driving down that part of the A361.

In fact, the whole A361 between Glastonbury and Shepton Mallet is best avoided completely during the festival.

• RMweb Gold

These have already been sprayed with Halfords satin varnish, I think a roof would benefit from a coat of mat varnish.

I must get some more Testors Dullcote ordered to finish them off...

How did you find the Halfords satin varnish, Rich? I like their primers and blacks, is the varnish also as good?

Also, where would you order Testors Dullcote (aerosol) now, please?

• RMweb Gold

How did you find the Halfords satin varnish, Rich? I like their primers and blacks, is the varnish also as good?

Also, where would you order Testors Dullcote (aerosol) now, please?

So far I have used it on coaches (sprayed in Halfords paint) and my modified hall, and been very pleased with the result.

As for dullcote, I need to buy more! Looking on google gives a number of options the cheapest being "wheelspin models"at 4.99 plus post. It's also available on Amazon (but costs 14£ including postage)

Edit: thanks Robgood to see Antics stock it, I foresee a trip to Stonehouse to pick some up on Friday...

post-54-0-76220200-1498063166_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-89067200-1498063189_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Nice picture, but after the Loughor derailment of 1904, the GWR ran assisting locos without ponies or bogies inside an engine with them. I suppose the PDR has lower operating speeds, so they can get away with it. Still, it would have been nice on the beach today watching that go by.

• RMweb Gold

Page 1000 tomorrow, party poppers at the ready. Rob's buying the drinks so get your orders in.

Creme de Menthe.

• RMweb Gold

Page 1000 tomorrow, party poppers at the ready. Rob's buying the drinks so get your orders in.

Was I closest voting for 8th June ? Nothing much else happened that day after all.

On a technical note, are we worried about a millennium bug?

• RMweb Gold

Babysham & Advocaat ready for the big 1000!

Mine's a Snowball.... :D

Edited by 46444